You MUST read the "[Guidelines] How to request and search for new features" before posting here.

If you think you've found a BUG, use the appropriate WME version release thread found in the Waze Map Editor forum (parent of this forum).

Forum rules
You MUST read the "[Guidelines] How to request and search for new features" before posting here.

If you think you've found a BUG, use the appropriate "Official Feedback" thread found in the Waze Map Editor forum (parent of this forum).

Levels for closures

Post by cw2cj
I was wondering if there is a way that closures can be open to all map editors regardless of their level. Often, major roads and on/off ramps are locked to a high level as they don't change very often. The problem is that lower level editors may live in the area and are the most knowledgeable about construction in their area. A closure should be able to be put in by anyone. A closure is hard to do on the app as you are usually driving past the closure and ramps are hard to select on the app. Closures and construction should be able to be input by any map editor and then can be cleared by either the user who input the construction or a higher level editor. Thoughts?
cw2cj

POSTER_ID:10846789

Send a message

Post by AlObaili
On the Waze app you can set the report for later, continue your journey, and when you are at a safe condition to use your phone, resume you report.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
AlObaili
PartnerCoordinator
PartnerCoordinator
Send a message

download/file.php?id=58773https://s.waze.tools/s0500.pnghttps://s.waze.tools/beta.pnghttps://s.waze.tools/c6s.png
مـنـســـق مــجـتـمـع ويـز الـسـعــوديـة والــبحـريـن ومـنـســق الـتعــريـب لـمـنـتجـات ويــز
CM for Saudi Arabia & Bahrain & Transifex Coordinator for Arabic

Post by Bigbear3764
My thought is no. Too much chance for abuse by another thinking they are helping. There are several ways to get a hold of a senior editor to make a closure for you. There is the closure request form, find someone on chat, PM to your state manager, and Google hangouts is a popular way to get a hold of someone. We have a Great Lakes region Google hangout that an RC has used to get ahold of one of us at a computer to enter a closure.

Sorry, I'm on my phone and don't have any of the links handy right now.

Bigbear3764
Country Manager
Country Manager
Send a message

Post by ct13
Bigbear3764 wrote:My thought is no. Too much chance for abuse by another thinking they are helping. There are several ways to get a hold of a senior editor to make a closure for you. There is the closure request form, find someone on chat, PM to your state manager, and Google hangouts is a popular way to get a hold of someone. We have a Great Lakes region Google hangout that an RC has used to get ahold of one of us at a computer to enter a closure.

Sorry, I'm on my phone and don't have any of the links handy right now.

Waze real time closures wiki page
Closure form
Potential for abuse
ct13
US Waze Champs
US Waze Champs
Send a message

Post by cw2cj
Thank you for the feedback and sorry that it took so long to reply. I understand the ability for abuse. I was really thinking that a map editor with their home in the area would be able to set the closure. What if we allowed the lower level editors to set the closure for 24 hours and automatically PM the SM or RC for final approval? Here in the mountains, if an exit is closed, you may have to travel several miles before you can turn around. As I stated in the OP, trying to mark a closure on the fly is very difficult. You can't zoom in enough to easily select an off ramp when you are driving by on the interstate. I guess for now I will keep an eye on the construction reports and get a message to an appropriate map editor to set and clear the closures.
cw2cj
Send a message

Post by kfae8959
I'm strongly in favour of making it possible to mark road closures using the map editor.

Currently, for instance, a fairly major junction in the city where I live is closed from several directions, but Waze still didn't know about it after more than a week. Even if I had been able to send a report while driving (which I can't because it's illegal to use a mobile phone while driving in the UK, as in several other places), it would only have related to the direction from which I approached the closure. Instead, I would have liked to have waited until I was at home, and marked all the details of the closure, from all affected approaches.

David
kfae8959
Send a message

Post by kfae8959
vince1612 wrote:
kfae8959 wrote:I'm strongly in favour of making it possible to mark road closures using the map editor.
This is already possible to editors after they've reached a certain level.
Thank you - yes, I did know that, but I don't understand why I shouldn't be allowed to do it myself!

David
kfae8959
Send a message

Post by russblau
AlObaili wrote:On the Waze app you can set the report for later, continue your journey, and when you are at a safe condition to use your phone, resume you report.
In theory, yes. In my experience, it doesn't always work in practice, especially for closure reports.
russblau
State Manager
State Manager
Answers: 1
Send a message

Post by SwenVandenberk
I'd like to see the same permissions for closures as we have for time restrictions now. At a basic level they have the same effect: they block routing through that segment or through multiple segments. When I can set a time restriction to a certain segment, I should be able to set a closure on that segment too.

I don't need the real-time closure functionality at my level though, I don't have that with time-restrictions either so that can be restricted to L4 and up as far as I 'm concerned. Only being able to set closures that will become active in the future and after a next tile update is good enough.

Now..., that's what I'd like to see, I do realize that closures have a real-time behavior and that they actually run on top of the other features (which is why they lock segments from being edited when a closure is active on it, ...). Still, would be nice :-)
SwenVandenberk
Country Manager
Country Manager
Send a message

Post by SwenVandenberk
On the 'Potential for abuse'-part. There are a lot more options than closures to get less traffic through your own neighborhood and these other options are far less visible than closures:
* changing streets to private roads (or only one or two segments, enough to get a reroute to another area)
* setting turn restrictions to red: very hard to see on the map and they are typically only detected when map reports are popping up

There is potential for abuse with road closures, but you have the same with time based segment restrictions, turn restrictions, road types, ....
SwenVandenberk
Country Manager
Country Manager
Send a message