Adding Ferry Routes

Request NEW features or CHANGES to existing features of the Waze Map Editor

If you think you've found a BUG, use the appropriate "Official Feedback" thread found in the Waze Map Editor forum (parent of this forum).

If you have a request for new or modified feature of the Waze Map Editor, use this forum.

Moderators: krankyd, Unholy

Forum rules
Request NEW features or CHANGES to existing features of the Waze Map Editor

If you think you've found a BUG, use the appropriate "Official Feedback" thread found in the Waze Map Editor forum (parent of this forum).

If you have a request for new or modified feature of the Waze Map Editor, use this forum.

Re: Adding Ferry Routes

Postby AlanOfTheBerg » Thu Sep 05, 2013 9:50 pm

We already have state routes which use ferries in the US and they appear to work fine. With time-based restrictions coming soon, we'll have the granular control necessary to not use the ferry when it is not in operation.
Wiki Resources: Map Editing Manual | Oregon Project/To-Do List
Oregon-based US Country Manager | iPhone5 - VZ - iOS 7.0.6 | Waze v3.7.9.992
AlanOfTheBerg
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs

Postby AlanOfTheBerg » Wed Sep 25, 2013 6:06 pm

DBarbarian wrote:Could you elaborate a bit on having "routes which use ferries". Are those ferry routes added as normal streets or a particular type of street?

It depends on the road classification and usage. How about a picture? :) https://www.waze.com/editor/?zoom=3&lat ... -122.36314 shows ferries which are part of a state route, so Minor Hwy.
Wiki Resources: Map Editing Manual | Oregon Project/To-Do List
Oregon-based US Country Manager | iPhone5 - VZ - iOS 7.0.6 | Waze v3.7.9.992
AlanOfTheBerg
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs

Postby DBarbarian » Wed Sep 25, 2013 5:51 pm

AlanOfTheBerg wrote:We already have state routes which use ferries in the US and they appear to work fine. With time-based restrictions coming soon, we'll have the granular control necessary to not use the ferry when it is not in operation.

Could you elaborate a bit on having "routes which use ferries". Are those ferry routes added as normal streets or a particular type of street?
DBarbarian

Postby dknight212 » Sat Aug 31, 2013 6:01 pm

xapie128 wrote:I see notes on the Live map for road breaks, asking me to connect them if necessary. When I zoom in, I see that they are local ferry routes across rivers. If I add a "road" the editor doesn't have "Ferry Route" as on option, only things like "street," "dirt road," or "parking lot."

Is there a way to connect two roads via a ferry route? If not, consider adding that to the editor. It can save many miles if the router can use them. But also add a check box on the app for "Avoid ferry routes" so if people who don't want to be routed across a ferry can avoid them (just like the "Avoid toll road" option).

It would also be nice to be able to have ferry routes show notes for times, since most of them around me don't run 24x7, but either on a time schedule (e.g. 7:00 AM to 5:30 PM) or only daylight hours.

We have a discussion about this in the UK from time to time. A ferry route would be a useful addition provided, as you say, you can use them like toll roads. We also distinguished two separate cases depending on whether you need to pre-book tickets or not. Clearly, there would be little point turning up at a ferry only to find you needed to pre-book.
David (not Dave!) Knight • Samsung Galaxy Note 2 (CM10.1.3) • Ubuntu (latest)
UK Country AdminArea Manager for London
UK links: UK WikiUK ForumWaze UK on FacebookBecome a UK Area Manager
dknight212
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs

Adding Ferry Routes

Postby xapie128 » Sat Aug 31, 2013 4:41 pm

I see notes on the Live map for road breaks, asking me to connect them if necessary. When I zoom in, I see that they are local ferry routes across rivers. If I add a "road" the editor doesn't have "Ferry Route" as on option, only things like "street," "dirt road," or "parking lot."

Is there a way to connect two roads via a ferry route? If not, consider adding that to the editor. It can save many miles if the router can use them. But also add a check box on the app for "Avoid ferry routes" so if people who don't want to be routed across a ferry can avoid them (just like the "Avoid toll road" option).

It would also be nice to be able to have ferry routes show notes for times, since most of them around me don't run 24x7, but either on a time schedule (e.g. 7:00 AM to 5:30 PM) or only daylight hours.
xapie128

Postby xapie128 » Sat Aug 31, 2013 6:46 pm

Good point. I didn't think about booking, since all of them near me (very short routes across small rivers) are free, just show up and ride. ("free" but we pay for them with taxes :) )
xapie128

Return to WME Feature Requests