House Numbers - A Placebo?  Topic is solved

The place to discuss editing specifically related to house numbering (addresses): how to optimize locations, set stop-points, etc.

Moderators: Unholy, bextein

Re: House Numbers - A Placebo?

Postby sahls72 » Fri Jul 19, 2013 4:11 am

brone44 wrote:I could not recommend that anyone correct or add house numbers in Waze Map Editor instead of Google. It's just a little too much like self-abuse: makes you feel good for a while, but doesn't really help anyone else. :D

I must love self-abuse. As much time as I have spent working on house numbers, I'm surprised a couple of GIS map layers haven't burned into my secondary display.
sahls72
Area Manager
Area Manager

Postby brone44 » Thu Jul 18, 2013 8:00 pm

It now shows the correct address in Google in my browser as well...it would be great to know if Waze is now using internal house numbers, because as it stands, I could not recommend that anyone correct or add house numbers in Waze Map Editor instead of Google. It's just a little too much like self-abuse: makes you feel good for a while, but doesn't really help anyone else. :D
brone44

Postby AlanOfTheBerg » Wed Jul 17, 2013 8:15 pm

brone44 wrote:As of today, it appears that the Google navigation app has picked up the correct location of my house (building) address, as has the Waze app, so making the house number changes in Google Report a Problem only took 2 days to populate to Waze. However, strangely enough, when I search for the building address in Google Maps on my PC, it still shows the old, incorrect address (and yes, I did refresh). Oh well...

"Google address data" doesn't populate in Waze. Once google does the update, it is available for any app which uses their search API. It would happen in Waze the same second it happens in Google.

Now, since it doesn't show correctly in Google on your browser tells me that google didn't actually fix it yet. Though, there is always a difference between searching by address or by name. Two different sets of data.

Waze could have updated their search code to bring back internal house numbers without telling us. That would be surprising, but not very surprising.
AlanOfTheBerg
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs

Re: House Numbers - A Placebo?  Topic is solved

Postby brone44 » Wed Jul 17, 2013 6:04 pm

As of today, it appears that the Google navigation app has picked up the correct location of my house (building) address, as has the Waze app, so making the house number changes in Google Report a Problem only took 2 days to populate to Waze. However, strangely enough, when I search for the building address in Google Maps on my PC, it still shows the old, incorrect address (and yes, I did refresh). Oh well...
brone44

Postby brone44 » Mon Jul 15, 2013 1:29 pm

So...if Waze in the US gets its house numbers now from Google Maps (instead of Bing), and there is no indication when or if Waze will ever actually use the house number corrections that we make in Waze Map Editor, why would we not instead go to Google Maps and use the Report a Problem function to fix the house numbers at the source? Anyway, that's what I did today, and I will report back to the group when (or if) Google Maps picks up my corrections and if they are subsequently implemented in Waze.
More to follow...
brone44

Postby AlanOfTheBerg » Mon Jul 15, 2013 1:30 am

brone44 wrote:I guess in that case I would be happier if there was an announcement of a target date at which time the internal house numbers would be used.

In my years with Waze, I have never known them to announce a "release date" of any kind for anything. I'll say a word at your wake should you decide to hold your breath. :P
AlanOfTheBerg
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs

Postby brone44 » Mon Jul 15, 2013 12:38 am

I guess in that case I would be happier if there was an announcement of a target date at which time the internal house numbers would be used.
brone44

Postby AlanOfTheBerg » Sun Jul 14, 2013 8:37 pm

It's often quite advisable to have the data updated and ready for release prior to making the search function use it. If the data was horribly bad and addresses were a wasteland, then releasing the search functionality would result in thousands of complaint posts and tweets, and users say they are "never going to use Waze again with such horribly incorrect address data."

This is not hyperbole. Similar situations have happened in the past where exactly all that happened.
AlanOfTheBerg
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs

Postby Scruffy151 » Sun Jul 14, 2013 8:23 pm

Yes and No. Eventually the internal numbers will be used, if none are put in correctly when that happens the searches will not improve.
Scruffy151
Area Manager
Area Manager

House Numbers - A Placebo?

Postby brone44 » Sun Jul 14, 2013 12:35 pm

So, if I understand this correctly (and I may not): even though my condo building address shows up in the Waze app on the wrong street and the wrong block, and even though I read the documentation and understood most of it, learned how to make map edits, and fixed the problem and several other house numbers in my neighborhood in Map Editor, it's basically the same functionality as the placebo button at a crosswalk until Waze decides to use internal numbers? So why are even allowed to change house numbers in Map Editor?
brone44

Previous

Return to House Numbers (Addresses)