Add Continue Straight and Other Nav Instructions

Request NEW features or CHANGES to existing features of the Waze Map Editor

If you think you've found a BUG, use the appropriate "Official Feedback" thread found in the Waze Map Editor forum (parent of this forum).

If you have a request for new or modified feature of the Waze Map Editor, use this forum.

Moderator: Unholy

Forum rules
Request NEW features or CHANGES to existing features of the Waze Map Editor

If you think you've found a BUG, use the appropriate "Official Feedback" thread found in the Waze Map Editor forum (parent of this forum).

If you have a request for new or modified feature of the Waze Map Editor, use this forum.

Re: Add Continue Straight and Other Nav Instructions

Postby AlanOfTheBerg » Wed Jan 22, 2014 6:24 pm

Question is, do we have them work on this kind of feature prior to the junction box? The junction box would allow us to define these instructions.
Wiki Resources: Map Editing Manual | alanoftheberg@gmail.com
Oregon-based US Country Manager | iPhone6 - VZ - iOS 8.2 | Waze v3.9.4
AlanOfTheBerg
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs

Postby AlanOfTheBerg » Fri Feb 07, 2014 5:10 pm

jondrush wrote:Because there are hundreds of thousands of basic intersections where continue straight is the correct command. We shouldn't need to add a junction box to get that command.

Continue straight, for the most part, doesn't need to be said at all. Four-way junction of four segments and one changes names. No need for it. The logic to determine when to say it isn't totally straightforward. (pun intended)
Wiki Resources: Map Editing Manual | alanoftheberg@gmail.com
Oregon-based US Country Manager | iPhone6 - VZ - iOS 8.2 | Waze v3.9.4
AlanOfTheBerg
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs

Postby CBenson » Wed Jan 22, 2014 4:57 pm

Would a simple check box do? What element would the check box be associated with? I think you might need to identify both segments, the one you are leaving and the one you are entering and be able to indicate if going from one to the other then you should get a continue straight instruction.

I would also note that I didn't think any jurisdiction has both "Exit right" and "Exit left" instructions. Right hand drive jurisdictions have "Exit rights" and left hand drive jurisdictions have "Exit lefts." It would be nice to have ability to trigger both globally.
Regional Coordinator: Mid-Altantic, US
Verizon, Droid Turbo, Android 4.4.4, Waze 3.9.4.0
CBenson
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs

Postby jondrush » Fri Feb 07, 2014 4:25 pm

Because there are hundreds of thousands of basic intersections where continue straight is the correct command. We shouldn't need to add a junction box to get that command.
Keeping the Waze maps tidy since 2009
Northeast Region Assistant Coordinator
jondrush User Page
jondrush
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs

Postby jondrush » Fri Feb 07, 2014 5:22 pm

sketch wrote:
jondrush wrote:Because there are hundreds of thousands of basic intersections where continue straight is the correct command. We shouldn't need to add a junction box to get that command.

I can't think of any. Maybe a couple freeway entrances. Arguably any straight other-road --> ramp transition should get a "continue straight, at I-75 S" or whatever, but I don't know about anything other than that. Might be nice at the start of a long bridge.

Every single three-way intersection where the main road turns and the side road is straight on. That might not happen much in the Midwest, but there are literally hundreds of thousands in the east. We then need to hack the map to put a kink in the side road to get Waze to give anything resembling a correct instruction.
jondrush User Page
jondrush
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs

Postby jondrush » Fri Feb 07, 2014 10:10 pm

You got it. It should work even if the road types match.

Also this would be helpful in the rare cases that a road splits into three separate roads. Today we need to do two splits to make this work.
jondrush User Page
jondrush
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs

Add Continue Straight and Other Nav Instructions

Postby kentsmith9 » Wed Jan 22, 2014 4:41 pm

Ever since I started using Waze we have discussed the need for a Continue Straight or Continue on the Current Road instruction. I constantly hear about it as a future feature, but still it does not come to life.

I recently reviewed the open/pending features/bugs in Bugzilla and I cannot find anything like this feature. Now that does not mean it does not exist in the developers list of things to do, but I would like to create an entry with our recommendations. I am posting this thread to get community feedback on such a feature.

Here are my thoughts for what I will put in the Bugzilla report.

Continue Straight
1. When a junction is created, enable the ability for the editor to check a box that will force a navigation instruction for what would otherwise be the straight though route today.
1.1 "Continue on the current road" instruction if the road name does not change
1.2 "Continue straight" if the road name changes, but no change in driving angle is present to give an idea that the road has changed.

Only One Segment Possible for the Continuation
2. If a junction provides only a single exit from a segment and the road name changes, force a navigation instruction of any of the available turn or keep left/right instructions.
2.1 If the road name does not change and no other segment connects, then no instruction is required (as it works today).
2.2 If the road name does not change, but other segments are connected to the junction but are all disabled turns or not possible due to traffic flow directions, provide a navigation instruction to prevent confusion by the driver. They may not realize all the other turns are not possible and would benefit from a navigation instruction at that multi-segment junction.

Alternate Navigation Instructions
3. There are more complex intersections where a turn is not necessarily a hard right/left turn at 90 degrees. Today we have a "Keep right/left", "Turn right/left", "Exit right/left". We need additional turn instructions especially when an intersection has more than 4 roads intersecting, or they are not at right angles to each other or the incoming road. Check the street view from this segment to see an example https://www.waze.com/editor/?zoom=8&lat ... ts=5277714
3.1 Turn slight right/left - intersections with 22-67 degree turns from straight.
3.2 Turn hard right/left - intersections with 100+ degree turns from straight.
kentsmith9
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs

Postby kentsmith9 » Wed Jan 22, 2014 6:27 pm

CBenson wrote:Would a simple check box do? What element would the check box be associated with? I think you might need to identify both segments, the one you are leaving and the one you are entering and be able to indicate if going from one to the other then you should get a continue straight instruction.

I agree there is probably more in the details to spec out. At one point I was thinking about following something similar to Time-based turn restrictions. It is very related. Maybe there is a way to trigger off the turn arrows like we do today. Maybe it is the other side of the arrow. :mrgreen:

CBenson wrote:I would also note that I didn't think any jurisdiction has both "Exit right" and "Exit left" instructions. Right hand drive jurisdictions have "Exit rights" and left hand drive jurisdictions have "Exit lefts." It would be nice to have ability to trigger both globally.

Agreed. Restated in case someone did not follow completely. The US (in particular but not exclusively) generally has Exit Right roadways, but there are Exit Left examples in all states, so it would be good to have control of what is said.
kentsmith9
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs

Postby kentsmith9 » Fri Feb 07, 2014 5:13 pm

This is absolutely true. Maybe we should separate our request into two separate ones so that continue straight can be solved outside of junction boxes.

As for waiting on junction boxes for the other turn instruction control, I would feel better about waiting if we got some level of confidence it was actually in the works or maybe had a target release. I did not find it in Bugzilla, so added it from our Feature Request list just now. https://bugs.waze.com/show_bug.cgi?id=6382 (Vote if you have authority).

Maybe Brian can add more details to the Bugzilla for the community to see the proposal.
kentsmith9
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs

Postby kentsmith9 » Fri Feb 07, 2014 5:17 pm

Thinking about this more, I love the junction box/object, but as Jon mentioned I am not sure we want to have to add a whole junction object to every 3 way split just to control if you get Keep Left vs Turn Left vs Exit Left.

I still think we need someone to control or change the default settings in a standard junction.
kentsmith9
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs

Next

Return to WME Feature Requests