Suggestion: Show avg. traffic by time/day for routes

Request NEW features or CHANGES to existing features of the Waze Map Editor

If you think you've found a BUG, use the appropriate "Official Feedback" thread found in the Waze Map Editor forum (parent of this forum).

If you have a request for new or modified feature of the Waze Map Editor, use this forum.

Moderators: krankyd, Unholy

Forum rules
Request NEW features or CHANGES to existing features of the Waze Map Editor

If you think you've found a BUG, use the appropriate "Official Feedback" thread found in the Waze Map Editor forum (parent of this forum).

If you have a request for new or modified feature of the Waze Map Editor, use this forum.

Re: Suggestion: Show avg. traffic by time/day for routes

Postby AlanOfTheBerg » Wed Sep 11, 2013 3:32 am

Doesn't the fact that the purpose of Waze is to suggest the fastest route based on time of day automatically kinda make this request moot? That's really the whole point of the app, to do the work for you.
Wiki Resources: Map Editing Manual | Oregon Project/To-Do List
Oregon-based US Country Manager | iPhone5 - VZ - iOS 7.0.6 | Waze v3.7.9.992
AlanOfTheBerg
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs

Postby AlanOfTheBerg » Wed Sep 11, 2013 9:15 pm

Unfortunately, only Android has the widget feature which will show you home/work commute time graph throughout the day. Not sure if iOS will ever get that. :(

In the future, this kind of feature may be available. It does take a lot of data to mine and present cohesively to the user. It also would need to be expanded to any destination. Pretty limited right now.

The basics are behind the scenes already. A new livemap will have a feature similar to what you are asking. It doesn't allow you to see directly the best (fastest) travel time throughout the day, but it's similar and does show that the data is there.

I also think this is a valid feature request, and one which Waze is probably quietly preparing to figure out how to mock up and develop.
Wiki Resources: Map Editing Manual | Oregon Project/To-Do List
Oregon-based US Country Manager | iPhone5 - VZ - iOS 7.0.6 | Waze v3.7.9.992
AlanOfTheBerg
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs

Postby petervdveen » Tue Sep 10, 2013 7:21 am

If you have android you have the widget which could be used.
And the new livemap (in development) has such a function.
Coördinator BeNeLux
- Nederland Belgium Lëtzebuerg
ImageImageImageImage

peter@wazenederland.nl peter@wazebelgium.be
petervdveen
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs

Suggestion: Show avg. traffic by time/day for routes

Postby Slofiend » Tue Sep 10, 2013 2:24 am

I have often input a destination and looked at suggested routes at various times during the day/week in an effort to determine which route is best.

But I think it would be helpful if I could see that, a particular route is least used (or has the lowest amount of traffic) say between 11:30a and 12:20p, or may more realistically be the case on major freeways, 11p-4a, but either way.

The idea is, I want to travel a long distance, but can choose when I do so, I would like to be able to input a route and have the high traffic congestion times noted so I can opt to drive the route during a time of little to no congestion.

We always talk about how long it takes to get somewhere "without traffic", and I think Waze has the data necessary to help people determine/find when those times are.

I did a search for this idea, but due to a high volume of similar words did not find anything (or searched wrong) so I apologize if this suggestion has already been made.

Thanks

Luke
Slofiend

Postby Slofiend » Wed Sep 11, 2013 9:02 pm

Yes, Waze does suggest the fastest route, at the moment you search for it.

However, what if I want to find the best time to take a route that will allow me to travel it the fastest. This is simply an extension of what Waze already does but adds a functionality not currently supported/possible.

In addition to searching for the best and fastest route, why not allow users to, after finding the "best" route, also see what times are "best" to take that route with the lowest percentage of traffic?

I don't think this request is moot, I think this is a valid feature request.
Slofiend

Return to WME Feature Requests