The place to discuss editing specifically related to house numbering (addresses): how to optimize locations, set stop-points, etc.
Post by brone44
It now shows the correct address in Google in my browser as well...it would be great to know if Waze is now using internal house numbers, because as it stands, I could not recommend that anyone correct or add house numbers in Waze Map Editor instead of Google. It's just a little too much like self-abuse: makes you feel good for a while, but doesn't really help anyone else. :D
brone44
Send a message

Post by CBenson
Currently, if you try to use Google Map Maker you get a message that it is down for maintenance as Google is combining its backend systems to strengthen the connection between Map Maker and other Maps products. So this seems to be a particularly bad time to be composing instructions on how to edit Google Maps. Maybe nothing will really change, but maybe things will be different in a few days.
CBenson
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps
Send a message
Regional Coordinator: Mid-Atlantic, US
Verizon, Nexus 6, Android 6.0.1, Waze 4.7.0.902

Post by CBenson
Maybe not getting that information is what they mean by waze and Google will remain separate operating entities for the time being.
CBenson
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps
Send a message

Post by CBenson
kentsmith9 wrote:So why not tell the routing to search outward radially from the GPS point until they cross the actual street name in question. That will have a 99% higher chance of getting to the actual destination than the current routing that stops at any street name that could easily be separated by 5 miles of fence either direction.
I doubt this is true. Sure stopping at the nearest point on the named road in the address will have a much higher chance of not being separated by 5 miles of fence in either direction. But its not going to have a 99% higher chance of getting to the closest point on the road network. There are just too many destinations where the ultimate stop point should be on a parking lot road, or the driveway is around the corner on a different road than the address, or the address is a vanity address (my vanity examples are usually the office building in DC that have Pennsylvania Ave addresses even though their connection to Pennsylvania Ave can be somewhat tenuous).
CBenson
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps
Send a message

Post by kentsmith9
I do think we should consider putting in something in the Wiki for where Waze is using Google map data for the addresses when we know about it.

I have not personally looked at how to edit Google Maps for this issue, but I think if we provided some guidance (when we know that is the source) we could save ourselves some repeated URs.
kentsmith9
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs
Send a message

Post by kentsmith9
I only today started looking at the Google Map Editor to try to address some of these issues for the US. I did find something that makes me think Waze actually has a bug that Google already solved in its routing that Waze should already be able to correct.

The case is when a house on one street is geographically closer to another street than the one to which its address is tied. This example is for a house on Rimini Lane. It is part of a long driveway that pushes the actual house deeper into the property making it physically closer to Gleason Drive.
RiminiLn1.jpg
(127.22 KiB) Downloaded 1885 times
Notice that when Google Maps is told to route to this address on Rimini Lane it knows to head onto Rimini Lane and then determine where on Rimini Lane to enter.

RiminiLn2.jpg
(30.2 KiB) Downloaded 1887 times
In the case of Waze Maps, if Waze is getting the GPS info for this address from Google Maps, why does Waze try to reach it from the street that clearly does not match the address given? Have we already been told by Waze staff that there is a problem in routing preventing this from working properly? Once they switch to internal house addresses I assume this is fixed because it routes to the stop point.

I would think either Google Maps has a different solution or also has the same stop point information like we are setting up in Waze. So why can't Waze get the stop point as well as the GPS point so this problem is solved at the system level; not by wasting the thousands of hours of editors' time.
kentsmith9
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs
Send a message

Post by kentsmith9
I agree on the stop point transfer issue as a likely possibility.

What I don't get is why their routing algorithm does not take into account combining the actual street name into the computation. What I mean is they are routing to a GPS point. They know the street Gleason is the closest to that particular house GPS coordinate, so we know they can calculate where on a street it is closest. So why not tell the routing to search outward radially from the GPS point until they cross the actual street name in question. That will have a 99% higher chance of getting to the actual destination than the current routing that stops at any street name that could easily be separated by 5 miles of fence either direction. Then even if the driveway is around a corner and that particular point on the street the driver can more easily continue driving until they see the entrance. At least they are on the right street.

Of course all this is in place of getting internally addressing working, but with past history there are always many more higher priority items to get going. :cry:
kentsmith9
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs
Send a message

Post by sahls72
brone44 wrote:I could not recommend that anyone correct or add house numbers in Waze Map Editor instead of Google. It's just a little too much like self-abuse: makes you feel good for a while, but doesn't really help anyone else. :D
I must love self-abuse. As much time as I have spent working on house numbers, I'm surprised a couple of GIS map layers haven't burned into my secondary display.
sahls72
Area Manager
Area Manager
Send a message
[img]https:///WS6zp[/img] [img]https:///kw8w7[/img]

Post by Scruffy151
Yes and No. Eventually the internal numbers will be used, if none are put in correctly when that happens the searches will not improve.
Scruffy151
Area Manager
Area Manager
Send a message

Post by sketch
I've seen URs that seem to show that Waze is using its own addresses in some cases, yet not in others. Every time I get a wrong address UR, I check both, and I fix it in both, if necessary. Better safe than sorry.

Google has rejected some of my map updates in the past. The sooner we can get off it, the better, although there remain some problems with Waze's house number system.
sketch
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs
Send a message
ALL US EDITORS READ: New USA road type guidance
the guidance linked above is now almost a decade old, but the link gives me a laugh every time i see it, so it stays (:
assistant regional coordinator • south central region • usa
waze global champ • beta leader • and more • new orleans

bye bye fuelly badge! i'm an EV guy now!