You MUST read the "[Guidelines] How to request and search for new features" before posting here.

If you think you've found a BUG, use the appropriate WME version release thread found in the Waze Map Editor forum (parent of this forum).

Forum rules
You MUST read the "[Guidelines] How to request and search for new features" before posting here.

If you think you've found a BUG, use the appropriate "Official Feedback" thread found in the Waze Map Editor forum (parent of this forum).

Idea: make "dirt road" a checkbox

Post by n8nagel
my idea:

instead of having dirt road/4x4 trail be a road type, make it a checkbox that will make the road display in a distinct color on the screen.

Reason: in my opinion a dirt road could be either a street or a private road. However if you use private road type to prevent routing it shows on the map as a street, although it may also be unpaved.

Way I'm envisioning it is maybe in the schema you'd just have one parameter for dirt road color, and then have that color replace the "color1" that would be normally used for the road type when the dirt road flag is set.

That way if you had an unpaved road of any type, the thickness, declutter, etc. would all remain consistent with the road type, but you could set it to a tan-brown color to indicate to the user that it was in fact an unpaved road. I'm thinking of instances like the Alcan Highway where you've got what might be classified as a major/minor highway while yet being unpaved in portions. (I realize that that's not a valid example as it is now apparently completely paved, but you get the idea.)

I do realize that this idea would require a significant rework, but I'm just throwing it out there because I think it would be a real improvement.

Just a thought...
n8nagel

POSTER_ID:11401730

Send a message

Post by AlanOfTheBerg
The idea of having an attribute of "unpaved" or "unimproved" came out of the 2013 Palo Alto meetup, where it was initially proposed to do things like renamed "dirt/4x4" and have a new "offroad/4x4" type and also to remove the service road type. None of that has been started to date.
AlanOfTheBerg
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps
Send a message
Wiki Resources: Map Editing Manual | alanoftheberg@gmail.com
Oregon-based US Ex-Global Champ Editor | iPhone13Pro - VZ

Post by alexs001
I'm in favor of this.
Since many dirt roads are out of cellular coverage, waze has little opportunity to collect speed data for these segments. Currently, almost all routes using dirt segments are grossly underestimated for speed and ETAs are very inaccurate. If we used the familiar default speeds for road types with a percentage penalty for dirt, we could cut down these errors significantly.
alexs001
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs
Answers: 9
Send a message
Local Champ: Canada
Area Manager: Okanagan Valley, BC / Newfoundland and Labrador

https://s.waze.tools/c6.png https://s.waze.tools/s0500.png

Post by jondrush
This has been requested many times. Waze is receptive to the idea, but they have given us no implementation plan at this time.
jondrush
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps
Send a message