Are Reverse Connections Necessary?  Topic is solved

Request NEW features or CHANGES to existing features of the Waze Map Editor

If you think you've found a BUG, use the appropriate "Official Feedback" thread found in the Waze Map Editor forum (parent of this forum).

If you have a request for new or modified feature of the Waze Map Editor, use this forum.

Moderators: krankyd, Unholy

Forum rules
Request NEW features or CHANGES to existing features of the Waze Map Editor

If you think you've found a BUG, use the appropriate "Official Feedback" thread found in the Waze Map Editor forum (parent of this forum).

If you have a request for new or modified feature of the Waze Map Editor, use this forum.

Re: Are Reverse Connections Necessary?  Topic is solved

Postby AlanOfTheBerg » Mon Nov 11, 2013 6:08 pm

Dogshrink wrote:Also, on that matter, could someone write a script to go through all of them currently out there and just remove them? Unless... Is there ANY good use for them?

Can't think of any good use for them, no. We've asked Waze to update WME to automatically remove connections which go against segment directionality, but as with many things, this is not high on the priority list.
Wiki Resources: Map Editing Manual | Oregon Project/To-Do List
Oregon-based US Country Manager | iPhone5 - VZ - iOS 7.0.6 | Waze v3.7.9.992
AlanOfTheBerg
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs

Are Reverse Connections Necessary?

Postby Dogshrink » Mon Nov 11, 2013 2:08 pm

I finally got to drawing up a sample neighborhood to really understand what Rev-Cons are all about. In essence, a one-way street is really a bunch of restricted turns that point to not being able to enter from one side. If there is a normal one-way with all turns allowed, when that is turned into a one-way, it creates a bunch of rev-cons by the fact that all those restricted turns which would have simulated the one-way weren't first changed BEFORE creating the one-way.

Am I the only one who sees this as inane? Shouldn't the act of making a street one-way also include all these other normal restrictions. Why does this put the onus on us to make two sets of changes?

Simply put, in my mind, Reverse Connections are a BUG. Pure and simple. (Now I'm waiting to see if anyone calls them a FEATURE.) So, let's change the one-way code to automatically eliminate rev-cons, unless they are truly errors.

Also, on that matter, could someone write a script to go through all of them currently out there and just remove them? Unless... Is there ANY good use for them?
Jeff Cushner
South Whitehall, PA
Area Manager: Lehigh Valley, Hazleton area
(Ridding the world of unnecessary nodes)
Image Image
Dogshrink

Return to WME Feature Requests