You MUST read the "[Guidelines] How to request and search for new features" before posting here.

If you think you've found a BUG, use the appropriate WME version release thread found in the Waze Map Editor forum (parent of this forum).

Forum rules
You MUST read the "[Guidelines] How to request and search for new features" before posting here.

If you think you've found a BUG, use the appropriate "Official Feedback" thread found in the Waze Map Editor forum (parent of this forum).

Different Way of Handling Parking Lot Roads

Post by Thortok2000
The main reason we don't like using too many parking lot roads is that they clutter up the map.

However, as an actual client in an unfamiliar parking lot, especially big ones, I can get very turned around. The way parking lot roads display in the client is exactly the same as roads, and the gps struggling to 'snap to' whatever's closest can get me even more confused, because I'm often snapped to a road that's at a 90 degree angle to me and don't realize it.

I've noticed, as a client, that getting into and out of parking lots that actually have the lanes mapped (which is against the standard policy, I know), is much easier to figure out where I am and which way I want to go. As soon as I pull out of the space, I snap to the lane I'm in, and the directions are either correct or they're for the opposite direction of travel in which case moving forward a few feet will recalculate the route really quickly.

However, I agree, they clutter up both the WME and the client.

So I was thinking of devaluing the display of parking lot roads even further than they already do. I notice that incomplete, red roads, are really thin lines. Perhaps using the same type of line (but white once state/country data is added) would work within WME.

Within the client, if possible, it could ignore and simply not display parking lot roads unless they are on your route. Parking lot roads that aren't on your route would be invisible, client-side.

The long and short of it is, when routing into or out of a parking lot on your client, instead of a weird complicated map with either too many lines or not enough lines, you have one line...which is all you need to get in or out of the lot. In WME, it would be complicated of course, but if you make the lines thin and small and only visible at maximum zoom, it shouldn't clutter up the WME much either.

That reduces the clutter (visually at least), but keeps the functionality and usability. It also goes in line with something I read somewhere that the eventual goal of Waze is to map all driveable areas.

Parking lot landmarks could still be used in places like multi-level parking garages and stuff, or especially for paid parking lots, or named parking lots.

~

There is an alternate suggestion, though. Which is to, on client-side, ignore the 'snap to' effect when you're in an area marked as a parking lot in WME. But that's just another form of clutter, in my opinion, if we start labeling every single lot. It'll also cause a lot of conflict with other landmarks, as well as make it harder to find landmarks that aren't parking lots in general as they currently share the same color.
Thortok2000
Area Manager
Area Manager

POSTER_ID:16828110

Send a message

[img]https:///tdL1sG[/img][img]https:///ubk1Zx[/img]
Area Manager of Greenville, SC! ^_^

Post by Riamus
To start, we definitely don't want to landmark every lot, so the second suggestion isn't one we're likely to see.

Now, to your first suggestion. We know that Waze wants to eventually map every drivable area. That would include all parking lot lanes and may even include parking spaces, though I think the latter is going too far. Keep in mind that "eventually" could be years from now. Before that happens, they need to change how parking lot roads are displayed and that is something that's been suggested many times and I think is probably planned. Similar to what you said, the suggestion I always give is to show parking lot roads as center lines (you see a single line that would be in the center of the road/lane). That would be far less visible and should be fine even with every lane mapped. I also suggest that the visible distance for parking lot roads be reduced to whatever zoom level matches about 25mph so they don't show at all while driving most of the time, but will show up when you are driving slowly (you should be slow while in a parking lot). I'd also add that if you are ON a parking lot road and/or routing onto one within the next 1/4 mile or so, then it should show all parking lot roads regardless of speed. That will allow for cases where there is a main parking lot road through an area that has a higher speed limit and will also allow you to see the entrances to parking lots when you're getting close to a turn just in case you want to enter at a different entrance. We definitely want the parking lot roads to be visible at a certain zoom level because there are valid reasons to have them, especially in cases where you aren't in navigate mode.

And I don't know that many people care overly much about how it appears in the editor and we definitely don't want to limit access to those any more than they already are in the editor or we'll end up with people marking a parking lot road that is already marked, but can't be seen. That being said, I think there can be value in adding an option in the editor to not display parking lot roads (and optionally be able to choose what kinds of roads to display on a granular basis). This could possibly be done via plugin as well if Waze doesn't want to do it.
Riamus
Send a message
https://www.waze.com/wiki/images/5/5a/W ... M_only.png
Previously Area Manager: Michigan - Northern LP.
Waze running on Samsung Galaxy S21+.

Post by Thortok2000
Yeah, it would be handy to set the level of road you want to see regardless of zoom level.

You make a fair point that it doesn't really matter what it looks like in WME, and especially if you can filter them out to reduce clutter that'd be really handy.
Thortok2000
Area Manager
Area Manager
Send a message

[img]https:///tdL1sG[/img][img]https:///ubk1Zx[/img]
Area Manager of Greenville, SC! ^_^