Possible Bug with Address Search?

The place to discuss editing specifically related to house numbering (addresses): how to optimize locations, set stop-points, etc.

Moderators: krankyd, Unholy

Re: Possible Bug with Address Search?

Postby AlanOfTheBerg » Fri Aug 02, 2013 7:29 pm

This forum is about House Numbers in the editor and not about search in the app or editor. I can see why it would be confusing. I also recently posted an address search issue from the app from a UR over in the Search forum. I get odd results depending on whether city/state is included, and different results depending on which city is used.
Wiki Resources: Map Editing Manual | Oregon Project/To-Do List
Oregon-based US Country Manager | iPhone5 - VZ - iOS 7.0.6 | Waze v3.7.9.992
AlanOfTheBerg
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs

Possible Bug with Address Search?

Postby PhantomSoul » Fri Aug 02, 2013 7:26 pm

So while researching a UR in my area complaining about being routed to the wrong place for an address, I came across an interesting observation, at least in the WME search tool.

The address in question is 319 US-22, Green Brook, NJ 08812.

If I search for it in the WME search tool in the format above, or in Google's format (319 U.S. 22, Green Brook, NJ 08812) the pin comes up in the correct spot, on the westbound side of US-22 (odd numbers in Green Brook appear to be on the westbound side.

In the UR, the person said they searched for 319 Route 22 East, Green Brook, NJ, which when input into the WME search tool, actually gives me 109 US-22, Green Brook, NJ, over a mile away and on the other side of the divided road! After poking around defined house numbers along 22 in the WME for a bit, I realized that 109 was the highest house number defined on the eastbound side of 22 (which is questionable since 319 is on the westbound side). Out of curiosity, I tried to arbitrarily search for a 151 US-22 E, Green Brook, NJ 08812 and got the same spot.

Is it possible that when an house number along a street isn't found for a searched address, the system will match the closest number it can find? Is this correct behavior? It may be the cause of a lot of the "incorrect address" URs I see all the time when all the house numbers along a given road are not defined completely.

The general area in question is here: https://www.waze.com/editor/?lon=-74.48 ... TTTTTTTFTT I left the UR in place for reference. Thanks for your help.
Wazing the Garden State... one jughandle at a time.
AM: New Jersey, LEVEL 5
AT&T iPhone 5 / iOS 7.1 / Waze 3.7.8
PhantomSoul
Waze Mentor
Waze Mentor

Return to House Numbers (Addresses)