Discard GPS tracks that are at high speeds

Request NEW features or CHANGES to existing features of the Waze Map Editor

If you think you've found a BUG, use the appropriate "Official Feedback" thread found in the Waze Map Editor forum (parent of this forum).

If you have a request for new or modified feature of the Waze Map Editor, use this forum.

Moderators: krankyd, Unholy

Forum rules
Request NEW features or CHANGES to existing features of the Waze Map Editor

If you think you've found a BUG, use the appropriate "Official Feedback" thread found in the Waze Map Editor forum (parent of this forum).

If you have a request for new or modified feature of the Waze Map Editor, use this forum.

Re: Discard GPS tracks that are at high speeds

Postby AlanOfTheBerg » Sun Jun 23, 2013 12:38 am

We've asked this of Waze repeatedly. No real response.
Wiki Resources: Map Editing Manual | Oregon Project/To-Do List
Oregon-based US Country Manager | iPhone5 - VZ - iOS 7.0.6 | Waze v3.7.9.992
AlanOfTheBerg
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs

Postby AlanOfTheBerg » Fri Jun 28, 2013 8:31 pm

You bring up good points. 120MPH would be reasonable for the US and other countries. It would be great if this was configurable by country.

Riamus wrote:I think it would work better to ignore the tracks that are mainly off road. So if a track is going across the trees and only touch roads now and then, then they are probably in a plane and you can ignore the track. Just a thought.

It's quite difficult for computer to determine if a track off the road is random GPS error, or a real GPS track on a real road, or a track from someone in an airplane because all three of those often happen to multiple drivers. There are places you can see where everyone's GPS goes wonky and tracks make a beeline around corners, and where there are new roads not yet in Waze and their grouped together, and on approach to airports they would be all grouped together. Maybe people smarter than me can figure out an algorithm to determine which should be kept and which should not...
Wiki Resources: Map Editing Manual | Oregon Project/To-Do List
Oregon-based US Country Manager | iPhone5 - VZ - iOS 7.0.6 | Waze v3.7.9.992
AlanOfTheBerg
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs

Postby Riamus » Fri Jun 28, 2013 5:38 pm

That may or may not help depending on each individual track. Many of the straight lines you refer to appear to be caused by loss of GPS signal. When it reacquires the signal, it draws a line from the last point to the current point, which is often not on the road for most of the path. That's not necessarily related to speed. Of course, those are the ones where it clearly follows the road and then is straight and then follows the road again.

Also, unless the speed requirement suggested varies by location, 120MPH isn't a good option. There are roads with no speed limit like the Autobahn. And with speed limits going up in the US (I think it's up to 85MPH in places now), you'll have people topping 100 when speeding and that doesn't really mean they shouldn't be tracked.

And planes slow down quite a lot coming in to land, especially the small planes. It would be hard to get rid of their tracks if you do it based on speed.

I think it would work better to ignore the tracks that are mainly off road. So if a track is going across the trees and only touch roads now and then, then they are probably in a plane and you can ignore the track. Just a thought.
ImageImage
Area Manager: Michigan - Northern LP.
Waze running on Samsung Galaxy S3.
Riamus

Postby Riamus » Sat Jun 29, 2013 1:14 am

Hm, yeah. Older GPS aren't very accurate. Newer ones show you in the correct lane. I can look at my tracks and see exactly where I changed lanes and it's accurate at least most of the time. But older ones do tend to be off the road by 30-50 feet quite often. I'm not sure then. There probably is a way to program that, but it would be difficult. I'm just concerned that making the speed too low could cause loss of data. Of course, that may not be too bad... it would prevent people driving way too fast from messing up the road speeds. I just saw an automatic slow traffic warning the other day (yellow road) where the speed was a whole 1 mph below the speed limit. I'm sure I'll eventually see a "slow" speed warning where the speed is over the speed limit. If I were a police officer, I'd watch for those and then I'd know that the average speed through the area on a normal day at that time is over the speed limit and I'd know that I could write a lot of tickets.
ImageImage
Area Manager: Michigan - Northern LP.
Waze running on Samsung Galaxy S3.
Riamus

Discard GPS tracks that are at high speeds

Postby SJPadbury » Sat Jun 22, 2013 2:59 am

I've noted that there are quite often some GPS tracks that are causing "road not there" report that are in an extremely straight line, much like what you'd expect an aircraft to travel in. I remember reading some other mentions of this from other users as well, who specifically mentioned the airport landing patterns for their area. Wouldn't it be possible to just discard data that is moving at a speed that doesn't make sense, like 120MPH or higher, maybe?
SJPadbury

Return to WME Feature Requests