You MUST read the "[Guidelines] How to request and search for new features" before posting here.

If you think you've found a BUG, use the appropriate WME version release thread found in the Waze Map Editor forum (parent of this forum).

Forum rules
You MUST read the "[Guidelines] How to request and search for new features" before posting here.

If you think you've found a BUG, use the appropriate "Official Feedback" thread found in the Waze Map Editor forum (parent of this forum).

How about a "Play" area?

Post by CTGreybeard
I don't mean Play Mode. I know about that.

A few square miles (or kilometers, it matters not) where any editor has editing rights but is not connected to The Grid. Perhaps a South Pacific Atoll that we can cover with roads to nowhere.

Sometimes I'd like to "play" and then ask someone else what they think. Or noodle out a problem locally by duplicating it elsewhere (copy and paste would be GREAT!) but I don't want to play with my local streets to do it.

I know I could pick a remote hillside somewhere near me but it wouldn't necessarily be editable by everyone else. The CM's, etc. could but not Joe Editor.

I would imagine that it would be cleared automatically, maybe 30 days after the last edit of a segment and that segment would disappear. Or some "box" area to claim to play in that would go away after some time. Anyone could edit. I'm not sure how to handle locks as they are sometimes relevant but maybe they aren't that relevant to the idea.

New editors could be pointed to the play area for instruction. The "copy and paste" would be especially useful here. Even, perhaps, to include the aerials (but that's getting very ambitious!)

I suggest this because of a long post I wrote tonight to help a new waze editor. He is obviously eager to learn but very green. He's chosen a cemetery to try out first which is a very good choice but it would be much better if he could have an area where he could work, we could view and critique it, and yet not have it impact the real world.

Has this been suggested before? Thoughts?

And if you need someone to do field work to pick out the island be sure to remember who came up with the idea! :lol:
CTGreybeard

POSTER_ID:14965389

Send a message

Post by CTGreybeard
Awesome!

But you and I can't collaborate there unless I can get AM access to that area. That's what I'm suggesting, universal AM status to an area.

And my South Pacific Atoll suggestion still stands, I have no interest in getting a paid vacation to East Bumf .... ahhh, West Texas! :oops:
CTGreybeard
Send a message

Post by CTGreybeard
txemt wrote:So....what's stopping you from getting AM status for my playground? I don't bite, or throw sand. :)
Well, putting aside the problems I am having getting my AM area expanded in my own area, nothing. But if a few thousand other editors wanted to play in that area then it might tax the request system ... AlanOfTheBerg wouldn't be pleased I suspect! :roll: :D
CTGreybeard
Send a message

Post by CTGreybeard
Riamus wrote:What I think would be a great option, but one we will likely never see, would be to have editing privileges on the moon. Yes, that's right. The moon.
Interesting idea but I'm not sure how practical that would be. No roundabouts, no shopping malls, no highway flyovers, etc. BUT, the "terrain" is simply aerial images so the tiles could be built from anything. And they don't even have to be real, at least not by location. We could have Chicago right next to Las Vegas. Not to make them interact necessarily but if there is a particular area in a city that's worth working on then that tile or set of tiles (how big is a tile anyway?) could be plopped down in the play area. Maybe I, as an editor, could request a certain small area be duplicated into a place in the area so that I could work on it. When I'm done simply release it back for someone else to use.

And the idea to use it for training and level-up testing would be invaluable. Those areas would be able to be reset with roads, problems, and all to assign to someone for training or testing. I'd sure love to see it.
CTGreybeard
Send a message

Post by iainhouse
A possible alternative to do your own "playing", although it wouldn't allow collaboration: try logging into the INTL server?

You'd have no AM areas, but you could edit in a driven area and create a test setup for something.

I once thought this might make a good AM "qualification" test. Give the prospective applicant AM privileges for their area in the wrong server then tell them "fill that in".
iainhouse
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps
Answers: 1
Send a message
https://storage.googleapis.com/wazeoped ... c4/AGC.pnghttps://sign.waze.tools/s2000.pnghttps://sign.waze.tools/c6.png
My scripts: WME FixUI WME Presets :ugeek:
I want to go to a commune in Vermont and deal with no unit of time shorter than a season

Post by jondrush
My idea for a play area would be something that could be downloaded local to the user. That way it always starts the same and could be discarded quickly. If we were clever, it could also be used as a skills test for editor who want to upgrade their status.
jondrush
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps
Send a message

Post by Riamus
The only problem I see with a specific "play" area on the live map is that you'd need a very large area to accommodate the hundreds or thousands of editors who will want to use it. Otherwise, everyone will just be overwriting one another. I don't see that being valid on the live server. Even txemt's nice play area really shouldn't be on the live server. I like how it's set up, but it's still not live data.

What I think would be a great option, but one we will likely never see, would be to have editing privileges on the moon. Yes, that's right. The moon. No one will be driving there anytime soon and we have aerial-style maps available that could be used. It would be a great sandbox area for editing and trying out different things and allow for a very large area to play in. It could easily accommodate all editors. We don't even need the entire moon. Maybe pick a 1000 square mile area to use. I would enjoy using the moon as a sandbox to test things and it could very easily be used as a testbed for new editors. Create a secondary sandbox specifically for that which can be reset to a specific set of "problem" roads whenever needed and then have new editors show that they know what they are doing. Perhaps just use that for AM applications if we don't care about checking to see if new editors know what they are doing. I think it would be unique and fun. :)
Riamus
Send a message
https://www.waze.com/wiki/images/5/5a/W ... M_only.png
Previously Area Manager: Michigan - Northern LP.
Waze running on Samsung Galaxy S21+.

Post by Riamus
Well, the purpose is for testing streets that you're adding. You don't need to have any aerial that shows streets or buildings or trees for that to work. An aerial could be useful, but isn't usually needed. Take a look at txemt's playground. He's doing it in the middle of "nowhere". It would really be the same as if you did it on the moon. The point really is just to have a sandbox that is NOT a live server that we can test it on. This can be just a sandbox of the planet that mirrors the real server if we wanted. I just threw out the moon idea just because I think it would be interesting. Whatever is done, it needs to be a sandbox format where it does not in any way affect the live data while still allowing people to be logged in and save their work so it can be discussed with and shown to others.

The tiles are what you sometimes see when you get those pinkish squares when there is trouble loading tiles. I'm not good estimating distances, but you're probably looking at between 1/4 mile to a mile square.
Riamus
Send a message
https://www.waze.com/wiki/images/5/5a/W ... M_only.png
Previously Area Manager: Michigan - Northern LP.
Waze running on Samsung Galaxy S21+.

Post by txemt
I have my own play area in West Texas.
txemt
Send a message
Just wazeting my time to help you waze your route smoothly.

Post by txemt
So....what's stopping you from getting AM status for my playground? I don't bite, or throw sand. :)
txemt
Send a message
Just wazeting my time to help you waze your route smoothly.