Get a sneak peek at whats next for Permanent Hazards on our April 7th Office Hours!
The place to discuss editing specifically related to house numbering (addresses): how to optimize locations, set stop-points, etc.

House number scoring and edit count

Post by GuibaBR
How is each house number added counted for my dashboard's number of edits?

Also, is the house number scoring 1 per number added as in https://www.waze.com/wiki/Your_Rank_and_Points ?

Just saying, I find it one of the most difficult tasks, since you cannot easily discover the correct house number just from looking the satellite image. Ok, it is the same for the street name, but once you discover the name, it is correct for many segments (and you are credited 3 points and 1 edit per segment, I believe). For the house numbers, you must look and update one by one...
GuibaBR

POSTER_ID:2765740

Send a message
Last edited by GuibaBR on Fri Jan 24, 2014 9:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Guilherme (GuibaBR)
LC/CM - Brasil | SM - São Paulo

Post by AlanOfTheBerg
Ask 'how are points calculated' in the Ask a Question box on the Support page. The wiki is out of date.

Essentially, based on what that answer shows, is that house numbers considered an edit of the parent segment, so multiple house numbers on the same segment gets you no additional points. This is "even worse" from your POV. I also agree that HNs should be credited per HN and not per segment.
AlanOfTheBerg
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps
Send a message
Wiki Resources: Map Editing Manual | alanoftheberg@gmail.com
Oregon-based US Ex-Global Champ Editor | iPhone13Pro - VZ

Post by AlanOfTheBerg
GuibaBR wrote:Neither one explains how many edits a house number is worth, but I suppose, from the above answer, that adding 10 house numbers in the same segment = 1 edit in the dashboard. Is that correct? If so, isn't it unfair?
I'm curious why edit count is important, but anyway... Based on what I read, not what I know from asking the question of Waze directly, editing a segment, adding a segment, etc., is a single edit which is worth 1.5 points. Editing/adding a house number is a single edit and worth 1 point.

Just like with segments, you do not get more points or edits for adjusting the geometry, giving a city name, segment name, and alternate name, and 2-way direction. It's all a single edit and 1.5 points. For house numbers, you can add 15 to one segment and it will be 15 house numbers, but 1 point.
AlanOfTheBerg
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps
Send a message

Post by AlanOfTheBerg
GuibaBR wrote:Apparently, there was a recent change which makes an edit worth 3 points: Change in editing points.
Nice catch! Too many things to remember... :roll:
GuibaBR wrote:Edit count is also important because it is what makes you get promoted, enlarging your edit area, allowing lock/editing locked segments... Also, this number appears in a lot of forum members' signature.
Ok, I understand your point. It's a valid question. I really don't know the answer. You could do a test by not doing any editing until the next points update and your edit count stays the same. Then do several edits to house numbers on a single segment. Wait to see what happens with your edits and points. :)

I could also ask Waze to get their official answer, which sometimes will be the same as our experience, but sometimes it's a bit different.
AlanOfTheBerg
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps
Send a message

Post by AlanOfTheBerg
Dr_Deko wrote:Waze Global Champs must bring that to waze to help motivate new editors to work on house numbers...

Of course that a level 6 editing wouldn't care to make 1000 edits and count as one... but, for a lvl 3 who has 30k edits and wants to reach 100k, it counts alot...
just as GuigaBR said...
Sorry, but even as a first-month/first-year users I cared little about the points, but wanted to see the map fixed. IMO, everyone should have that in mind, not getting to 100k or whatever the next level is. Sure, it's a kind of goal, but it should be about the last goal in mind.

However, I also agree that HN edit points need some revamping. Likely not a full edit per, maybe something less. There is also the problem that making HNs count individually has for points farming: I could delete hundreds of HNs in a few minutes, then add all new ones back in. If they are "individual points" objects, then each delete and add would be additional points. I could farm thousands of points in a day, and likely even script it to get millions. This is something else Waze would have to code their cheat scripts to catch.

So, for now, it will have to stay the way is, and the reward will be happy drivers.
AlanOfTheBerg
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps
Send a message

Post by AlanOfTheBerg
bigbear3764 wrote:There was a recent forum post on addresses. If the address in waze was from the mass download, waze won't use it. But, if it has been touched by an editor, then waze will use it.
That's correct. Add to that, that I can add a new street and house numbers which won't show up in google for 1-4 months. And Waze finds and routes to them the next day.
AlanOfTheBerg
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps
Send a message

Post by Bigbear3764
There was a recent forum post on addresses. If the address in waze was from the mass download, waze won't use it. But, if it has been touched by an editor, then waze will use it. We have been editing our Chicago addresses block by block as users report routing problems to an alley behind the residence. It has worked. Even have had a new street that google didn't have. Adddd street and house numbers and the user is happy. I've been adding house numbers in Beloit, Wisconsin because waze nor google had them.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Bigbear3764
Country Manager
Country Manager
Send a message

Post by Bigbear3764
jdeyoung wrote: Points (aside from strictly point-farming) is a way to measure contribution - and enlisting new editors to do the work is far better than having them overmap parking lots again and again.
Now, when I add house numbers that aren't there, I see my edit count go up. It is hard to see with the gray box for the address editor covering it, what caught my eye was when it turned red at 10 edits. I haven't paid attention when I'm just bumping existing numbers.

Wish there was a way to highlight addresses that have been added or moved that Waze will use.
Bigbear3764
Country Manager
Country Manager
Send a message

Post by Dr_Deko
GuibaBR wrote:
pumrum wrote: So if you go to a long street and add, remove, or fix the position of 1000 house numbers... you get one (1) map edit.
Thanks, pumrum! Like I said and explained before, this is (very) unfair. I hope Waze staff changes that in the future...
That's actually why nobody cares to make a house numbering script for WME!
And, correcting soft turns, dead ends and reverse connections, that get u easy edit points, aren't as important to the USER of the app, as to put and address and actually get there! on point!

Waze Global Champs must bring that to waze to help motivate new editors to work on house numbers...

Of course that a level 6 editing wouldn't care to make 1000 edits and count as one... but, for a lvl 3 who has 30k edits and wants to reach 100k, it counts alot...
just as GuigaBR said...

Thanks
Dr_Deko
Send a message
https://bit.ly/WazeMonster
André Piacentini
AM: Noroeste do Estado de SP & Triângulo Mineiro - MG
LINKS ÚTEIS:Pontuação Guia de Edição Ranking
Keep Driving... And Keep Editing! ;)
Gostou da informação? dê um https://www.desismileys.com/smileys/desismileys_6666.gif ali em cima!!!

Post by GuibaBR
Thanks, Alan!

In fact, I searched both resources before asking, so when I noticed they were different (and support resource having an even worse scoring), I decided to ask.

Neither one explains how many edits a house number is worth, but I suppose, from the above answer, that adding 10 house numbers in the same segment = 1 edit in the dashboard. Is that correct? If so, isn't it unfair?
GuibaBR
Send a message
Guilherme (GuibaBR)
LC/CM - Brasil | SM - São Paulo