Get a sneak peek at whats next for Permanent Hazards on our April 7th Office Hours!
The place to discuss editing specifically related to house numbering (addresses): how to optimize locations, set stop-points, etc.

Tile Update Schedule for New/Modified Addresses?

Post by
What is the update schedule for new / modified address locations? I had made this change at 4311 Green Glade Road near Phoenix, Maryland almost 3 weeks ago.
Problem: This is 4311 Green Glade Road
Reported on: May 09
I had previoulsy read that some road re-alignment has to occur before the particular tile is updated, so I tweaked it as much as I could.
Same error here.
Problem: this is 10036 Hillgreen Circle not the road below
Reported on: May 21
(original report from the beginning of the month - this was an update UR).
Also noted this thread from earlier this year indicating that it's at the same time as the general tile updates.

In addition I did submit an update request @ Google, realizing that may take months.

POSTER_ID:8514403

Send a message

Post by AlanOfTheBerg
Even after tapping the auto-fill result, Waze is still supposed to look at the internal house number data, and if it finds a match, is supposed to use the Waze result. All Waze results for House Numbers will show the pin on the road, whereas most Google results will show slightly off the road.
AlanOfTheBerg
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps
Send a message
Wiki Resources: Map Editing Manual | alanoftheberg@gmail.com
Oregon-based US Ex-Global Champ Editor | iPhone13Pro - VZ

Post by AlanOfTheBerg
CBenson wrote:But as it stands waze never finds a "match" if the Waze result doesn't have a city name. Thus, as the Google results are used for the autofill, you will never be taken to to waze address pin result for a road segment without a city name by tapping on the autofill results. Even worse, if you do ask for search results, a Google result with an assumed city is listed above the waze result without the city name.
It isn't a good situation. This request should be able to help with that if they choose to implement: https://bugs.waze.com/show_bug.cgi?id=7112
AlanOfTheBerg
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps
Send a message
Wiki Resources: Map Editing Manual | alanoftheberg@gmail.com
Oregon-based US Ex-Global Champ Editor | iPhone13Pro - VZ

Post by Bigbear3764
Have you deleted previous searches and/or saved favorites for this location? Old searches will continue to give the old bad location.

Can also try going to settings>advanced>data transfer>update maps.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Bigbear3764
Country Manager
Country Manager
Send a message

Post by Bigbear3764
CBenson wrote:Waze does confirm that if there is no city name, the search returns use Goggle's result, and not Waze's, as waze can't be sure the waze result is good enough in this case.

Maybe we do need to reconsider using Zip Code cities in rural areas.
What if the city name is in the alternate field?
Bigbear3764
Country Manager
Country Manager
Send a message

Post by CBenson
These are both working for me in the client and the live map. Did they update recently or are we seeing different results?
CBenson
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps
Send a message
Regional Coordinator: Mid-Atlantic, US
Verizon, Nexus 6, Android 6.0.1, Waze 4.7.0.902

Post by CBenson
Right. That second waze result shows that the edit has been processed. I can get the live map to give the same results. Type in "4311 Green Glade Rd, MD" and then hit more results at the bottom of the list. I then get the same thing as forcing the app to provide the search results.

For the second example, the result comes up in the autofill results for me. My guess on the difference is that the first doesn't have a city name. My guess is that without a city name, waze is not displacing the Google result with the house number layer result.
CBenson
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps
Send a message

Post by CBenson
Agreed, but at this point I think the answer is to find out how waze is planning to handle the autofill result long term. I'll see what I can do.
CBenson
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps
Send a message

Post by CBenson
AlanOfTheBerg wrote:Even after tapping the auto-fill result, Waze is still supposed to look at the internal house number data, and if it finds a match, is supposed to use the Waze result.
Right, that is what seems to be happening for the second example, 10036 Hilgreen Circle. But as it stands waze never finds a "match" if the Waze result doesn't have a city name. Thus, as the Google results are used for the autofill, you will never be taken to to waze address pin result for a road segment without a city name by tapping on the autofill results. Even worse, if you do ask for search results, a Google result with an assumed city is listed above the waze result without the city name.
CBenson
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps
Send a message

Post by CBenson
Waze does confirm that if there is no city name, the search returns use Goggle's result, and not Waze's, as waze can't be sure the waze result is good enough in this case.

Maybe we do need to reconsider using Zip Code cities in rural areas.
CBenson
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps
Send a message

Post by CBenson
Well that's been the question for quite awhile. Should enter the ZIP city as an alternate name. I guess this would be a good one to test.

Should we add Green Glade Rd, Swanton, MD as an alternate name and see what happens?
CBenson
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps
Send a message