Get a sneak peek at whats next for Permanent Hazards on our April 7th Office Hours!
The place to discuss editing specifically related to house numbering (addresses): how to optimize locations, set stop-points, etc.
Post by Riamus
I think this is what you're referring to. You can mention it there, but I'd also suggest posting that to your state's personal forum and/or Wiki page so that others in your state know about it.
Riamus
Send a message
Last edited by Riamus on Thu Aug 15, 2013 4:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
https://www.waze.com/wiki/images/5/5a/W ... M_only.png
Previously Area Manager: Michigan - Northern LP.
Waze running on Samsung Galaxy S21+.

Post by Riamus
You can't force addresses until level 3. You can get to level 3 either by getting enough edits (10,000) or by completing an Area Manager application and being accepted. Otherwise, you'll have to either leave that for others to do or wait until you're level 3 to do them yourself.
Riamus
Send a message

Post by Riamus
I'm not sure the reason for forcing addresses other than perhaps that most addresses should not need it and letting someone new do it invites a random person to come in here and rearrange all of the addresses if they wanted to. With the addresses being "hidden" from normal view when editing, it's not easy to see when something is messed up. Of course, someone could just go through deleting addresses to basically the same effect, so I'm not really sure why there is the restriction. But with basically everything, your rank determines what abilities you have, so there aren't exceptions. Having exceptions means programming the system to allow roles to be set for individuals instead of ranks and that's more work to maintain. Maybe they'll consider dropping address forcing to a lower rank at some point, but I don't see them allowing for exceptions.

The best option is to just work on other edits in the meantime to get your rank up and to show that you can edit correctly and then apply for Area Manager if you want to more quickly reach rank 3. That still means getting around 5000 edits to show that you know what you're doing, though.

I can't imagine that every street has that problem with 2 sets of numbers making most addresses forced, so you should be able to find streets that aren't like that as well as doing other edits. It takes time to generate the edits, but every edit makes Waze better.

A quick scan of Loudoun county shows a lot of work needed done on the roads themselves. I see multiple streets with Unknown direction, multiple soft turns that need fixed, "roads" that aren't really there and need deleted, roads that don't match the aerials, extra junction nodes on road segments that aren't needed, etc. Just the quick scan shows probably 500-1000 points or more in just a small area that you could earn. Work on a larger area in the county and you could easily gain a fair amount of points without too much effort. It won't take long to get to level 3 that way.
Riamus
Send a message

Post by Riamus
I can understand the frustration. And I didn't really take it as being pissy. There isn't really any need to apologize. It's entirely understandable. Unfortunately, I can't really offer any other advice. Personally, I'd see about working on the roads first so you can get enough points to be able to force addresses. Then you can do all of the addresses at once without needing to worry about what you can or can't do with them. One thing to keep in mind and maybe you meant this, but the mailing address is not always the right address to use. There is sometimes a mailing address that isn't really the street address. The street address is the one we'd want to add in there. That may be what you meant, but I wanted to point it out just in case.

If you want to post a permalink to an area that you're editing, I can point out some issues there if there are any to help you get an idea of what needs work. I was scrolling around the county and I didn't really see anywhere that didn't need work. If you start to see the types of problems in the map, it may reduce the frustration as you'll have a lot of things you can work on besides just the addresses. And even if addresses go live before all of them are updated, it will just fall back on Google or Bing addresses until they do get updated, so it won't harm anything. Those may not always be as accurate, but it wouldn't be any different than it is now, so there isn't any actual harm in having to use them for a little longer if necessary.

I know that isn't really what you want to hear, but I hope it's at least a help.
Riamus
Send a message

Post by Riamus
Don't mark U-turns on dead end roads. They should be left as red. U-turns aren't really working to begin with and even if they were working, they should only be marked at actual U-turns. A dead end is automatically known to allow turning around and there are issues if you have them marked as U-turns.
Riamus
Send a message

Post by Riamus
Addresses were imported around the time that they were added to Waze. There won't be any future imports, so any missing addresses have to be added manually. This is especially true when adding new roads. I've also noticed missing addresses at the end of some cul de sacs. But then again, I've seen missing addresses in the middle of the street too. So I don't know if it's really an issue with the cul de sacs or just data that wasn't available during the import. Note that any import would be done through a database, so zoom level wouldn't have any effect. Also, the position of text in Waze won't necessarily line up with the position of text in any other GIS software. It's possible that some of the cul de sacs didn't have all of the houses built at the time the addresses were added to the GIS that we imported from.
Riamus
Send a message

Post by russblau
Some jurisdictions have property maps online (often under the Tax Assessor's office or something similar, rather than the roads/transportation office), which have the address associated with each parcel. Since each one seems to have their own web interface, the ease of use varies considerably, and some places don't have them online at all. But where they exist, it is a great help in figuring out which house number goes where.
russblau
State Manager
State Manager
Answers: 1
Send a message