The place to discuss editing specifically related to house numbering (addresses): how to optimize locations, set stop-points, etc.
Post by taco909
AlanOfTheBerg wrote:
Taco909 wrote:So Waze will only route to the stop-point, or if there is, say a PLR that goes directly to the address pin, will it use the stop point or the PLR?
Always the stop point only.
Good to know.
This is very helpful, particularly in dealing with URs out of private gated communities with no named streets (addresses are on the feeder road, stop point being the guard shack or driveway entrance).

To clarify based on a comment made in chat last night...

Given:
If the Waze address is not present or has not been moved from its imported location, then the Google pin is used.
If the Waze address is present AND has been moved from its imported location or created after the import, then the Waze stop point is used.

The comment last night was that we only need to note the beginning and ending addresses on a block, IE, for the 600 block, adding "600/601" at one end and "698/699" at the opposite end is sufficient.
I disagreed, thinking that if the driver is searching for 655, not finding it, Waze will still use the Google pin and possibly be routed to the next street over. Is this correct, or is an address range manually input sufficient?

Follow-on... I have a couple of locations where the address is on a MH, but access is only via the street the next block over. If a Waze pin is present, will deleting it cause Waze to revert to the Google pin and then route the driver to the "incorrect" (in this case, correct) road if the Google pin is placed properly for that to happen?
taco909
Map Editor - Level 4
Map Editor - Level 4
Send a message
-- Rich

Post by taco909
Perfect. That is how I suspected it worked, though I wasn't sure if deleting an address would cause it to revert or if the addresses (once deleted) were stored in cache until the same number is used again.

So in the case of the OP... and this is speaking PURELY hypothetically... Deleting the Waze address pin and making the home's driveway a PLR or PVT would be one (unacceptable) solution.

Fortunately, it seems that we now have a better resource than being the equivalent of an L1 on GMM to attempt to move Google pins.
Of course, in the case where we WANT the stop point to be on the "wrong" street it may still be a challenge, particularly in the case of another thread where there is a tunnel and highway over the feeder road to the actual destination.
taco909
Map Editor - Level 4
Map Editor - Level 4
Send a message
-- Rich

Post by taco909
CBenson wrote:Regardless, I agree moving the Waze pin never has any effect, as only the Waze stop point is used for routing.
Other than moving the Waze pin "activates" it as compared to the untouched imported, right?
So it would not matter where it is moved to (assuming you are holding the stop point), just that it be "touched"

Or are the imported address pins sufficient as-is? I've always heard that they need to be "bumped" to activate them over the default Google pin.
taco909
Map Editor - Level 4
Map Editor - Level 4
Send a message
-- Rich

Post by taco909
Just a bump... What about adding a place point, using the correct stop point with the correct address?

I know this is not a solution for residences in general (perhaps for condo/apartments?) but is this valid for businesses?
Will a place point marked "Bob's Alternators, 123 Main" (actual address 123 Main Ste 5-C) route properly if it is placed on the PLR at the back of the complex?
taco909
Map Editor - Level 4
Map Editor - Level 4
Send a message
-- Rich

Post by taco909
So for businesses where the stop point is not on the main road, it would be preferable to eliminate the Waze address pin(s) and replace them with the Waze Place Pins including the correct address in the Place?

One thing I see a lot of, and sometimes it is possibly justified, but others completely in error, is when we have 100 addresses for a condo/townhouse development all in the same spot with the same stop point.
I ran into this the other day on a couple of complexes where all of the street names AND house numbers were very plain in Street View. New editor Timothy007 brought one to my attention and the two of us spend some time cleaning it up honing his addressing chops. The other was a complete cluster with misnamed streets, and when I renamed the streets, the (stacked) addresses jumped to the next block. I ended up having to clear all of the addresses and "drive" the entire neighborhood in SV to clean it all up.

So if anyone pinged me in chat last night and I ignored you... that's what I was doing.
Bummer though... over an hour of work (maybe two?) and I'll only get edit credit for the 6 or 8 segments the addresses were attached to.
taco909
Map Editor - Level 4
Map Editor - Level 4
Send a message
-- Rich

Post by taco909
And a permalink would help.

It may be that the editor who placed the junction of 89th and East End did not place the junction at the corner, and the stop point ended up wrapped around the corner.... or that segment of 89th could be completely missing and misnamed "East End" so it reads that segment incorrectly.

If you are saying that your stop point SHOULD be on 89th, then that is the topic of this thread and currently can only be done by deleting the address pin and adding a "Place" pin.
taco909
Map Editor - Level 4
Map Editor - Level 4
Send a message
-- Rich

Post by taco909
CBenson wrote:
Taco909 wrote:If you are saying that your stop point SHOULD be on 89th, then that is the topic of this thread and currently can only be done by deleting the address pin and adding a "Place" pin.
I don't think this is going to work to change the routing for a search for "200 East End Ave, New York, NY."
Even with the pin addressed correctly, you think it will grab the Google pin instead?
Then the only solution is to slip the Google pin to 89th.

Obviously, no easy solutions on this or the OP would not have started the thread.
taco909
Map Editor - Level 4
Map Editor - Level 4
Send a message
-- Rich

Post by taco909
While I can't see the actual stop point, it sounds like you're saying that the stop point is at the corner of 89th and East End.
If so, it appears that East End becomes one-way at that point and the only option at the junction is to turn left.
Even if the stop point is located north of the intersection, the driver will be instructed to turn left on 89th, and at best, taken around the block via York and back down East End.

Zoom to the street/building, click the street, then on the left select "Edit House Numbers"
East End is locked at L2 so you may only be able to view, and if that is the case, then you will not be able to see the stop point either.

I'm betting that an editor placed the stop point at the intersection to prevent the "around the block" trip.
taco909
Map Editor - Level 4
Map Editor - Level 4
Send a message
-- Rich

Post by taco909
bhartman wrote:1000 to make level 2? That's a heapload! I don't know how y'all do it.
Once you get to L3 you'll think 1,000 is a slow weekend ;)
taco909
Map Editor - Level 4
Map Editor - Level 4
Send a message
-- Rich

Post by taco909
That's a rough one.
Only thing I can think of is to delete the Waze address pin (which has the stop point on the named road) and go into GMM and add a pin closer to the road that needs to be routed through.

It's a reverse case of map editors cursing Google for putting the place (which Waze uses for a stop point) in the center of the property, rather than the end of the driveway).
In this case, they are being routed "properly" for most single-family residential locations.

But... I thought I read that Waze was tweaking this so even if the Google pin is closer to a different road, if the pin includes a street, Waze will use that street... if that has happened or will happen, then it is no longer a solution.

The only alternative would be for the reporter to park at the front door, pin that location as "Home", and then route to the address-free favorite, since it will route to the GPS point rather than a named address.

It's not ideal and certainly not a fix-all that is going to correct issues for everyone, nor will it help a person direct friends to their home, but it can work on a case by case basis.
taco909
Map Editor - Level 4
Map Editor - Level 4
Send a message
-- Rich