Drop an editor cone on the map.

Request NEW features or CHANGES to existing features of the Waze Map Editor

If you think you've found a BUG, use the appropriate "Official Feedback" thread found in the Waze Map Editor forum (parent of this forum).

If you have a request for new or modified feature of the Waze Map Editor, use this forum.

Moderators: krankyd, Unholy

Forum rules
Request NEW features or CHANGES to existing features of the Waze Map Editor

If you think you've found a BUG, use the appropriate "Official Feedback" thread found in the Waze Map Editor forum (parent of this forum).

If you have a request for new or modified feature of the Waze Map Editor, use this forum.

Drop an editor cone on the map.

Postby alexs001 » Thu Jan 09, 2014 4:06 am

I came up with this idea while replying to this thread: https://www.waze.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=76722

The idea is that in a construction zone or other area of contentious editing, instead of relying on the UR conversation feature as a place to discuss edits, we could drop a marker on the map which then links to a thread in the forums where the edits can be discussed. This would centralize discussion, and prevent all the information from being lost if someone closes the UR.

•Saving a cone to the map automatically creates a forum thread.
•The first post in the thread automatically contains a permalink to the cone.
•Cones are only visible in WME, not the client or LiveMap.
•Cones have properties much like other landmarks and can be locked.

Interested in hearing feedback.
Area Manager: Kelowna, BC
alexs001

Re: Drop an editor cone on the map.

Postby alexs001 » Thu Jan 09, 2014 9:19 pm

AndyPoms wrote:Waze is already working on a "Notes" feature for the map.
Great. I think integration with the forum provides some interesting options and will encourage more people to get involved in the forums in general.
Area Manager: Kelowna, BC
alexs001

Postby AndyPoms » Thu Jan 09, 2014 11:17 am

Waze is already working on a "Notes" feature for the map.
Waze Champ & Forum Moderator
USA Country Manager
Senior Area Manager: State of Connecticut
Wiki: Editing | Best Practices | FAQ
AndyPoms
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs

Re: Drop an editor cone on the map

Postby AndyPoms » Tue Jan 14, 2014 11:15 am

dbraughlr wrote:The UR mechanism would work well for this. It just needs a problem type of "construction zone".
The UR process itself needs to be fixed so any UR of any type does not disappear for anyone who is following it.

I like the idea. But I think that the real problem should be addressed for all URs.

The "notes" system is different from the UR system - at least in the way Waze has described it.

Waze has also said that they are working on a way for URs to stay on the map for a period of time after they are closed - and there will be the ability for some users to re-open a closed UR (although that has not yet been defined - there has been talk of Rank X Editors and above, and the original reporter).
Waze Champ & Forum Moderator
USA Country Manager
Senior Area Manager: State of Connecticut
Wiki: Editing | Best Practices | FAQ
AndyPoms
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs

Re: Drop an editor cone on the map

Postby dbraughlr » Tue Jan 14, 2014 4:36 am

The UR mechanism would work well for this. It just needs a problem type of "construction zone".
The UR process itself needs to be fixed so any UR of any type does not disappear for anyone who is following it.

I like the idea. But I think that the real problem should be addressed for all URs.
ImageImageѬ
dbraughlr

Postby oshawapilot » Thu Jan 09, 2014 4:00 pm

As the author of the quoted thread, that's good news. The whole situation really irked me - but what if a similar situation to what was described in the quoted thread happens with a "comment" vs a UR? I hope that there are checks and balances are put in place to avoid similar situations where comments are closed prematurely or without warrant against the will of the person who put it in place to begin with for good reason...otherwise the same thing could/will happen as happened here.
Courtice, Ontario, Canada.
Commercial driver, equine enthusiast, pilot.
Senior Staff, DieselPlace.com
oshawapilot

Return to WME Feature Requests