You MUST read the "[Guidelines] How to request and search for new features" before posting here.

If you think you've found a BUG, use the appropriate WME version release thread found in the Waze Map Editor forum (parent of this forum).

Forum rules
You MUST read the "[Guidelines] How to request and search for new features" before posting here.

If you think you've found a BUG, use the appropriate "Official Feedback" thread found in the Waze Map Editor forum (parent of this forum).

Auto MPs due to no carpark and petrol station road segments

Post by Osprey06
Hi,

I'm not sure if this is a WME feature request per se, but I think this is still the most appropriate place.

In my (admittedly rather limited) Waze editing experience, auto generated map problems mostly relate to lack of internal road segments for carpars and petrol (gas) stations - invariably most of which are recorded as either a carpark or petrosl station 'place' in Waze already. Recently thousands of these map problems (MPs) have been identified in areas that I am able to edit.

A question:
Does Waze really need to record internal road segments for these areas? Is not identifying them as a carpark or gas station 'place' enough? In order to function as one of these places they require some form of internal road structure, but I'm not convinced of the need record these structures for each and every petrol station, for instance, in Waze. I am aware that the wiki suggests recording major road segments for carparks etc. (and I have done this for carparks in the past). Either way, these roads are not intended for routing so I'm not really convinced of their useful-ness.

A sugestion:
Pending the answer to my question above, I would like to suggest that 'missing road' map problems which are identified at a location where a carpark or petrol station 'place' is recorded be automatically supressed by the WME. Identifiying rafts of them (as has occurred recently) clutters the WME, creates some issues with lower level editors creating internal segments and being unable to connect them to major (L3+) segments and diverts editing resources away from more pressing issues (such as actual missing roads).

Thanks for reading.
Osprey06

POSTER_ID:16969367

Send a message

Post by AlanOfTheBerg
Osprey06 wrote:Does Waze really need to record internal road segments for these areas? Is not identifying them as a carpark or gas station 'place' enough?
Not necessarily. Stations on corners for example, will route much better when a parking lot road is included. Otherwise, Waze will only route the driver to one side of the property or the other which may leave the driver unable to cross the center line.
Osprey06 wrote:...I would like to suggest that 'missing road' map problems which are identified at a location where a carpark or petrol station 'place' is recorded be automatically supressed by the WME.
I'll go one step further and say that many champs have expressed desire to see "missing road" MPs stopped completely. I find that at least 8 out of every 10 I close with no action because they are invalid. This probably won't happen. And, probably won't be adjusted to take into account crossing and kind of Place.
AlanOfTheBerg
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps
Send a message
Wiki Resources: Map Editing Manual | alanoftheberg@gmail.com
Oregon-based US Ex-Global Champ Editor | iPhone13Pro - VZ

Post by LIONisKING
I think MP's should stay. Even tho you said 8 out of 10 are invalid the 2 that are correct add up real fast and can cause issues. I agree with the fact that most of them are invalid but really not very time consuming to close, are they?
I read and appreciate your posts all the time Alan. Thank you.
LIONisKING
Send a message

Post by papok
Osprey06 wrote:A sugestion:
Pending the answer to my question above, I would like to suggest that 'missing road' map problems which are identified at a location where a carpark or petrol station 'place' is recorded be automatically supressed by the WME
Well, that's actually the case. Automatic MP are supressed where carpark and petrol stations places are. The problem is that the comunity has decided not to snap this places to streets because... "Automatic MP are supressed where carpark and petrol stations places are"

My personal opinon is that this area places (actually all area places) should be snaped to the streets they are on. Besides looking much better in the client, they can supress the reports generated by entering and exiting them.

Regards,

Papo.
papok
Waze Local Champs
Waze Local Champs
Send a message