You MUST read the "[Guidelines] How to request and search for new features" before posting here.

If you think you've found a BUG, use the appropriate WME version release thread found in the Waze Map Editor forum (parent of this forum).

Forum rules
You MUST read the "[Guidelines] How to request and search for new features" before posting here.

If you think you've found a BUG, use the appropriate "Official Feedback" thread found in the Waze Map Editor forum (parent of this forum).

Multiple Entrances for large Buildings

Post by Catija
Hi! I've been using Waze for a while but haven't gotten into the forums before. Please smack me if this is inappropriate or inform me if there actually is a way to do some of this that I'm just not aware of.

Anyway, one of the major issues I've found is how fixed Waze is about only using the end point of the actual address point it estimates on the maps... this means for large buildings with multiple entrances (think malls/department stores, even some strip malls), Waze will unerringly try to take you to a place that may not even be an entrance... I've been directed to loading docks before, for example (at the Austin Bergstrom Airport, the address it takes you to is extremely unhelpful).

I'm guessing this may be way in the future but I think it would be extremely helpful to have the parking areas and door locations marked on the Waze maps and the option to select which door you'd like to use or a recommendation for which would be the closest based on your starting point... I cut my drive 10 minutes shorter one time by using an alternate entrance to a Sears when going to the addressed entrance would have required I go around three sides of the building due to some one-way streets.

Following this mode of thought... it'd also be really neat if places like malls were mapped out internally, so Waze could actually show you how to get between stores in the mall if you were somewhere you weren't familiar with... I find that malls are horrid for actually posting maps.

I also think that Waze has a major issue with strip malls. I find that there needs to be a way to say "Hey, Waze, this is the place the doors to this shop actually are, so when people get directions to this address/shop name, send them here, not to wherever else you think the address is."

Also, anyone else think there should be a different sort of "pavement" for parking lots that allows you to show that you can drive on them rather than the pale green... but that doesn't require street names?
Catija

POSTER_ID:17025117

Send a message

Post by arthurfsv
This is a great idea, indeed. Specially now that parking lot feature is being improved, I face an issue with many of them having multiple entrances, or one place with a main entrance (for pedestrians) and other for parking lot.
arthurfsv
Emeritus Local Champ
Emeritus Local Champ
Send a message
Arthur Fernando
AM - Belo Horizonte (Região oeste, centro e centro-sul)

É iniciante nas edições? Confira estes links básicos: manual, guia e práticas.

Quer melhorar a organização dos Places? Veja esta proposta

Post by LIONisKING
I think the problem is big corporation buildings and schools. Which can be fixed by putting the house number on the right side of the road or by google pin. Depending on which direction you are traveling Waze takes you to closest entrance of a mall. Since we cannot name each store and add every single parking lot, once you enter the mall you are on your own.
The reason we cannot add every single parking lot it will cause lots of clutter on the map and unnecessary data for Waze.
Also if you report an UR editors can try to fix the issue. Not sure if you are an editor yourself.
LIONisKING
Send a message

Post by LIONisKING
Yes it will navigate through the parking lot, absolutely.
Thank you for more info.
LIONisKING
Send a message

Post by LIONisKING
I was referring to his comment o. waze navigating him to the exact location of the store or the exact part of the mall. Should've been clear about that.
LIONisKING
Send a message

Post by taco909
Not just for buildings, but quite often public parks have more than one parking lot.
Currently, we are forced to create multiple areas adjacent to each parking area and give the area places a name such as "Eastlake Park Grismer Entrance" and "Eastlake Park Wallace Entrance"
The search for "Eastlake Park" will show all of the areas and the driver then selects.

The problem with multiple stop points on one area is that we don't know which entrance the driver would prefer. Maybe they want 2nd floor clothing, which is off of the parking structure, and someone else wants tools, which is 1st floor on the other side of the building.
The way Waze currently operates, it would nagivate them to the road nearest to the stop point that is nearest to their position unless there were a way to distinguish between them by the driver...

And places are enough of a handful now without adding the need to map the closest departments to each of the 6 entrances.
taco909  
Map Editor - Level 4
Map Editor - Level 4
Send a message
-- Rich

Post by taco909
GS-1905 wrote:I think the problem is big corporation buildings and schools. Which can be fixed by putting the house number on the right side of the road or by google pin.
Waze does not look at the physical location of the address pin, only at the stop point on the named street the pin is attached to. Using ONLY the address pin, the best we can do is navigate the driver to the driveway or PVT road entrance on the named road.

Waze Place Pins can navigate through the parking lot and work wonderfully, but they require accurate pin placement by the person reporting the place from the app.
taco909  
Map Editor - Level 4
Map Editor - Level 4
Send a message
-- Rich

Post by taco909
GS-1905 wrote:I was referring to his comment o. waze navigating him to the exact location of the store or the exact part of the mall. Should've been clear about that.
And we can do that with the place pins, but not with the address pin.

And it is certainly possible to map the location of each store in most cases, but it requires the input from the users in the field.

Now, an indoor shopping mall with only a few entrances, that can be a big problem.

Since Waze is a driving app and not a walking app, we can not map the internal walkways in the mall.
Dropping a pin on each store (which would need to be done from outside since GPS is needed) would result in the drivers being routed to the PLR nearest the store.
In some cases this will get the driver into the ballpark, but in other cases, there may be one entire side of the mall with nothing but service/delivery entrances and no way to conveniently walk in, and possibly not even a place to park.

On the bright side, I have noticed that Google Maps is now beginning to map some internal features. The Best Buy at the city I work in is actually mapped out by department.
Assuming that this trend is continuing and expanding, perhaps some day we will have a way to "attach" a Waze PLR to a Google walking route within a large pedestrian complex.
Until then, Google Maps is probably the best alternative for the pedestrian.
taco909  
Map Editor - Level 4
Map Editor - Level 4
Send a message
-- Rich