Suggestion: Example of perfectly mapped area for reference

Request NEW features or CHANGES to existing features of the Waze Map Editor

If you think you've found a BUG, use the appropriate "Official Feedback" thread found in the Waze Map Editor forum (parent of this forum).

If you have a request for new or modified feature of the Waze Map Editor, use this forum.

Moderators: krankyd, Unholy

Forum rules
Request NEW features or CHANGES to existing features of the Waze Map Editor

If you think you've found a BUG, use the appropriate "Official Feedback" thread found in the Waze Map Editor forum (parent of this forum).

If you have a request for new or modified feature of the Waze Map Editor, use this forum.

Suggestion: Example of perfectly mapped area for reference

Postby MGODLEW » Mon Aug 26, 2013 3:04 pm

Not sure if this already exists or if this has been proposed before but I think it would be extremely helpful if a permalink could be provided to an area of the map that is 100% compliant with Waze standards & the Wiki for reference for map editors. This would be extremely useful for new editors who don't always read the entire wiki. At least this way they have something to visually reference so they can see directly on the map how things should be mapped. This would require assistance from Level 5 or 6. Have the said example area defined within a certain Area Managers highlighted zone. But ideally, the example would include freeways with on ramp and exit ramps, major & minor highways, primary streets ect. and a shopping mall with parking lot roads & proper landmark placement & labeling. (All would be locked at 5 or 6 of course). Not sure any area even exists that is perfectly mapped but ideally as close to perfect as possible would be acceptable. I know people shouldn't be editing without reading the Wiki first but people will still edit the map without doing so, at least if they have this to look at its better than not having any form of guidance at all. Plus, even with being a higher level, I myself would even find it useful on occasion to reference a perfectly mapped area as a guide if need be.
Rank 5 Waze Mentor | PA Forum | PA Wiki | Waze FAQ | iPhone 5s: JB iOS 7.0.6 |
Area Managing: State of Pennsylvania
MGODLEW
Waze Mentor
Waze Mentor

Re: Suggestion: Example of perfectly mapped area for referen

Postby Riamus » Tue Aug 27, 2013 11:59 am

It's a good idea, but one that I think needs to be part of the individual Wiki articles relating to the specific item instead of a single location. For one, any location that is correct could still potentially be changed and then it's not correct anymore. Nothing prevents someone from adding a new landmark in an area for example because you can't lock anything down other than what's already there. I'd rather see image examples of the items that are often done incorrectly attached to each related article. For example, any article explaining how to map a mall landmark should include a screenshot of how it should look when complete along with an explanation of the image - why something is done and why something isn't done. It may be necessary to provide multiple screenshots in some instances. If you're trying to show the correct way to do the ramps at a freeway junction, you'll probably want an individual screenshot of each segment with it highlighted so that you can see all turn restrictions and explain them.

Yes, that still requires that people look at the Wiki, but I think it's a better place for this. As I said, any area can be updated with new things because you can't lock that down and having a "perfect" area is likely to make certain people want to add stuff there "just because". Unless someone is going to verify the area daily, I think it can just create problems that way. Also, it is unlikely that you'll find a location that is 100% complete that has every kind of situation that you'd like to show unless it's a test bed area designed specifically for that.

I like the idea, but I think the Wiki is the place for it and I think that static screenshots are going to be better. Besides, a static screenshot method allows you to use multiple shots to show step-by-step how to do something rather than trying to explain it on the editor when you can't show the person exactly what you're talking about.
ImageImage
Area Manager: Michigan - Northern LP.
Waze running on Samsung Galaxy S3.
Riamus

Return to WME Feature Requests