You MUST read the "[Guidelines] How to request and search for new features" before posting here.

If you think you've found a BUG, use the appropriate WME version release thread found in the Waze Map Editor forum (parent of this forum).

Forum rules
You MUST read the "[Guidelines] How to request and search for new features" before posting here.

If you think you've found a BUG, use the appropriate "Official Feedback" thread found in the Waze Map Editor forum (parent of this forum).

Suggestion: Separate unpaved road setting

Post by bart99gt
I know there is currently a 4x4/Dirt road selection in the editor, however, I think this is a bit limiting and implies that the road, while vehicle accessible, is a completely unimproved and impassible by some vehicles.

In many areas, you still have some roads that are still gravel/dirt, but are well graded, and are maintained on a semi-regular basis making them wholly passable by most vehicles. Right now, I suspect most of these are probably being classified as regular streets, while being more accurate than the 4x4 road description, still may lead a user down a road they'd like to avoid, or if it were labeled as a dirt/4x4 road may needlessly send someone on a much longer route to avoid one mile of good gravel road.

My suggestion is to add a category for a semi-improved street to better distinguish between the two.
bart99gt

POSTER_ID:15164168

Send a message
MAR LAM (W DC Suburbs)
MS/AR/Atlanta Metro AM

Post by abright52
We really need to either change it to Paved / Unpaved or have three categories:
-Paved
-Unpaved - Maintained
-Unpaved - Not Maintained

Most people (myself included) only want to drive on paved roads. Unless the final destination is gravel, I never want to be routed on gravel. Rock chips are expensive.

User will select the minimum road quality that they want to be routed on. I would select "Paved", in my case, and the other two road qualities will be ignored unless routing to a location on that road. In that case, it would route to the shortest distance on the low quality road.

I can't imagine that the number of people that want to be routed on dirt roads exceeds the number of people that want to only be routed on pavement. But that is just my experience in the US...could be completely different in ROW.

NOTES:
I have been routed on gravel through Waze in the past...I turned around until I found a route with no gravel...this just added time and frustration.
Some people think there is a natural speed penalty on gravel. That is not always the case, I know several people who regularly drive on gravel and they drive similar speeds as on pavement. It's all in what you are used to.
abright52
Area Manager
Area Manager
Send a message
https://s.waze.tools/s0075.pnghttps://s.waze.tools/c4.png
IL D1 Large Area Manager: Cook, Lake, McHenry, Kane, Dupage, & Will Counties
McDonough County, IL Area Manager
Over 100,000 Waze Driven Miles!

Post by AlanOfTheBerg
Already on the list / planned. Please see the 2013 meetup thread in the United States forum. There may be more discussion in that thread too, or search for "unpaved." I know there's been a thread or two about it already.
AlanOfTheBerg
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps
Send a message
Wiki Resources: Map Editing Manual | alanoftheberg@gmail.com
Oregon-based US Ex-Global Champ Editor | iPhone13Pro - VZ

AlanOfTheBerg
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps
Send a message

Post by AlanOfTheBerg
The current checkbox was a product team decision. Problem is is that in 2013, Waze told us they were going to implement it as "unpaved." The global champ community has made it very clear to Waze that pretty much every disagrees with the implementation of this checkbox, named as it is. and also based on what we've been told about the functionality of this checkbox when it comes to the app. Hopefully, they will come around and change what we have today.
AlanOfTheBerg
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps
Send a message

Post by DaJoNel
Any update on when we may see this feature? This will help immeasurably in my local area.
DaJoNel
State Manager
State Manager
Send a message

Post by id35
Something new about this new checkbox in WME?
I think it should be named "Unpaved" to avoid misunderstanding.
And have a penalty in Waze app for those who check "Avoid long dirt road"
id35
Area Manager
Area Manager
Send a message

Post by id35
I've noticed the name is changed now.
The English UK Roadtype says Dirt/4x4 and the checkbox Unpaved.
And I think the other languages says the same except for one.
The English US Roadtype says Unpaved and the checkbox Unpaved.
Some mistake in the English US i believe.
Otherwise it seems ok. Hope to get a clarification from Waze soon.
Would like to know if there is a penalty when Unpaved is checked.
id35
Area Manager
Area Manager
Send a message

Post by Jay91150
+1 for umopapisdn's suggestion. Alberta has many, many numbered (major) highways which are gravel without a yard of asphalt to be seen. They're the same width and construction/design of a paved highway, but just happen to have gravel as a surface rather than tarmac.
Jay91150
Send a message

Post by KC-Guardrail
Same with many county roads in rural Missouri. Many are FC as primary collectors but are gravel.
KC-Guardrail
Send a message