First-Time Login Tour / Tutorial

You MUST read the "[Guidelines] How to request and search for new features" before posting here.

If you think you've found a BUG, use the appropriate "Official Feedback" thread found in the Waze Map Editor forum (parent of this forum).

Moderators: Unholy, bextein

Forum rules
You MUST read the "[Guidelines] How to request and search for new features" before posting here.

If you think you've found a BUG, use the appropriate "Official Feedback" thread found in the Waze Map Editor forum (parent of this forum).

First-Time Login Tour / Tutorial

Postby whoaitspete » Wed Nov 13, 2019 6:19 pm

With the [hopefully temporary] loss of chat, it is now a bit more difficult for a first-time user to engage the editing community or even find it in the first place. While there are some other options communities are exploring to catch new editors, I think a quick tour native to WME would be helpful for both community retention as well as for first-time editing help for those who may not have familiarity editing in a GIS-type environment.

Essentially, I envision a new user would login and a pop-up would appear inviting the user to take a quick tour / tutorial. The screen would be darkened except for a highlighted area, and a pop-up/chat bubble would explain the highlighted area. We would only want this to be a few steps, highlight some major WME sections, and highlight ways to connect to the community. Attached below is an example from another website.

I would envision highlights such as:
- "This is the layers button. You can turn on extra layers to see roads, places, comments from other editors, etc."
- "This area contains a feed of map content, your recent drives and editable area, and your Waze map editor settings"
- "This icon can create a permalink that links directly to selected objects in the editor. Click the icon to open the link on your screen or copy it with Ctrl-C"
- (Pointing at the bottom left of the screen) "This area contains links to the Waze Forums and Wiki, where you can find editing help and connect with other editors in the Waze Community"

You could have a couple pop-up boxes on the same screen, then a next button brings you to the next set. It wouldn't have to be too intensive, but at least give the users enough to start editing with. I think it has an advantage over the tutorial videos we typically link to, as users may not want to navigate to a video right after logging in their first time. This would be less intrusive, but still provide information. Yes they can click through it fast (or maybe even skip it altogether if the option is given), but they would at least see the areas highlighted quickly even if they do not read what they are for.
Attachments
KhanTourExample.jpg
whoaitspete
Country Manager
Country Manager

Return to WME Feature Requests