How do you input addresses for roads with none currently?

The place to discuss editing specifically related to house numbering (addresses): how to optimize locations, set stop-points, etc.

Moderator: Unholy

Re: How do you input addresses for roads with none currently

Postby Riamus » Thu Aug 15, 2013 11:59 pm

I can understand the frustration. And I didn't really take it as being pissy. There isn't really any need to apologize. It's entirely understandable. Unfortunately, I can't really offer any other advice. Personally, I'd see about working on the roads first so you can get enough points to be able to force addresses. Then you can do all of the addresses at once without needing to worry about what you can or can't do with them. One thing to keep in mind and maybe you meant this, but the mailing address is not always the right address to use. There is sometimes a mailing address that isn't really the street address. The street address is the one we'd want to add in there. That may be what you meant, but I wanted to point it out just in case.

If you want to post a permalink to an area that you're editing, I can point out some issues there if there are any to help you get an idea of what needs work. I was scrolling around the county and I didn't really see anywhere that didn't need work. If you start to see the types of problems in the map, it may reduce the frustration as you'll have a lot of things you can work on besides just the addresses. And even if addresses go live before all of them are updated, it will just fall back on Google or Bing addresses until they do get updated, so it won't harm anything. Those may not always be as accurate, but it wouldn't be any different than it is now, so there isn't any actual harm in having to use them for a little longer if necessary.

I know that isn't really what you want to hear, but I hope it's at least a help.
ImageImage
Area Manager: Michigan - Northern LP.
Waze running on Samsung Galaxy S3.
Riamus

Postby n8nagel » Fri Aug 16, 2013 4:09 pm

Getting OT here, but your post was probably unintentionally useful to me... I wasn't really cognizant of "soft turns" before and your comment prompted me to look into it... now I've had to go back and re-edit areas that I thought were all under control save for the house numbers. Every cul-de-sac seems to not have had someone click on the u-turn, and there are a LOT of cul-de-sacs and dead ends... well, I still don't know how to get to 10K edits, but when I'm reviewing an area now I will probably be making a lot more edits than I was previously.
n8nagel

Postby Riamus » Fri Aug 16, 2013 5:57 pm

Don't mark U-turns on dead end roads. They should be left as red. U-turns aren't really working to begin with and even if they were working, they should only be marked at actual U-turns. A dead end is automatically known to allow turning around and there are issues if you have them marked as U-turns.
ImageImage
Riamus

Postby n8nagel » Fri Aug 16, 2013 8:19 pm

Damn, wish I'd have known that before I started on them... got something to do I guess. None of the cul-de-sacs anywhere in the area had had the turns set so I didn't really have an example to follow. I'm feeling like there's a lot of documentation out there that I'm not seeing, but I did actually read the editing wiki, honest.
n8nagel

Postby AlanOfTheBerg » Sat Aug 17, 2013 4:22 am

n8nagel wrote:I'm feeling like there's a lot of documentation out there that I'm not seeing, but I did actually read the editing wiki, honest.

Yep, there sure is. There's usually discussion in the forums before it makes it into the wiki. There is some info in the forums about it... somewhere, and @WazeMapping has tweeted it. But this is straying off House Numbers...
Wiki Resources: Map Editing Manual | alanoftheberg@gmail.com
Oregon-based US Country Manager | iPhone6 - VZ - iOS 9.2.1 | Waze v4.2b
AlanOfTheBerg
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs

Postby n8nagel » Sun Aug 18, 2013 11:31 pm

yeah... getting back on topic

I am noticing something... still haven't ventured outside a mile or two of my neighborhood yet... too much to clean up now that I'm into it. but what I'm noticing is interesting... many of the cul de sacs already have street addresses but at least one will be missing at the end of each... and it's a royal PITA to get the driveway points all lined up so that WME will accept them without the ability to force.

I'm wondering if the addresses that exist were automatically generated at some point in time off GIS maps? It seems that where I'm finding that the addresses don't exist is if the GIS maps aren't zoomed in far enough they don't show because there's other text right on top of them.
n8nagel

Postby Riamus » Mon Aug 19, 2013 10:18 am

Addresses were imported around the time that they were added to Waze. There won't be any future imports, so any missing addresses have to be added manually. This is especially true when adding new roads. I've also noticed missing addresses at the end of some cul de sacs. But then again, I've seen missing addresses in the middle of the street too. So I don't know if it's really an issue with the cul de sacs or just data that wasn't available during the import. Note that any import would be done through a database, so zoom level wouldn't have any effect. Also, the position of text in Waze won't necessarily line up with the position of text in any other GIS software. It's possible that some of the cul de sacs didn't have all of the houses built at the time the addresses were added to the GIS that we imported from.
ImageImage
Riamus

Previous

Return to House Numbers (Addresses)