Shape Boundary Improvements

Request NEW features or CHANGES to existing features of the Waze Map Editor

If you think you've found a BUG, use the appropriate "Official Feedback" thread found in the Waze Map Editor forum (parent of this forum).

If you have a request for new or modified feature of the Waze Map Editor, use this forum.

Moderators: krankyd, Unholy

Forum rules
Request NEW features or CHANGES to existing features of the Waze Map Editor

If you think you've found a BUG, use the appropriate "Official Feedback" thread found in the Waze Map Editor forum (parent of this forum).

If you have a request for new or modified feature of the Waze Map Editor, use this forum.

Re: Shape Boundary Improvements

Postby AndyPoms » Wed Oct 30, 2013 9:24 am

If you're in the US, you need to be familiar with the near-final USA Landmark Guidelines.

Landmarks are not POIs (which we've been told is a feature that is in the works) - most landmarks should include their parking lot(s) within one landmark.
Waze Champ & Forum Moderator
USA Country Manager
Senior Area Manager: State of Connecticut
Wiki: Editing | Best Practices | FAQ
AndyPoms
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs

Postby AndyPoms » Wed Oct 30, 2013 9:34 am

Thortok2000 wrote:Even with those guidelines though, there's still going to be occasions where cutout and add a shape are handy.
Please provide an example.
USA Country Manager
AndyPoms
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs

Postby AndyPoms » Wed Oct 30, 2013 11:56 pm

It appears that the water layer is on top of the landmark layer. Check out Silver Sands State Park in Milford, CT.

WME: https://www.waze.com/editor/?zoom=4&lat=41.19981&lon=-73.06741&layers=TBTTFFTTTTTTTFTTTTTTTTTTT&env=usa
LiveMap (zoom #1): https://www.waze.com/livemap?zoom=15&lat=41.20447&lon=-73.07286
LiveMap (zoom #2): https://www.waze.com/livemap?zoom=16&lat=41.20032&lon=-73.0682

Due to the bug with the water layer in the LiveMap you can actually see the water layer disappear and see the landmark shape UNDER the water layer when you zoom in and out.
USA Country Manager
AndyPoms
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs

Postby AndyPoms » Thu Oct 31, 2013 11:29 am

Riamus wrote:That's great news. I won't have to follow the water line when creating state parks. I never thought to test that theory.
My example is by no way conclusive proof, it's just one example. TEST it and check your work in both the App & the Livemap before you do everything.
USA Country Manager
AndyPoms
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs

Postby jondrush » Wed Oct 30, 2013 11:29 pm

I like to create a cut-out when there is a gas station in a mall. That's about the only use I can see for now.
Keeping the Waze maps tidy since 2009
Northeast Region Assistant Coordinator
jondrush User Page
ImageImage
jondrush
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs

Postby Riamus » Wed Oct 30, 2013 11:50 am

I'm not sure about the need for cutout except if the water layer isn't set higher than the landmark layer. If that's the case, we should work on getting the water layer raised above the landmark layer rather than worrying about adding a cutout layer.

As far as the other option, I do some some value there. For example, you often have two schools next to one another and not always with just a straight fence line to map to. If you could map one at the fence and then just use a straight line on the next that overlaps, Waze could automatically adjust the straight line to line up with the border on the other landmark. It would save a lot of work in those instances and would make it easy to have landmarks touching instead of having a small gap between them that may be wider at one end than at another. Then again, maybe the gap is worth having since there aren't any borders on the landmark polygons to distinguish one from another in the client or live map. I'd go for adding a border that is just slightly darker than the landmark so you can distinguish two different landmarks that are touching and then provide and option to "attach" one landmark to another using the same shape. It's not a big issue, but I do see value in that.
ImageImage
Area Manager: Michigan - Northern LP.
Waze running on Samsung Galaxy S3.
Riamus

Postby Riamus » Thu Oct 31, 2013 11:21 am

That's great news. I won't have to follow the water line when creating state parks. I never thought to test that theory.
ImageImage
Riamus

Postby Riamus » Thu Oct 31, 2013 11:51 am

Of course. :) I rarely have to add any where I edit, but I can test on two that I did add. And hopefully the Live Map bugs get worked out not just for this, but for the other issues with different zoom levels showing up differently.
ImageImage
Riamus

Shape Boundary Improvements

Postby Thortok2000 » Wed Oct 30, 2013 8:47 am

On Google Maps, when editing a boundary, they have two additional features I don't yet see in WME.

The first feature is the 'cutout' option. Since landmarks don't like to overlap in Waze, the 'cutout' is perfect for when one landmark surrounds another (for instance a parking lot surrounding something else.)

The second feature is the 'add another shape' option. This basically allows you to create a new boundary shape that is linked with the first one, so that you don't have to create a 2nd landmark with identical data. This works well for places that have multiple buildings and stuff (especially if those multiple buildings are surrounded by parking lots or other landmark types or are rather far away from each other.)
ImageImage
New job is taking up most of my time. =( Still occasionally poking around the Greenville, SC area.
Thortok2000

Postby Thortok2000 » Wed Oct 30, 2013 9:28 am

Even with those guidelines though, there's still going to be occasions where cutout and add a shape are handy.
ImageImage
New job is taking up most of my time. =( Still occasionally poking around the Greenville, SC area.
Thortok2000

Next

Return to WME Feature Requests