Correct address, wrong location.

The place to discuss editing specifically related to house numbering (addresses): how to optimize locations, set stop-points, etc.

Moderators: Unholy, bextein

Re: Correct address, wrong location.

Postby AlanOfTheBerg » Fri May 09, 2014 5:48 pm

jonnypin wrote:another wazer with the same problem...PeoPle Please

What problem exactly? And have you read ALL the house number documentation?
Wiki Resources: Map Editing Manual | alanoftheberg@gmail.com
Oregon-based US Country Manager | iPhone6 - VZ - iOS 9.3.2 | Waze v4.7.0.1
AlanOfTheBerg
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs

Postby ninsianna » Fri Jun 13, 2014 3:43 pm

Jumping on the bandwagon here. I'm new to San Antonio, and new to Waze (since March for both). The first time I used Waze to map to my apartment, it took me to the neighborhood behind my complex. I had to use google maps to find my way back, because it took me pretty deep into the neighborhood. Yay! Exploring more areas, no major peeve, I was amuse more than anything. So I submitted a map error, and kept driving to my apt with waze up, along the route that would actually take me home. No change. So I did some researching through the forums and the wiki. I submitted an address change, created a point/area for my apt complex, with the entrance on the street where you have to enter from. A few weeks went by. Same routing issue. I read some more, and discovered the google maps issue. Well, google always routes me correctly, but waze doesn't. Nonetheless, I submitted a correction to google maps moving the location point of the address to the street you have to enter on. It's been 2 weeks since google has responded, and approved my change request. Last night, waze again routed me out of my way, to take me the wrong way to the neighborhood behind my complex. *sigh*

TL;DR : same problem, no changes despite correcting google maps too (and google routes correctly)
ninsianna

Postby CBenson » Fri Jun 13, 2014 4:04 pm

Have you routing to saved the location in the app (a search entry with a star) or are you routing to a history entry (a search entry with a clock)? If so these are saved as coordinates and will not change when the map (either the waze map or the Google map) is updated. Are you still routed the wrong way to the neighborhood behind your complex if you do a new search for the address and select the entry with the tear drop pin?
Regional Coordinator: Mid-Atlantic, US
Verizon, Nexus 6, Android 6.0.1, Waze 4.3.0.2
CBenson
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs

Postby AlanOfTheBerg » Fri Jun 13, 2014 5:25 pm

CBenson wrote:Have you routing to saved the location in the app (a search entry with a star) or are you routing to a history entry (a search entry with a clock)?

A Star search entry is a Favorite. ninsianna, you need to be using the search entry with a pin marker. Those are live search results. Other icons are saved/stored locations and will not reflect location changes.
Wiki Resources: Map Editing Manual | alanoftheberg@gmail.com
Oregon-based US Country Manager | iPhone6 - VZ - iOS 9.3.2 | Waze v4.7.0.1
AlanOfTheBerg
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs

Postby ploben » Fri Jul 18, 2014 5:14 pm

Bigbear3764 wrote:Because the pin location is closer to the alley than the street the address is on. If you are in North America, Google pins are set back on the property. Do a Google search of your address and see where the pin is. Once Waze starts using it's own addresses, and if they entered, Waze has a stop point for the street.

Is there any estimate on when Waze will start using it's own HNs and stop points FIRST before looking to Google SECOND if it can't find it internally? I think this will clear up a few issues with HNs in Waze?
ploben

Postby CBenson » Fri Jul 18, 2014 5:39 pm

My understanding is that when autofill results are generated, they are generated from the Google database and this is unlikely to change in the near future. However, if there is an exact match in the waze HNs to a selected autofill result, then waze will route to the waze stop point for that address.

If you complete the search, then waze first parses the search to determine if it is for an address or for a POI. If it is for an address, then my understanding is that waze does look to its own HNs first. However, it only looks to those HNs that have been added or modified by an editor. If it finds such a waze HN match it uses it first before looking to Google addresses. If there is not a perfect match, there may be results from both waze and Google shown on the waze tab.
CBenson
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs

Postby ploben » Fri Jul 18, 2014 5:53 pm

CBenson wrote:My understanding is that when autofill results are generated, they are generated from the Google database and this is unlikely to change in the near future. However, if there is an exact match in the waze HNs to a selected autofill result, then waze will route to the waze stop point for that address.

If you complete the search, then waze first parses the search to determine if it is for an address or for a POI. If it is for an address, then my understanding is that waze does look to its own HNs first. However, it only looks to those HNs that have been added or modified by an editor. If it finds such a waze HN match it uses it first before looking to Google addresses. If there is not a perfect match, there may be results from both waze and Google shown on the waze tab.

It's unfortunate the auto complete doesn't look internal first, that would make sense.

I think the exact match has a flaw, in my other post about Quail Crossing vs Quail Xing, Waze still won't recognize my Waze pin in auto complete even though the address, street name, town is EXACT except the suffix.

On the topic of HNs that have been imported but not touched by an editor, don't these imported HNs have a stop point on the actual street? If Waze imported HNs for internal use why would they not then refer to them if they are searched?
ploben

Postby CBenson » Fri Jul 18, 2014 5:59 pm

ploben wrote:don't these imported HNs have a stop point on the actual street?

Yes. I believe the stop point is simply closest point on the street to the house pin.

ploben wrote:If Waze imported HNs for internal use why would they not then refer to them if they are searched?

I'm assuming that they have more trust in the Google data than the data that they imported.
CBenson
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs

Postby usa_esu9r5bj » Mon Aug 11, 2014 7:45 am

Thx good stuff
usa_esu9r5bj

Postby NoelMoriarty » Tue Dec 08, 2015 6:57 pm

Isn't part of the issue here that postcode areas cover what can be a large area, even at the lowest level of granularity. Consequently Waze thinks my home location is 200 yards away from where it actually is, and whenever I pull up it thinks the journey is still in progress. Is there a way I can 'fix' the location and override it, for a favoured location? Or have I missed the blindingly obvious somewhere?
NoelMoriarty

PreviousNext

Return to House Numbers (Addresses)