Always ask a user to complete his UR going online

Request NEW features or CHANGES to existing features of the Waze Map Editor

If you think you've found a BUG, use the appropriate "Official Feedback" thread found in the Waze Map Editor forum (parent of this forum).

If you have a request for new or modified feature of the Waze Map Editor, use this forum.

Moderators: krankyd, Unholy

Forum rules
Request NEW features or CHANGES to existing features of the Waze Map Editor

If you think you've found a BUG, use the appropriate "Official Feedback" thread found in the Waze Map Editor forum (parent of this forum).

If you have a request for new or modified feature of the Waze Map Editor, use this forum.

Re: Always ask a user to complete his UR going online

Postby bart99gt » Sat Feb 01, 2014 9:06 pm

Perhaps a better compromise would be simply to have a script that would automatically clean up URs with no user input and/or no conversations after 60-90 days.

I personally think that most URs that show up for no apparent reason are probably new users farming bonus points. Perhaps the best solution would to eliminate the bonus points or try to incorporate a method by which the UR has to be actually resolved before someone gets the points. It may cut down on the "missing overpass" URs on a road that doesn't have a bridge under/over another road for miles.
Area Manager: Northern Mississippi
bart99gt

Always ask a user to complete his UR going online

Postby Calopez78 » Wed Nov 27, 2013 1:44 am

Hi

The conversations feature is fantastic. I thought it was going to give me all information to solve every single UR published. But the fact is, when I don't get the problem and write the user in order to ask for more information (90% of times), only a few answer.

So I've found that my previous challenge of just closing a lot of UR as not identified has translated to
1. Send a message requesting for more information
2. Wait forever for a reply that won't come
3. Mark the UR as not identified

What if a user could only "complete" his UR when after automatically receiving a link for completing information (after having sent the UR in the app) he goes and fills that information. Only then the UR would be visible for editors in the WME.

I don't know if posting an UR gives points to a user. But under this idea, I think it should.

Best
Carlos A. López-Calopez78
CM: Colombia
"Experto" en Colombia: Navegación/Ruteo
Moderador:Foro de Colombia.
Wiki: Waze en Colombia
Calopez78
Local Champ Mentor
Local Champ Mentor

Re: complete UR going online

Postby Calopez78 » Thu Feb 20, 2014 7:16 pm

dbraughlr wrote:Put me down as opposed to requiring reporters to complete a UR submission online.
I am opposed to automatically purging older URs. The accumulation of URs in an untended area is a valuable signal to real problems and priorities.

Many URs contain enough information to complete with no interaction with the user..

Would like to know what you mean by "Many". I'm not lying when I say I believe 90% can't be solved and users won't reply to further information requests. For discussion purposes reduce that to 50% and it will mean that half of the time you spend opening, commenting and opening URs for improving the map is wasted time.

Regarding accumulation I admit is a valuable tool because the cluster of URs reveals something. But I'd change 100 UR's that may lead you to find the error for a single one well explained with the actual error.
Carlos A. López-Calopez78
CM: Colombia
"Experto" en Colombia: Navegación/Ruteo
Moderador:Foro de Colombia.
Wiki: Waze en Colombia
Calopez78
Local Champ Mentor
Local Champ Mentor

Postby dbraughlr » Mon Feb 03, 2014 7:17 pm

Put me down as opposed to requiring reporters to complete a UR submission online.
I am opposed to automatically purging older URs. The accumulation of URs in an untended area is a valuable signal to real problems and priorities.

Many URs contain enough information to complete with no interaction with the user.

Furthermore, just because one editor can't figure it out from the information given doesn't mean that another editor cannot.

It would be far better to have Waze improve the collection and presentation of data with the UR.

The actual GPS trace with little arrows, gps resolution distance ("accuracy"), the route being given, and to what roads Waze snapped should always be given.

The route being given should make clear all turn instructions including advance warnings and path reversals.

I would much rather see effort put into improving the data collection.
ImageImageѬ
dbraughlr

Postby dbraughlr » Thu Feb 20, 2014 10:32 pm

Calopez78 wrote:
dbraughlr wrote:Many URs contain enough information to complete with no interaction with the user..

Would like to know what you mean by "Many".

I mean that I correct a lot of real problems solely from the initial report.
Suppose that it is only 10%. I do not wish to forfeit that 10%.
I think there are much better solutions to address your concerns without losing valuable reports.
dbraughlr

Postby MGODLEW » Mon Dec 02, 2013 4:59 pm

I'm pretty sure this has already been suggested, but either way. I agree!
Rank 5 US Champ & Waze Mentor | PA Forum | PA Wiki | Waze FAQ | iPhone 5s: JB iOS 7.0.6 |
Area Managing: State of Pennsylvania
MGODLEW
US Waze Champs
US Waze Champs

Postby vince1612 » Wed Jan 22, 2014 1:31 am

An interesting idea.. But I don't know how many would actually take the time to do that after sending the UR.. Also some URs are very simple and obvious when it comes to see what the problem is.. So by stopping them from appearing until the Wazer completes his/her report we might delay it for no good reason or even never get it if the person doesn't complete it.

There should be an encouragement to give more information, but it shouldn't block or delay the UR to appear in WME.
1+1=3 - L'union des talents dépasse leur simple addition. / Uniting talents goes beyond simply adding them up.
vince1612

Return to WME Feature Requests