Get a sneak peek at whats next for Permanent Hazards on our April 7th Office Hours!
The place to discuss editing specifically related to house numbering (addresses): how to optimize locations, set stop-points, etc.

Placing stop point on different street than address street

Post by ilyvion
How can I set it so that the stop point to an address that belongs to one street is actually on a point along a different street? (The street on the other side of the house, effectively.) I seem to only be allowed to pull the stop point along the road I'm editing, not onto a separate road.
stop-point.png
(101.55 KiB) Downloaded 1755 times
The house shown in the picture belongs to the blue road, but its stop point should really be where my mouse pointer is placed.
ilyvion
Map Editor - level 3
Map Editor - level 3

POSTER_ID:16957286

Send a message

Post by CBenson
I still believe that this problem is because the Google pin is closer to 89th. If you edit the waze address number, then waze should trust the number and should use the waze stop point rather that route to the closest point to the Google pin.
CBenson
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps
Send a message
Regional Coordinator: Mid-Atlantic, US
Verizon, Nexus 6, Android 6.0.1, Waze 4.7.0.902

Post by CBenson
You can change that. Google uses its own information differently to determine the stop point. (In fact waze can come up with different stop points for the same Google pin location depending on which API it uses.) In this case waze is not using its own stop point for 200 East End Ave. This is because the data has never been edited in WME so it is not deemed trustworthy. If you edit 200 East End Ave in the house number layer of WME (say move the location slightly and save), then it will be trusted data. Then when you search for 200 East End Ave and select the result from the waze tab, waze will route to the waze stop point (on East End Ave) rather than the closest point on the any road on the waze map to the Google pin location.
CBenson
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps
Send a message

Post by CBenson
Ahh, ok. I jiggled the address number. Lets see if that changes anything.
CBenson
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps
Send a message

Post by CBenson
taco909 wrote:But... I thought I read that Waze was tweaking this so even if the Google pin is closer to a different road, if the pin includes a street, Waze will use that street... if that has happened or will happen, then it is no longer a solution.
"Will" is such a strong word to use for waze destination selections. The problem is that there are many different ways to select the same destination and waze currently treats the destination differently depending on how the destination is selected. So if you choose the address from the autocomplete results waze chooses the closest point to the Google pin (in the absence of a waze house number) on the named street, while if you choose the address from the waze tab waze chooses the closest point on any street.

In my experience, the user's solution of adding a residential place with the address has worked to solve problems like this. I don't know why the added residential place is not overriding the Google results. It may be that abbreviations for Crescent do not automatically override Google's entry for Crescent. It may be that Canada has different search rules. Calgary is too far from me to get good results testing address destination, so I can't verify if I get different results than I do for residential places that are local to me.
CBenson
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps
Send a message

Post by CBenson
taco909 wrote:This seems to be the inverse of how it used to work, or is this referring to the same Google point, just selected from the Waze tab vs the Google tab?
This is referring to the same Google point. The problem I have is that the autofill result is the same as the Google tab result. So users that typically go straight to the search results (say because they use voice input) get a different location from those that pick the first autofill result for the same address.
taco909 wrote:If there is a Waze address pin that has been confirmed, will it be auto-selected over the other sources?
If there is a confirmed waze address pin that should over-ride the third-party (Google) entries. But how close the waze entry and Google entry can be a problem. So for instance if the city names are different, the waze address doesn't seem to be considered the same as the Google entry.
In my experience, the user's solution of adding a residential place with the address has worked to solve problems like this. I don't know why the added residential place is not overriding the Google results.
What happens if we have all three... Residential place, Confirmed address pin, and a Google pin?
My experience is that the Residential place location is used. There have been Residential places reported to waze that are not overriding the Google pin location. I don't think we've figured out when its working and when its not.
I'm trying to learn of a solid solution for the common airport/golf course problem.
Often, airports can be handled by ensuring that no PLRs or "service roads" are mapped closer to the center than the terminal, but golf courses are unique because they most often dogleg (maybe multiple times) through residential areas, so it is impossible to make sure that the PLRs at the clubhouse are closer to the physical center than a neighboring street.
The problem I have with airports/golf courses is that if the names of the waze place and the Google POI don't match exactly, the Google place is still displayed in the autocomplete results typically before the waze result.
CBenson
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps
Send a message

Post by CBenson
My understanding is that problem is essentially solved by the use of residential places. Waze does route to end points on different streets than the address street for residential places . There is a bug where the residential places don't seem to always override the Google location. But if that bug is solved then this seems to be much less of a problem.
CBenson
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps
Send a message

Post by CBenson
taco909 wrote:Or was this a temporary glitch in the implementation?
I think it was a temporary glitch.
taco909 wrote:And for place points added from the app... they generally include the street but perhaps no address, how are those presently handled?
I'm not sure what bugs exist for place points added from the app. They do seem route oddly sometimes.
taco909 wrote:What I have done in some cases is split the park into two or three sections, each with a stop point on their own parking lot or entrance, and add an alt name such as "Greenwood Community Park 1st Street"
This makes sense to me.
CBenson
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps
Send a message

Post by coontex
Bhartman you need 1000 edits to go from level 1 to level 2. This is an automated level change and takes a few days for it to work. If you have more than that and it has been more than a week you may want to contact waze support.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
coontex
Map Raider
Map Raider
Send a message

Post by ilyvion
I could have sworn I had already looked through the Wiki, but upon closer inspection, I see that my question has already been addressed:
The Waze development team is working on a way to specify a stop point on a street other than the named segment to which the address is attached.
Sorry if I wasted anybody's time.
ilyvion
Map Editor - level 3
Map Editor - level 3
Send a message