Get a sneak peek at whats next for Permanent Hazards on our April 7th Office Hours!
The place to discuss editing specifically related to house numbering (addresses): how to optimize locations, set stop-points, etc.

Tile Update Schedule for New/Modified Addresses?

Post by kodi75
What is the update schedule for new / modified address locations? I had made this change at 4311 Green Glade Road near Phoenix, Maryland almost 3 weeks ago.
Problem: This is 4311 Green Glade Road
Reported on: May 09
I had previoulsy read that some road re-alignment has to occur before the particular tile is updated, so I tweaked it as much as I could.
Same error here.
Problem: this is 10036 Hillgreen Circle not the road below
Reported on: May 21
(original report from the beginning of the month - this was an update UR).
Also noted this thread from earlier this year indicating that it's at the same time as the general tile updates.

In addition I did submit an update request @ Google, realizing that may take months.
kodi75
Country Manager
Country Manager
Answers: 1

POSTER_ID:8514403

Send a message

Post by CBenson
I guess that highlights another problem with lack of city names, the increased probability that there are two roads named "Green Glade Rd, MD."
CBenson
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps
Send a message
Regional Coordinator: Mid-Atlantic, US
Verizon, Nexus 6, Android 6.0.1, Waze 4.7.0.902

Post by CBenson
I'm only getting the correct location in the app for 4311 Green Glade Rd, Phoenix, MD. I don't know why the live map is giving the old Google location.
CBenson
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps
Send a message

Post by CBenson
Yes, that is the way it works. The autofill list is from the Google database, but if you complete the search you are taken to the waze tab with the waze result.

Although I am surprised that in this case waze understands that "2 Quail Crossing, Vernon, CT" matches "2 Quail Xing, Vernon, CT" and thus doesn't also present the Google result on the waze tab.
CBenson
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps
Send a message

Post by CBenson
Not sure. But if the city names don't match then we know that waze won't find that its entry matches the Google entry.
CBenson
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps
Send a message

Post by CBenson
Yes, I think it does. But as it does, I'm surprised it doesn't offer the Google alternative under the waze tab. It seems to do this when the cities are different.
CBenson
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps
Send a message

Post by CBenson
Exactly, the autofill results use the Google database entries. Selecting an autofill result will route you to the Google pin location, unless there is an exact waze match in which case you will be routed to the waze stop point. If you complete the search or ask for more options you are given a set of best matches from both waze and Google, but with the waze results favored. In this case, it seems that the match is not good enough to have the autofill result route to the waze pin. But it is good enough that the Google result does show on the waze tab in the app.

Some other examples with slightly different results. Take 2172 Mulberry Hill Rd, Annapolis, Maryland. This address is in both the Google database and the waze database. The waze stop point is at the end of the driveway that is far from the closest point on the road to the house, where the Google pin is. As there is a perfect match here, selecting either the autofill result or the search result on the waze tab will route me to the waze stop point at the end of the driveway. (If I switch the search result to the Google tab and select that entry, I am routed to the closest point on the road to the house.)

Another example is 355 Montecristo Ct. Here waze is using the CDP so its "355 Montecristo Ct, Odenton, MD," while Google is using the mailing ZIP so its "355 Montecristo Court, Severn, MD" The autofill result is the Google result "355 Montecristo Ct, Severn, MD United States" routing to it shows the destination flag at the Google pin location. If you complete the search you get both "355 Montecristo Court, Severn, MD" and "355 Montecristo Ct, Odenton, MD" as results. As the city names are different, waze doesn't know they are the same place. If you choose the "Severn" entry you get the destination flag at the Google pin. If you choose the "Odenton" entry you get the destination flag at the waze stop point on the road.
CBenson
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps
Send a message

Post by CBenson
It is hard to guarantee anything as this is mostly based on trial and error, but yes I would think that would work. The only caveat is that it is the accepted abbreviation to use in waze so it wouldn't be consistent with the rest of the map. However, the abbreviations haven't really been tested for this issue.

The other tack is that the problem here seems to be that Google has no addresses for Quail Crossing. You could add them in Google mapmaker.
CBenson
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps
Send a message

Post by CBenson
There hasn't been a tile update since your change has there?
CBenson
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps
Send a message

Post by kodi75
@Bigbear - I am an editor modifying address locations in Waze's database. Live Map still routes to the wrong locations.

When I made my original "fixes" I indicated to the orginal reporter that they may have to recreate their "favorites" and/or update the map tile in the app.
kodi75
Country Manager
Country Manager
Send a message