Automatically allowed U-turns per jurisdiction

Request NEW features or CHANGES to existing features of the Waze Map Editor

If you think you've found a BUG, use the appropriate "Official Feedback" thread found in the Waze Map Editor forum (parent of this forum).

If you have a request for new or modified feature of the Waze Map Editor, use this forum.
Forum rules
Request NEW features or CHANGES to existing features of the Waze Map Editor

If you think you've found a BUG, use the appropriate "Official Feedback" thread found in the Waze Map Editor forum (parent of this forum).

If you have a request for new or modified feature of the Waze Map Editor, use this forum.

Re: Automatically allowed U-turns per jurisdiction

Postby AndyPoms » Fri Dec 20, 2013 4:52 pm

You also need to think along the terms of "Should Waze be giving this direction?". It makes sense for Waze to tell you to take a U-Turn at an intersection on a divided highway, but it really doesn't make sense for Waze to route you down a dead-end street just to make a U-Turn at the end of it to go back the way you came in.
Waze Champ & Forum Moderator
USA Country Manager
Senior Area Manager: State of Connecticut
Wiki: Editing | Best Practices | FAQ
AndyPoms
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs

Automatically allowed U-turns per jurisdiction

Postby klauskkinski » Mon Dec 16, 2013 3:22 am

Hi,

U-turns are legal on all roads in Ontario (Canada) unless specifically forbidden. The problem is that the map in Ontario by default forbids all U-turns. This default is reflected across the whole map unless somebody specifically allows it for every street end point. I was taken on a scenic route today because the app was not able to simply tell me to do a U-turn and it wasn't a simple task to get me to turn based on the street setup.

Could it be possible to allow to change the default setting on U-turns in a specific jurisdiction (i.e. a state or province)? Probably the area manager should do that or even a country / jurisdiction manager.

Klaus
klauskkinski

Postby klauskkinski » Sun Dec 22, 2013 1:10 pm

AndyPoms wrote:You also need to think along the terms of "Should Waze be giving this direction?". It makes sense for Waze to tell you to take a U-Turn at an intersection on a divided highway, but it really doesn't make sense for Waze to route you down a dead-end street just to make a U-Turn at the end of it to go back the way you came in.

U-turns are mostly useful when you miss a turn and waze needs to reroute you back to the destination. As said - last time I had to take a scenic tour of the downtown just because waze was unable to route me to the first crossing where U-turn is legal and get me back on track. As said - in jurisdictions where U-turns are legal by default, waze should also be able to use them. Unfortunately as somebody said before me - people don't think about U-turns when they edit maps.
klauskkinski

Postby KovuCougar » Fri Dec 20, 2013 3:30 pm

Washington is in a situation where U turns used to be "by permission only" (ie signs). A few years ago, they changed the law and now U-Turns are legal everywhere unless marked. The Washington state map is mostly un-reflective of U-Turn status in Washington state as a result.

This is an issue that is going to be a long time, if ever, fully fixed as most people don't think about U-Turns when making map edits...
KovuCougar

Postby MeridianHills » Mon Dec 16, 2013 8:44 pm

As far as I know, I have never seen that happen before..That would probably require a change or edit in the programming of the software that allows us Map Editors to edit.
Image Image

Meridian Hills, Indiana

Area Manager: Southeast Illinois & Chicagoland, Western/ Northern Kentucky, Western/Southwest Ohio, Southwest Michigan
MeridianHills
Map Raider
Map Raider

Postby slandrum » Mon Dec 23, 2013 7:39 am

People do think about U-turns.

Waze has some problems related to U-turns. The first is that there's no audio direction for U-turns, so if you are on a two-way segment, you won't get an audio command telling you take a U-turn. If you are on a divided road and the intersection is implemented as an H or #, then you'll get instruction to make a left, followed immediately by instruction to make another left. If the intersection is implemented as a bowtie, the instruction will be a single instruction to make a left turn.

The other problem is with the navigation engine. If U-turns are allowed, Waze tends to get very little data about people making the U-turn, so the segments have invalid speed data. This causes Waze to frequently inappropriately route down a street to make a U-turn and come back to the intersection thinking that this will be faster than going straight through the intersection. This is prevented by generally disabling U-turns except where they are actually necessary for navigation (and will therefore probably get valid speed data).
Orange County, CA, USA, Samsung Galaxy S3, Android 4.3 Image
slandrum

Return to WME Feature Requests