Office Buildings and Malls

Request NEW features or CHANGES to existing features of the Waze Map Editor

If you think you've found a BUG, use the appropriate "Official Feedback" thread found in the Waze Map Editor forum (parent of this forum).

If you have a request for new or modified feature of the Waze Map Editor, use this forum.

Moderators: krankyd, Unholy

Forum rules
Request NEW features or CHANGES to existing features of the Waze Map Editor

If you think you've found a BUG, use the appropriate "Official Feedback" thread found in the Waze Map Editor forum (parent of this forum).

If you have a request for new or modified feature of the Waze Map Editor, use this forum.

Office Buildings and Malls

Postby GiancarloG » Thu Nov 14, 2013 2:11 pm

Hello,

I see in my country (and I'm sure the same thing happens elsewhere) that when editors want to place a landmark for a store in a mall or an office in an office building, they actually place tons of landmarks on top of a main one.

I think it would be nice to have the possibility of having a list of offices (like the add an alternate name for a street) to an office building as well as stores in a shopping center/mall and then direct wazers to the building name, rather than an approximate direction to the landmark, i.e. "turn right here, turn left here, you have arrived at ***** office in ***** building" or something like that.

Regards,
Giancarlo Giuliano
Area Manager Level 4
Quito - Ecuador
GiancarloG

Re: Office Buildings and Malls

Postby GiancarloG » Thu Nov 14, 2013 8:34 pm

I too agree that individual stores in a mall should not be mapped, hence my post.

However, I think that office buildings should be landmarked especially if they have a name (like Empire State Building, Chrysler Building, etc) and if that is the case, there should be an option in WME where you can add an office name to the actual landmark.

If we do that, why not apply that to a shopping center / mall in WME.
Giancarlo Giuliano
Area Manager Level 4
Quito - Ecuador
GiancarloG

Postby GiancarloG » Fri Nov 15, 2013 2:58 am

I see your point.

Obviously I am not talking about landmarking every office building in a city, but in my country, most office buildings are usually 15-story high. And what I find annoying is that editors landmark single businesses in those office buildings and it just gets messy in WME.

Although I don't think most editors would be able to keep them up to date, it might still be useful to be able to list those businesses when they are all in the same landmarked office building.

As for POIs, if Waze is working on that feature for future releases, it might solve this in the long run if wazers are able to edit them easily.

Thanks for your replies.
Giancarlo Giuliano
Area Manager Level 4
Quito - Ecuador
GiancarloG

Postby Riamus » Thu Nov 14, 2013 8:08 pm

Landmarks may be handled differently in your country, but in many places, office buildings should not be landmarked unless they are an actual landmark. Individual stores in a mall should also not be mapped in most places. Some editors don't know this and map them and it may be allowed in certain countries - check with your country's Wiki page or forum for details.

Waze will "soon" have a POI system and that is where these kinds of details belong. It will likely do what you want if mapped well.
ImageImage
Area Manager: Michigan - Northern LP.
Waze running on Samsung Galaxy S3.
Riamus

Postby Riamus » Thu Nov 14, 2013 8:43 pm

Yes, landmarks like the Empire State Building or Chrysler Building should be landmarked as those are important landmarks in the city. Most office buildings shouldn't be, however. Just about everyone has heard of those two so they are valid landmarks. If it's just a random office building that few people really know of, then it doesn't need to be landmarked even if it has a name. This is especially true if there is not a very visible sign that allows drivers who can't recognize it by how it looks to know what it is.

I'm not sure I understand what you mean about office names. For something like those two skyscrapers, you certainly can't put the hundreds of office names into Waze and have them be of very much use. If it's a single floor building, then marking the individual offices could be helpful, but that's still better left to POI. I suppose you could just list every office that is in the building to use for searching, but I'm not sure that's really worth doing. Something like that is likely to become outdated very quickly and not receive too many updates. How many editors are going to sit there and figure out which offices are still in a building with a hundred floors and which need to be changed? I know I wouldn't want to deal with that. And once it's outdated, it becomes mostly useless. This is true for the GPS POI systems that don't allow users to directly keep them current. I tried using the POIs in my old Garmin once and everything I tried to find wasn't there anymore. It was such a waste of time that I quickly stopped using the feature. Hopefully Waze will do better with keeping the POIs current by letting people edit them directly. But I just don't think enough editors would be willing to spend the time needed to keep large office buildings updated. Maybe they would; I don't know.

Malls are somewhat different because they receive a lot more traffic than office buildings, so are more likely to have people willing to update them. But that's still something I think the POI would work best for.
ImageImage
Riamus

Postby Riamus » Fri Nov 15, 2013 12:16 pm

Unless it's different in your country, individual offices in an office building should not be landmarked at all. If I were to see that in the US, I'd remove them. It's really not useful at all to try and landmark a multi-story building. If it was one like the Empire State Building, then a single landmark would be appropriate. But definitely not multiple landmarks.

As far as POIs, they should be just as easy to edit as landmarks. But I haven't seen them, so that may not be true. We'll see.
ImageImage
Riamus

Return to WME Feature Requests