How do you input addresses for roads with none currently?

The place to discuss editing specifically related to house numbering (addresses): how to optimize locations, set stop-points, etc.

Moderators: Unholy, bextein

Re: How do you input addresses for roads with none currently

Postby Riamus » Thu Aug 15, 2013 4:52 pm

You can't force addresses until level 3. You can get to level 3 either by getting enough edits (10,000) or by completing an Area Manager application and being accepted. Otherwise, you'll have to either leave that for others to do or wait until you're level 3 to do them yourself.
Riamus

Postby n8nagel » Thu Aug 15, 2013 4:15 pm

yes, I found that before I saw your post, but we were thinking of the same thing. I did not think to post in the state forum, so that's an excellent suggestion and I have done so.

Unfortunately, I still can't clean up my 'hood as I don't have the ability to force addresses and a significant number of them need to be forced (it appears that there are two different numbering schemes that collided with each other, possibly a county vs. town issue?) so I've PM'd the area manager asking for that ability. But once I get that and I feel like killing an hour or two I bet I could really make a big improvement in this area. Thanks again for the idea, I feel kind of dumb not looking for that first but it just didn't occur to me.
n8nagel

Postby Riamus » Thu Aug 15, 2013 3:15 pm

I think this is what you're referring to. You can mention it there, but I'd also suggest posting that to your state's personal forum and/or Wiki page so that others in your state know about it.
Last edited by Riamus on Thu Aug 15, 2013 4:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Riamus

Postby n8nagel » Thu Aug 15, 2013 2:46 pm

I think you got me pointed in the right direction, I found this

http://logis.loudoun.gov/weblogis/

which appears to be what we're talking about.

I assume that "on the ground" verification would have to be carried out afterward, but this looks like an excellent starting point.

I seem to recall coming across a thread asking for these resources to be sent somewhere, I'll see if I can dig that out and pass on this info, as at least in my little corner of the world the addresses are only partially input. thanks again!
n8nagel

Postby Riamus » Thu Aug 15, 2013 2:32 pm

Yeah, check for any parcel maps for the area. Sometimes they are included in the location's GIS maps, but may just be available in paper form or image form. Other than that, for areas where the addresses are visible from the street, hook up your phone, camera, or camcorder in your car and record a video while you drive slowly down the road. You can then get the numbers from there without having to write them down on a printed map. It's at least a little easier. Unfortunately, there's no super easy way to do this.

Just be careful with houses on corners. Note if their address number is out of sync with the road their driveway is on. There are times when the driveway isn't on the road that matches their address if they are on the corner. The address would need to be on the right road rather than where the driveway is actually located. At least until we get the ability to place the stop point on an alternate street.
Riamus

Postby russblau » Thu Aug 15, 2013 2:23 pm

Some jurisdictions have property maps online (often under the Tax Assessor's office or something similar, rather than the roads/transportation office), which have the address associated with each parcel. Since each one seems to have their own web interface, the ease of use varies considerably, and some places don't have them online at all. But where they exist, it is a great help in figuring out which house number goes where.
russblau
State Manager
State Manager

How do you input addresses for roads with none currently?

Postby n8nagel » Thu Aug 15, 2013 1:27 pm

Hi all,

I apologize for the very generic subject but I can't think of a pithy way to describe my query... anyway, I have the *mechanics* of inputting the addresses into the map editor down, what I'm looking for is tips on how to do it *easily.*

I've been concentrating mostly on my little neighborhood, making sure the segments are being named properly, making sure everyone's addresses are correct, etc. A couple weeks ago I decided to put addresses on a street about 7 blocks long that didn't have any for some reason. When doing so, I discovered that it is not as easy as it seems - not the physical inputting of the data, but the gleaning of the house numbers off the physical buildings and making sure that they're in the right place. I ended up printing out some aerial photographs, walking the street, making handwritten notes, then coming home and inputting the data. That worked well, although it took several hours.

The next nearest little "neighborhood" is actually a business park, and those buildings also have no addresses associated with them. It's too far to walk, and also printing out aerial photos is unwieldy; how are you all handling this? Is there a way to use the map editor offline so I can just use my laptop from the car without having to have an Internet connection?

Just looking for ideas here... I'd love to help out more but this seems to be fairly difficult to do well and thoroughly...
n8nagel

Previous

Return to House Numbers (Addresses)