The place to discuss editing specifically related to house numbering (addresses): how to optimize locations, set stop-points, etc.

House numbers containing letters

Post by
When will waze update their program so that a house number like "31W605" can be added? This is a bigger deal for me because I live by a lot of addresses which are like that.

POSTER_ID:16841807

Send a message

Post by AlanOfTheBerg
truebearsfan wrote:When will waze update their program so that a house number like "31W605" can be added? This is a bigger deal for me because I live by a lot of addresses which are like that.
You can add letter(s) to the end, but not in the middle. Not sure if that's come up before...
AlanOfTheBerg
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps
Send a message
Wiki Resources: Map Editing Manual | alanoftheberg@gmail.com
Oregon-based US Ex-Global Champ Editor | iPhone13Pro - VZ

Post by AlanOfTheBerg
blhotka wrote:In areas of Wisconsin it is common to have letters (two of N, S, E, or W) in all house numbers. For example "W279S3173" is a house number... there is NO other house number identification other than these somewhat cryptic and apparently non-conforming numbers.

It sounds like Waze does not support this?

I'd like to echo the question above - when can this be rectified?
I've submitted a bugzilla report: https://bugs.waze.com/show_bug.cgi?id=6229
AlanOfTheBerg
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps
Send a message

Post by AlanOfTheBerg
GadgetMTS wrote:Do Google house numbers play into our success here?
Lonewolf147 wrote:One other thing I've found, speaking of Google HN's, Waze will successfully search for and find any HN that is already in Google Maps. This includes regular numerical and alphanumerical.

So I'm thinking that if need be, drop (or edit) an address pin in GMM and not Waze when it comes to the alphanumerical addresses.
Relying on Google address markers is part of the ecosystem, yes. But then, you already know that because you read the wiki page first, right? :mrgreen:
AlanOfTheBerg
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps
Send a message

Post by AlanOfTheBerg
poweruser10 wrote:Has something been done to support, or is this still under consideration? When I tried to put any letters into a house address, WME will not allow.

Additionally the format can change when the named road changes from E/W to N/S orientation. WME does not like that either.
No, at this time, this kind of imaginary coordinate-based system is not something Waze can support. And, based on how rare it is, I am not sure it will ever be supported. At least internally.

If the addresses exist correct in a system like Google, then it can work because Waze looks up addresses in google too.
AlanOfTheBerg
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps
Send a message

Post by Bigbear3764
Thought this was fixed. I tried after they said it was done and it worked. I haven't tried in awhile. I wonder if it is like forcing addresses.

I won't be home this week to give it a try.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Bigbear3764
Country Manager
Country Manager
Send a message

Post by Contrerasf5
It seems the latest WME allows any kind of string for house numbers
Contrerasf5
Area Manager
Area Manager
Send a message

Post by falsecut
The Chicago area has a number of areas which are unincorporated and the numbers are, for example, 15W567 or 4N450 or even 0S460, with the "0" being a zero. These numbers are based on State and Madison in Chicago and the house at 15W567 is 15.567 miles west of State St while the 4N450 one is 4.450 miles north of Madison. S and N are on north/south streets only, W is on east/west streets only. Literally thousands of houses in the Chicago area are unlocatable as of right now.
falsecut
Send a message

Post by frankhewes
I can enter hyphenated numbers in the house number editor, but not in the place editor. Is anyone aware of a solution for this?
frankhewes
Area Manager
Area Manager
Send a message

Post by GadgetJ
Thank you for publishing this list of 'can-do' and 'cannot-do' Gizmo.

Until we get the feature working as needed, what is the guidance to handle house numbers that do not fit the format. I have URs in Wis with N12345 format that will not go. Do Google house numbers play into our success here?

Any guidance to solve the URs is much appreciated. Here is an example area.
GadgetJ
Send a message
Jeremy - GadgetJ - Work hard, WAZE harder

Post by GadgetJ
I am striking out with GMM + Waze on these address formats. Any support or successes would be appreciated!
N6841 550th St, Wisconsin 54751 does not work in Waze but does work in GMaps

E5466 County Road BB, Menomine, WI does not work in Wazebut does work in GMaps.
GadgetJ
Send a message
Jeremy - GadgetJ - Work hard, WAZE harder