Get a sneak peek at whats next for Permanent Hazards on our April 7th Office Hours!
The place to discuss editing specifically related to house numbering (addresses): how to optimize locations, set stop-points, etc.

Placing stop point on different street than address street

Post by
How can I set it so that the stop point to an address that belongs to one street is actually on a point along a different street? (The street on the other side of the house, effectively.) I seem to only be allowed to pull the stop point along the road I'm editing, not onto a separate road.
stop-point.png
The house shown in the picture belongs to the blue road, but its stop point should really be where my mouse pointer is placed.

POSTER_ID:16957286

Send a message

Post by AlanOfTheBerg
Taco909 wrote:In my experience, in your screen shot, simply pulling the address pin for 13 back to the lawn should be enough to push the routing to that road.
Not true. Waze routes only to the street the house number is set to, if Waze uses the Waze result for the address. If Waze uses or the user chooses the Google marker for the address, then Waze will route to the closest Waze segment to the lat/lon returned by Google.
AlanOfTheBerg
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps
Send a message
Wiki Resources: Map Editing Manual | alanoftheberg@gmail.com
Oregon-based US Ex-Global Champ Editor | iPhone13Pro - VZ

Post by AlanOfTheBerg
Taco909 wrote:So Waze will only route to the stop-point, or if there is, say a PLR that goes directly to the address pin, will it use the stop point or the PLR?
Always the stop point only.
AlanOfTheBerg
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps
Send a message

Post by AlanOfTheBerg
Taco909 wrote:The comment last night was that we only need to note the beginning and ending addresses on a block, IE, for the 600 block, adding "600/601" at one end and "698/699" at the opposite end is sufficient.
I disagreed, thinking that if the driver is searching for 655, not finding it, Waze will still use the Google pin and possibly be routed to the next street over. Is this correct, or is an address range manually input sufficient?
In my (limited) testing of address interpolation, I do not think it works with Waze addresses. When it doesn't find the Waze exact match, it uses the Google match. Google will do address interpolation and return its "best guess" based on interpolation of existing, known addresses.
Taco909 wrote:Follow-on... I have a couple of locations where the address is on a MH, but access is only via the street the next block over. If a Waze pin is present, will deleting it cause Waze to revert to the Google pin and then route the driver to the "incorrect" (in this case, correct) road if the Google pin is placed properly for that to happen?
That is how it should work, yes. If the correct stop point is NOT on the street named for the address, then Waze should not have a House Number for that address. I just added a 2nd Red Note to the Things to Remember section of the documentation: https://wiki.waze.com/wiki/House_Numbers_in_WME
AlanOfTheBerg
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps
Send a message

Post by AlanOfTheBerg
Taco909 wrote:So for businesses where the stop point is not on the main road, it would be preferable to eliminate the Waze address pin(s) and replace them with the Waze Place Pins including the correct address in the Place?
Yes. That's documented: https://wiki.waze.com/wiki/House_Numbers_in_WME
Taco909 wrote:One thing I see a lot of, and sometimes it is possibly justified, but others completely in error, is when we have 100 addresses for a condo/townhouse development all in the same spot with the same stop point.
Same with those as documented above. If the final destination is not at a location you can put a stop point, don't use the Waze House Number.
AlanOfTheBerg
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps
Send a message

Post by AlanOfTheBerg
Based on functionality, it does indeed appear that private places are the intended solution for house number routing stop point functionality limitations. I don't have direct confirmation from waze staff n however.
AlanOfTheBerg
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps
Send a message

Post by AlanOfTheBerg
PealRinger wrote:
AlanOfTheBerg wrote:Based on functionality, it does indeed appear that private places are the intended solution for house number routing stop point functionality limitations. I don't have direct confirmation from waze staff n however.
Do we know what the official line on this is now?
taco909 wrote:Alan's statement is not in conflict with the Wiki.
Yes, correct.

@PealRinger, the current guidance now is that Waze private Places should be used for routing to houses not located directly on the named street. We do this for both actual residences and for offices. This allows us to have better control than relying on google for non-street address locations.

This has not yet made it into the wiki.
AlanOfTheBerg
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps
Send a message

Post by ArthurUSCG
taco909 wrote:
CBenson wrote:The problem I have with airports/golf courses is that if the names of the waze place and the Google POI don't match exactly, the Google place is still displayed in the autocomplete results typically before the waze result.
Revisiting this....

I may have mentioned this before, but I think a perfect solution for this kind of situation would be for Waze to enable a new "road" type.

"Fence" or "Perimeter"
A non-routable (period, no penalties involved) segment that defines a barrier that can not be crossed by the routing engine.
Not rendered on the app, only visible within WME.
Any stop point within the perimeter is forced to route via the segment(s) that pass through the opening(s).

To add to the tool kit, in the same manner that Toolbox can create a Roundabout Area Place using the segments as the perimeter, a new tool that could use the perimeter of an existing area place to create these perimeter segments, automatically broken where routable segments cross the perimeter.

This golf course isn't the best example since its parking lot is actually somewhat centered, but what we see in most cases on courses like this is the clubhouse is at one end or the other... those can never be made to properly route using the Google pin.... but being able to "fence off" the perimeter of the area would cause routing to work properly no matter what location result is used.
golfcourse.jpg
Added benefit, it would allow for much simplification of some of the complex PLR "guard roads" that are often needed where a business complex backs up against a housing complex causing cross-routing, particularly in situations where there are no alleys between the complexes that allow for guard roads, or where only one is available but the guard road itself ends up pulling in routing from the other side.
This might be beneficial for Goverment/Military facilities. There are a few where if you search by the build / agency name WAZE takes you to the nearest road which has no access to inside the instillation.
ArthurUSCG
Area Manager
Area Manager
Send a message

Post by bhartman
I have the opposite problem. When routed to 200 east end ave, new york, ny 10128, the stop point is around the corner on 89th street. How do I change this? Is it an unlock request to move the house number closer to East End Ave?
bhartman
Send a message

Post by bhartman
The stop point SHOULD be on East End, however Waze terminates 200 E End Ave on 89th street itself. That's why I said that I had the opposite problem as y'all in my OP.

I wonder if the pin (if that has anything to do with anything) is so far back from east end that it is closer to 89th st.
bhartman
Send a message

Post by bhartman
HI there,

The problem is that Waze should route to 200 east end ave on east end ave and it's the only building on the block. However, Waze now routes around the corner on east 89th st.

I'm not sure how to do a permalink of where waze routes you. I did paste in a link below:

https://www.waze.com/editor/?env=usa&lo ... 3,62954842

Thanks.
bhartman
Send a message