You MUST read the "[Guidelines] How to request and search for new features" before posting here.

If you think you've found a BUG, use the appropriate WME version release thread found in the Waze Map Editor forum (parent of this forum).
Post by Robert04101
michelesharik wrote:I agree that further granularity is needed in the "dirt road" category. I live in an area with dirt roads, some of which are graded by the County and thus easy to drive on, and some which are not and so are ... not. :-/ It would be nice to be able to distinguish between these types of roads when following Waze navigation. Thanks!
There's something in Beta that's moving in the right direction.
Robert04101
Send a message

Post by Robert04101
abright52 wrote:We really need to either change it to Paved / Unpaved or have three categories:
-Paved
-Unpaved - Maintained
-Unpaved - Not Maintained
Ageed, and I think the current set of options, in principle, allows this:
-Paved = Street (or PS, ...)
-Unpaved (Maintained) = Street + checked "Dirt" box
-Unpaved (Not Maintained) = Dirt/4x4 road type

This arrangement is only useful, however, if there's some implementation in the app.

It would be far better if Waze followed Google Map's lead and had "paving type" be defined list, rather than a simple either/or flag.
Robert04101
Send a message

Post by Robert04101
tbk0 wrote:A checkbox flag for unpaved is correct, because we need to select also for primary, minor and major segments. Of course it is necessary some implementation in the APP and also visibility of unpaved segments on the APP and on livemap.
Sorry, I wasn't clear. I want two distinct controls:
1. Road Type (same as now)
2. Road Surface (menu box: Paved, Graded Gravel, Loose Gravel, Dirt, ...)

There's a big difference in road quality between a municipally-maintained packed gravel road and a rutted track down to a lake, but we don't have a clear way of communicating that to the app users.
Robert04101
Send a message

Post by tbk0
I see the new checkbox "Dirt Road / 4x4 Trail", do you have informations on that ?

In Iceland there are many thousands km of unpaved roads and they are the only roads to connect large areas of the country, but there are also many hundreds km of 4x4 roads where is necessary to wade rivers and these can only be used from 4x4

Would be very useful indicate on the streets / primary / minor and major segments, the sections paved / unpaved , and fantastic if the routing algorithm will use these informations.
tbk0
Area Manager
Area Manager
Send a message
Iceland

Post by tbk0
Can we start to use the checkbox for unpaved roads or is better to wait ?

I have just 8000km of public unpaved roads in Iceland and I don't want to waste time.
tbk0
Area Manager
Area Manager
Send a message
Iceland

Post by tbk0
A checkbox flag for unpaved is correct, because we need to select also for primary, minor and major segments. Of course it is necessary some implementation in the APP and also visibility of unpaved segments on the APP and on livemap.
tbk0
Area Manager
Area Manager
Send a message
Iceland

Post by tbk0
Thx, now is clear and this is a perfect solution.
tbk0
Area Manager
Area Manager
Send a message
Iceland

Post by theclem54
Anyone have an update on whether the Unpaved checkbox has any effect in the app yet?

There are plenty of roads here in Australia that need both the Unpaved checkbox option as well as the Highway road type.
theclem54
Country Manager
Country Manager
Send a message

Post by umopapisdn
I have a suggestion regarding this now that we're using functional classification maps to govern our editing:

in many locations it's not uncommon for unpaved roads to be classified for very different purposes, making the "Dirt road / 4x4 Trail" road type more or less obsolete. The need still exists for drivers to be made aware of the type of driving conditions they may encounter.

So, why not make it a checkbox?

Just like toll roads, you could classify anything from a major highway to private road as a dirt road. the user can opt out exactly the same as if they had checked "avoid toll roads." the framework for this already exists, so why wouldn't this be the next logical step?
umopapisdn
Area Manager
Area Manager
Send a message
--
umopapisdn
armchair cartographer
Indianapolis, Indiana, USA
Area Manager for most of Central and Southern Indiana; LAM INDOT Vincennes District.