Suggestion: Create public voting system on topics for debate

Request NEW features or CHANGES to existing features of the Waze Map Editor

If you think you've found a BUG, use the appropriate "Official Feedback" thread found in the Waze Map Editor forum (parent of this forum).

If you have a request for new or modified feature of the Waze Map Editor, use this forum.

Moderators: krankyd, Unholy

Forum rules
Request NEW features or CHANGES to existing features of the Waze Map Editor

If you think you've found a BUG, use the appropriate "Official Feedback" thread found in the Waze Map Editor forum (parent of this forum).

If you have a request for new or modified feature of the Waze Map Editor, use this forum.

Re: Suggestion: Create public voting system on topics for de

Postby Kuhlkatz » Sun Aug 25, 2013 12:35 pm

What is there to vote on on that topic that is not discussed in the Wiki, or that the answers from the Champs did not provide ?

Waze only currently supports a 'Private Car' vehicle type, so only roads that are usable by these or the average commuter should be connected to the road network.

If only emergency and other authorized vehicles can use certain roads, why have them in a routable state on the map for everyone?

The same holds true for any other non-drivable type. We know that Waze currently will route over them despite the non-drivable type classification, so they should not be connected anywhere to the current grid - period.

As far as I know, http://waze.uservoice.com is still the 'official' voting site for ideas. I have not seen anything to the contrary.

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk 2
Carel Cornelius
AM : Centurion & Sandton, ZA
CM & Coordinator, South Africa
Using HTC One, Stock ROM, Android 4.2.2
South African Wiki Waze Wiki Map Editing
Kuhlkatz
Beta tester
Beta tester

Postby Kuhlkatz » Sun Aug 25, 2013 12:55 pm

That would depend on the local rules defined in the wiki for your area.
The public voting system is already there that relates to the app and map editor.

The rest is open for discussion on the forum, and based on this, should any decisions be made, the Wiki should be updated to reflect this.
You can create topics to vote on on some forum areas too.

Most standards have already been discussed at length, and any amount of voting by people that do not have some background info, like the Champs do in some cases, is not going to make a difference, as they are not aware of some of the implications.
It's up to the Champs in some cases to provide a 'united front' and decide on compromises they can agree on.

Just my 2c.

Carel Cornelius
Kuhlkatz
Beta tester
Beta tester

Postby Kuhlkatz » Sun Aug 25, 2013 1:20 pm

MGODLEW wrote:Well perhaps then, on forum posts, give the capability for a Waze Champ to Flag or Highlight a post as the proposed solution & "standard" so that people going through posts with 19 pages can find a quick and concise answer to the issue/topic at hand so they know what to do.

That is indeed one of the major problems with doing it on the forum, but in most cases the original post would get updated to reflect the latest 'status' and all possibilities, and a specific topic will then be created for the 'vote'.

Waze is flexible in that it allows the local community to decide on standards and in some places this can be quick due to people actually participating, but in some cases there are just a few that discusses things, and it is much trickier to get a broad enough view between 3 or 4 people.

Carel Cornelius
Kuhlkatz
Beta tester
Beta tester

Suggestion: Create public voting system on topics for debate

Postby MGODLEW » Sun Aug 25, 2013 11:47 am

So, after going through a lot of posts (including some of my own) on the forums here there are a lot of mixed answers to some mapping problems. For example, There is a lot of confusion HERE: (Yes map these roads. No don't map these roads. Yes map these roads but.... No these roads should be deleted.) For the time being, I have not been mapping any new roads like this and have been disconnecting existing road like these from drivable roads until there is a proper Waze algorithm is implemented from routing onto these type of roads but anyways, I'm not sure how things go about becoming Waze's official stance on things but since Waze is a platform driven by its users, us Wazers should have a say in what becomes law and what doesn't. I feel like a public voting system should be in place to vote on topics for debate. Each forum post can have a field where the original poster can include a voting poll in their post to get a concise stance on what Majority of Wazers think on the topic. The poster can post the survey with the question/topic to be voted on with possible solutions and Waze Champs can contribute to solutions to be voted on. Then, the results can either be turned over to Waze (if thats what is required) or the Wiki can be updated accordingly on how to address said mapping issues. Maybe something like surverymonkey can be embedded along with a users post.
Rank 5 US Champ & Waze Mentor | PA Forum | PA Wiki | Waze FAQ | iPhone 5s: JB iOS 7.0.6 |
Area Managing: State of Pennsylvania
MGODLEW
US Waze Champs
US Waze Champs

Postby MGODLEW » Sun Aug 25, 2013 12:43 pm

Kuhlkatz wrote:What is there to vote on on that topic that is not discussed in the Wiki, or that the answers from the Champs did not provide ?

This post was not simply inferring ONLY to that post. It was just an example. If you need a different example then I would refer you to here: Wiki page suggestion: Landmarks Its a mess. However, there are plenty of topics on here where someone says they should do something but another says something different. There is often a lack of consistency, if you read through all the posts some have posted they map them, other posted they don't, other posted they shouldn't be mapped, so on and so forth. I feel like an actually voting system will help with determining a definite answer so a concise resolution can be given based upon the Waze community as a whole regarding said issue. http://waze.uservoice.com/ seems to be more for client suggestions, not for Map Editors.
Last edited by MGODLEW on Mon Aug 26, 2013 9:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Rank 5 US Champ & Waze Mentor | PA Forum | PA Wiki | Waze FAQ | iPhone 5s: JB iOS 7.0.6 |
MGODLEW
US Waze Champs
US Waze Champs

Postby MGODLEW » Sun Aug 25, 2013 1:03 pm

Ah, well that is much better answer. That makes sense, Thanks for you info. Well perhaps then, on forum posts, give the capability for a Waze Champ to Flag or Highlight a post as the proposed solution & "standard" so that people going through posts with 19 pages can find a quick and concise answer to the issue/topic at hand so they know what to do.
MGODLEW
US Waze Champs
US Waze Champs

Postby MGODLEW » Tue Aug 27, 2013 1:40 pm

There is actually a polling available on this forum as you can see Here. I would like to see that option made available to all posts though should a topic come up for debate.
MGODLEW
US Waze Champs
US Waze Champs

Postby Riamus » Tue Aug 27, 2013 12:09 pm

Ideally, the person who started the topic would edit the original post to include the final solution or even the proposals currently being discussed so that you don't need to wade through many pages and potentially be confused by a lot of back and forth debating that ends up being resolved later on in the thread. Unfortunately, this doesn't always happen. But once a final decision is made, it should be added to the Wiki and then that would show what is currently accepted practice.

Voting is nice, but in practice, I've seen it become fairly useless other than as a way to choose something like what features are most important to users. Trying to make policy changes using a poll just doesn't tend to work very well. For that, you really need discussion rather than someone voting for a specific item. In many cases, you might be leaning toward one option because of an issue that could be resolved and once resolved would make you change your vote. Without the actual discussion, that is less likely to come out. Too many people vote without providing actual reasoning behind the vote and without the reasoning, the vote just really isn't worth much. You can't find a working compromise without knowing the reasoning behind what people want. And a majority rules option is just a way to end up with a mess.
ImageImage
Area Manager: Michigan - Northern LP.
Waze running on Samsung Galaxy S3.
Riamus

Return to WME Feature Requests