You MUST read the "[Guidelines] How to request and search for new features" before posting here.

If you think you've found a BUG, use the appropriate WME version release thread found in the Waze Map Editor forum (parent of this forum).

Forum rules
You MUST read the "[Guidelines] How to request and search for new features" before posting here.

If you think you've found a BUG, use the appropriate "Official Feedback" thread found in the Waze Map Editor forum (parent of this forum).

Import GPX tracks into editor

Post by hissdudeness
I know that's just a minor issue, but as I look to populate the map with rivers and creeks and lakes and ponds in my area I sometimes I can't even use SAT-images due to trees that cover the ground. The only options I'd have is to try and copy the way they're shown elsewhere, or simply walk/cycle along, record a track and paint the shorelines according to it.
hissdudeness

POSTER_ID:17027265

Send a message

Post by DwarfLord
Please consider restraint when adding natural features to Waze, especially water features!

If the features are so inconspicuous that a driver would be hard-pressed to see any surface water, just lots of trees and a pipe culvert under the road, that is not good enough to put it in bright blue on the phone of every Waze user in the area.

All Places are navigation destinations. Area Places serve the added purpose of orientation for drivers. Minor watershed information, valuable though it may be to outdoorsmen and hydrologists, is neither a destination nor a visible landmark for the vast majority of drivers. To the extent that you plan to map features hidden or nearly so from drivable roads, what you are proposing is to increase the complexity of all Wazers' displays with information they don't want and can't use.

Now, surface water obvious from the road, that's a different story. That can certainly help orient drivers. With creeks, remember to map just the water, not the culvert or greenspace on either side. Otherwise little trickles end up looking like the Mississippi on the app. If the creek is too thin to map easily just representing the water surface, it is probably best not to map it at all.

Finally, remember that Waze already has a water layer. There's generally no need to re-map something that Waze already has. You can check in Live Map to see.

Sorry if this sounds discouraging! I just want to help you focus your energy where it will do the most good. As an Area Manager I have had to delete some water features added by a new editor and it was rough for both me and the contributor!
DwarfLord
Wiki Master
Wiki Master
Send a message

Post by DwarfLord
hissdudeness wrote:Someone edited a creek right to the edge of the town that I am editing currently. The creek does not end there however. What am I to do: Ask an area manager to remove the whole creek altogether, paint my part of it despite it is rather less noticeable, or leave it as inconsistent as it is now?
It is always good to work with the Area Manager. If it were in my area, I would ask if any surface water is visible to drivers. I wouldn't want bright blue displaying on the app when no surface water can be seen from the road anywhere, even if there is a culvert or greenspace associated with the creek. Your area manager may be more flexible, but based on Mynios' comment, I would suspect not.
DwarfLord
Wiki Master
Wiki Master
Send a message

Post by hissdudeness
Thank you for your extensive explanation. Really appreciated. However, one thing is unclear to me: Someone edited a creek right to the edge of the town that I am editing currently. The creek does not end there however. What am I to do: Ask an area manager to remove the whole creek altogether, paint my part of it despite it is rather less noticeable, or leave it as inconsistent as it is now?
Also, the water layer in my country (Germany) is not that comprehensive. The basemap does hardly contain any water. The major rivers are included, lakes and medium sized rivers (very noticeable though) are still missing in some areas, so it is adding, not re-mapping.
hissdudeness
Send a message

Post by Mynios
Du solltest immer im Hinterkopf haben dass Waze eine PKW-Navigationsapp ist und Landmarks in Ländern unterschiedlich gehandhabt werden.
Mynios
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps
Send a message