Presently, there is a distinctive icon for U-turns. All other turn indicators (straight, keep left, turn left, turn sharp left, etc) use the same icon.
I propose that:
(1) the current straight arrow shaft be used only for "straight" junction angles for which no instruction is generated.
(2) a straight arrow shaft ending with a little tail feather be used for straight/continue
junction angles for which an instruction is generated.
(3) a wiggle to the left/right in the arrow shaft be used for keep left/right
(4) a ell to the left/right be used for turn left/right
(5) a hook to the left/right be used for sharp left/right
(6) the U-turn icons continue to be used for U-turn
indications as it is now.
This means making 36 new icons and expanding the logic in WME to determine which icon to use based on the junction angles and road name continuity. I think that the meaning of the icons will be fairly intuitive and will spare editors from having to figure out what the angle is to determine what turn instruction is given.