Difference between point of interest and house number?

The place to discuss editing specifically related to house numbering (addresses): how to optimize locations, set stop-points, etc.

Moderators: Unholy, bextein

Difference between point of interest and house number?

Postby OpenSourceGuy » Sat Jul 18, 2015 4:54 am

What is the difference adding a point of interest with a full address that includes a house number, and just adding a house number?
OpenSourceGuy

Re: Difference between point of interest and house number?

Postby KC-Guardrail » Sun Jul 19, 2015 4:48 am

I think it depends on how the user searches for the specific address. If they search the business name only, and the place is marked on the map, Waze will lead them to the place stop marker. If they search the address only, it will lead them to the address marker. If there is no address point, but there is a place marker, Waze will still lead them to the address, if they search for the address only. I'm sure someone will be along to correct me, if I'm wrong.
[ img ][ img ][ img ] [ img ]
Area Manager - Kansas City Metro
KC-Guardrail
State Manager
State Manager

Re: Difference between point of interest and house number?

Postby JustinS83 » Mon Jul 27, 2015 2:42 pm

Good question!

There are multiple ways that Waze finds a location.

(residential) Place > Waze HN > Google Maps pin

So, if you are referring to a residential location, the Place will take precedence over the Waze HN layer and the Google Maps (GM) pin for the address. The residential Place will also allow the user to save a picture which will be displayed as the destination. Residential Places are fairly new to the map (January 2015 I believe) and will be saved into the Places layer, which as you can imagine could become quite cluttered.

The House Number (HN) layer is the "old" method for navigating to a specific address. This has some shortcomings, however. For the house number to be used it has to have been touched by an editor, otherwise the GM location will be used; not necessarily a shortcoming, but good to know. Also, if the HN has been nudged by an editor, the navigation will end on the same street that the HN is attached to - not possible using HN to route to a different street. For the majority of residential addresses this is perfectly fine, but for some that are set back off of the main road, or commercial locations, this will not get the routing close enough to the destination.

Commercial Places will route to the stop point if it's an area, otherwise it will route to the closed segment to the point Place. The address entered in this Place is purely visual and will have no impact on the routing; it is for the user to confirm they are navigating to the correct location.

Edit:

I should also note that at this time it is not possible to enter letters in the house number for residential Places.
Script Writing Community Coordinator
[ img ][ img ][ img ][ img ][ img ]
JustinS83
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs

Return to House Numbers (Addresses)