You MUST read the "[Guidelines] How to request and search for new features" before posting here.

If you think you've found a BUG, use the appropriate WME version release thread found in the Waze Map Editor forum (parent of this forum).

Forum rules
You MUST read the "[Guidelines] How to request and search for new features" before posting here.

If you think you've found a BUG, use the appropriate "Official Feedback" thread found in the Waze Map Editor forum (parent of this forum).

Features to improve traffic flow through junctions

Post by Danie2
An issue I see is being directed along a street to attempt to turn into a busy road (across the traffic). Waze mapping does not differentiate between a difficult crossing (waiting for both directions to have gaps in the traffic) during high traffic usage, versus crossing quicker at a traffic lights controlled intersection.
One idea is some form of prioritising roads approaching an intersection so an approach to an uncontrolled intersection WHEN the traffic must be crossed, gets a lower priority than a controlled intersection (traffic lights or 4-way stop).
Or should we raise the priority (level) of roads that approach a controlled intersection? Would Waze prefer to route via these roads versus smaller roads with uncontrolled intersections.
None of the roads I'm describing are actual highways at all. They are minor streets and more major streets.
Generally also roads with lots of stop streets (not recorded on Waze) and intersections should receive lower routing priority than other roads.
Danie2

POSTER_ID:366151

Send a message

Post by AlanOfTheBerg
It's all about the math. If Waze doesn't have the data about that specific time of day taking longer transit the segments in question, then if no one takes it, it won't know. Just having 1 side of the data isn't enough.
AlanOfTheBerg
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps
Send a message
Wiki Resources: Map Editing Manual | alanoftheberg@gmail.com
Oregon-based US Ex-Global Champ Editor | iPhone13Pro - VZ

Post by AndyPoms
Most of the Waze speed data is stored in 10-15 minute chunks (i.e. the speed/turn data used at 9:03am is not the same data used at 1:42pm).
AndyPoms
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps
Send a message
https://www.waze.com/wiki/images/f/ff/W ... 00k_6c.png
Waze Champ & Forum Moderator
USA Country Manager
Senior Area Manager: State of Connecticut
Wiki: Editing | Best Practices | FAQ

Post by Danie2
I have been repeatedly taking the slightly longer route in early morning peak traffic, but Waze keeps pointing me down a specific road which I know will take long to try cross. The shorter route option would definatly use this same road. Just wondering if there is a way to "nudge" the priorities a bit. In the middle of the day with low traffic, that route with the crossing would probably be fine.

But maybe I should try taking the suggested route and sit and wait a while, maybe Waze will then learn from it. I'm willing to try it. Thanks guys.
Danie2
Send a message

Post by Danie2
And it seems now that this functionality has made it to Waze. Very nice. We just need it to roll out worldwide now.
Danie2
Send a message

Post by jemay
Danie2 wrote:But maybe I should try taking the suggested route and sit and wait a while, maybe Waze will then learn from it. I'm willing to try it. Thanks guys.
Yes if you do the route, then Waze will have data for that time period as stated by Andy. You might have to do it a few times... But once Waze recognize that turn takes longer then it might change the route, but remember it is all math.
jemay
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps
Send a message
:arrow: PLEASE READ: Wiki Resources: FAQ|Best Practices|Editing issues?
Global Champ | Assistant Regional Coordinator for US South West - CA,NV,UT,AZ,NM,CO,HI | CM for US

Android & Carplay - Verizon

Post by Riamus
As Timbones said, Waze already calculates the fastest route (if you are using fastest instead of shortest). It uses the time it takes to make a turn when determining the fastest route, so this is already in place. That doesn't mean it will avoid making a turn in a location without a traffic light if it thinks that's faster.

Waze tracks time across a road as well as time going from one segment of road to another (such as at an intersection) for different times of the day. If it's very hard to get through at 5pm, but easy at 1am, Waze may route you differently. This assumes Waze has good speed data available. If no one using Waze has gone the route that is very slow at a certain time of day, Waze won't know it's slow. There are benefits and drawbacks to user generated speed data. The benefit is that when it is available, it's very accurate. The drawback is that if no one generates the data, Waze has nothing to go on and may route people the "wrong" way. In most cases, if you are willing to drive that slow way with Waze running a few times, then it should learn that it's very slow at that time of day and route through a faster route. That being said, it may still be the fastest route based on other people using Waze.
Riamus
Send a message
https://www.waze.com/wiki/images/5/5a/W ... M_only.png
Previously Area Manager: Michigan - Northern LP.
Waze running on Samsung Galaxy S21+.

Post by Riamus
It would be nice to be able to highlight a route in the live map or editor, choose a time, and get the actual speed or time for the route at that time of day (and day of week if that's being used) based on what Waze uses. That would make it very easy to see why you are routed a specific way. Right now, we only have speed data for the road segments themselves and not for the time changing between segments and we can't choose the time of day to see the speed at a certain time.

Oh well, if you want to get the routing correct, it is definitely good to drive the route Waze suggests as well as the route that you are sure are faster at the same time of day. With some data, it will route better. Just remember others are also generating data as well. It may support or contradict yours based on driving habits. And verify that the first route provided really does say it's faster. There's a known issue where the first route isn't always the fastest if you look at the times of the alternate routes.
Riamus
Send a message
https://www.waze.com/wiki/images/5/5a/W ... M_only.png
Previously Area Manager: Michigan - Northern LP.
Waze running on Samsung Galaxy S21+.

Post by t-bomb
How about a way to 'mark' an intersection in the editor to give it some negative weight over certain times of the day? this goes to Danie2's point, can we nudge the priority in the event Waze hasn't collected enough data (i.e. all the locals know it's a bad route so nobody bothers to go that way)?

You're probably thinking "add a restriction to the turn movement" but in a case where say Route A is the slow, difficult turn and Route B is normally better, but someone breaks Route B, it would be nice to be able to get routed to route A during rush hour if the normally best way is blocked/slow
t-bomb
Send a message
T-Bomb :geek:

Post by Timbones
Waze does learn the average time to turn at a junction for different times during the day, and will differentiate between left turns and right turns. It will, in theory, take this in to account when calculating the fastest route* to your destination. It may be a while before it has collected enough data to determine this, however.

*You can configure your client to give you shortest routes instead, which won't use this information.
Timbones
Coordinators
Coordinators
Answers: 2
Send a message
Timbones(6) • UK Coordinator • Forum Moderator • Closure Monitor
Scripts: WME Colour HighlightsWME Route TesterWME Geometries