You MUST read the "[Guidelines] How to request and search for new features" before posting here.

If you think you've found a BUG, use the appropriate WME version release thread found in the Waze Map Editor forum (parent of this forum).

Forum rules
You MUST read the "[Guidelines] How to request and search for new features" before posting here.

If you think you've found a BUG, use the appropriate "Official Feedback" thread found in the Waze Map Editor forum (parent of this forum).

Adding Ferry Routes

Post by Xapie128
I see notes on the Live map for road breaks, asking me to connect them if necessary. When I zoom in, I see that they are local ferry routes across rivers. If I add a "road" the editor doesn't have "Ferry Route" as on option, only things like "street," "dirt road," or "parking lot."

Is there a way to connect two roads via a ferry route? If not, consider adding that to the editor. It can save many miles if the router can use them. But also add a check box on the app for "Avoid ferry routes" so if people who don't want to be routed across a ferry can avoid them (just like the "Avoid toll road" option).

It would also be nice to be able to have ferry routes show notes for times, since most of them around me don't run 24x7, but either on a time schedule (e.g. 7:00 AM to 5:30 PM) or only daylight hours.
Xapie128

POSTER_ID:16790185

Send a message

Post by AlanOfTheBerg
We already have state routes which use ferries in the US and they appear to work fine. With time-based restrictions coming soon, we'll have the granular control necessary to not use the ferry when it is not in operation.
AlanOfTheBerg
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps
Send a message
Wiki Resources: Map Editing Manual | alanoftheberg@gmail.com
Oregon-based US Ex-Global Champ Editor | iPhone13Pro - VZ

Post by AlanOfTheBerg
DBarbarian wrote:Could you elaborate a bit on having "routes which use ferries". Are those ferry routes added as normal streets or a particular type of street?
It depends on the road classification and usage. How about a picture? :) https://www.waze.com/editor/?zoom=3&lat ... -122.36314 shows ferries which are part of a state route, so Minor Hwy.
AlanOfTheBerg
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps
Send a message
Wiki Resources: Map Editing Manual | alanoftheberg@gmail.com
Oregon-based US Ex-Global Champ Editor | iPhone13Pro - VZ

Post by DBarbarian
AlanOfTheBerg wrote:We already have state routes which use ferries in the US and they appear to work fine. With time-based restrictions coming soon, we'll have the granular control necessary to not use the ferry when it is not in operation.
Could you elaborate a bit on having "routes which use ferries". Are those ferry routes added as normal streets or a particular type of street?
DBarbarian
Send a message

Post by dknight212
xapie128 wrote:I see notes on the Live map for road breaks, asking me to connect them if necessary. When I zoom in, I see that they are local ferry routes across rivers. If I add a "road" the editor doesn't have "Ferry Route" as on option, only things like "street," "dirt road," or "parking lot."

Is there a way to connect two roads via a ferry route? If not, consider adding that to the editor. It can save many miles if the router can use them. But also add a check box on the app for "Avoid ferry routes" so if people who don't want to be routed across a ferry can avoid them (just like the "Avoid toll road" option).

It would also be nice to be able to have ferry routes show notes for times, since most of them around me don't run 24x7, but either on a time schedule (e.g. 7:00 AM to 5:30 PM) or only daylight hours.
We have a discussion about this in the UK from time to time. A ferry route would be a useful addition provided, as you say, you can use them like toll roads. We also distinguished two separate cases depending on whether you need to pre-book tickets or not. Clearly, there would be little point turning up at a ferry only to find you needed to pre-book.
dknight212
Send a message

Post by Xapie128
Good point. I didn't think about booking, since all of them near me (very short routes across small rivers) are free, just show up and ride. ("free" but we pay for them with taxes :) )
Xapie128
Send a message