Add Continue Straight and Other Nav Instructions

You MUST read the "[Guidelines] How to request and search for new features" before posting here.

If you think you've found a BUG, use the appropriate "Official Feedback" thread found in the Waze Map Editor forum (parent of this forum).

Moderators: Unholy, bextein

Forum rules
You MUST read the "[Guidelines] How to request and search for new features" before posting here.

If you think you've found a BUG, use the appropriate "Official Feedback" thread found in the Waze Map Editor forum (parent of this forum).

Re: Add Continue Straight and Other Nav Instructions

Postby voludu2 » Tue Aug 09, 2016 6:15 pm

It would certainly be useful to have a way to override the default nav instruction Waze guesses using the rules of BC.

Some of the "BC whispering" we do to get reasonable commands despite the BC rules are kind of silly, and are often "corrected" by other editors, resulting, sometimes, in no voice command being given when a turn instruction is needed.

Adjusting turn angles to > 45 or < 45 with micro-doglegs, adding nonsense alt. names to segments, adding "fake stub roads to nowhere" These are nice little mental challenges, but perhaps not the best approach to building a sensible map.
voludu2
Map Editor - Level 5
Map Editor - Level 5

Postby thenewjerseyer » Fri Jul 22, 2016 4:42 pm

There are certainly instances where this would be useful!

Especially when an intersection includes a highway on ramp. As at the intersection the next direction given is the exit off the highway I'm entering.
thenewjerseyer

Postby arthurfsv » Tue Jun 07, 2016 12:37 am

I'm not sure, but for some cases mentioned here it looks like a multi lane feature is required :lol:

Anyway, there is a situation in my country that could be resolved with a similar feature. It would be like a text box to add an forward speech to the street name. Let's put some examples:

Example 1:

[ img ]

Above there is a bifurcation due to a physical division. It would be great if we had a text box to increase an instruction such as:

Road Name (for address purposes): Waze St.
Additional name (for instruction purposes): Left lane

TTS would speak "Keep left for Waze St. Left lane"

Although in the picture above you still get a "keep left/right", there are some situations where is even worse. Let me show another example:

Example 2: crossroads without "keep left/right" instruction

[ img ]

If someone is going to turn right, how will one know which lane to get? The one in the center or the lateral? So it would be one step ahead of other GPS that only use the road official name without mentioning which side to take.

Adding this feature would make this possible: "turn right to Waze St. central lane"
arthurfsv
Local Champ Mentor
Local Champ Mentor

Postby whatnt » Mon Dec 28, 2015 5:21 pm

CBenson wrote:Well, a Y would give that instruction.

Only if it is drawn that way in Waze.

CBenson wrote:From the aerial images it doesn't look like a Y. But if it does when driven and a keep right instruction would be appropriate, the map could be configured to give the keep right instruction.

It also should, considering signage. Other señiors have resisted changing it--and have even locked it higher to prevent change!--without saying why, so it was recommended that I bring this here.
whatnt
Master Raider
Master Raider

Postby CBenson » Mon Dec 28, 2015 5:07 pm

Well, a Y would give that instruction. From the aerial images it doesn't look like a Y. But if it does when driven and a keep right instruction would be appropriate, the map could be configured to give the keep right instruction.
CBenson
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs

Postby whatnt » Mon Dec 28, 2015 3:39 pm

CBenson wrote:Its not configured on the waze map as a Y. If it were, one would get a keep right instruction to El Camino Real.

I'm not talking about Waze

CBenson wrote:With some no-name segments you could also get a keep left to the Alameda. But I thought what was desired was a continue straight instruction.

No. The desire is to have some sort of notification that you'll be going to El Camino Real.
whatnt
Master Raider
Master Raider

Postby CBenson » Mon Dec 28, 2015 3:31 pm

Its not configured on the waze map as a Y. If it were, one would get a keep right instruction to El Camino Real. With some no-name segments you could also get a keep left to the Alameda. But I thought what was desired was a continue straight instruction.
CBenson
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs

Postby whatnt » Sun Dec 27, 2015 4:03 am

CBenson wrote:
whatnt wrote:• Example #1

After about a half of a mile, you reach an intersection where you see a green sign hanging below the arm of the traffic light with the street name "The Alameda" and a white arrow that is pointing perpendicularly to your left. The Alameda turns to the left at a traffic light. Waze did not give any sort of instruction.

You were last told to be on The Alameda. You were also told that the next road would be Lafayette St, and that it would be much further away from where you are now.

What should you do?

You should go straight. There are a large number of intersections where the road name changes when you go straight at an intersection. Thus, you should not expect that you will necessarily be turning from Alameda at your next turn. (The difference here is that there is a continuation of the name at the intersection. Given the name continuation, if we had a "continue" instruction I would agree that it would be useful here.)

But there's a problem with that: the intersection is a Y. Either you go to the left, or you go to the right. There is no straight.
whatnt
Master Raider
Master Raider

Postby Robert04101 » Sun Dec 27, 2015 3:38 am

I am also in the camp of editor who believe that more instructions at complex intersections is better than fewer. Drivers only get an instruction when there is not a BC (or when the route diverges from the BC), which may require some use of Wayfinders or other mild map-hacks. I've dealt with a similar situation as you describe at El Camino in the Deering neighborhood of Portland, Maine, at a messy 5-way interchange where following US-302 (the "main route") southward requires that the driver get into a left-hand turn lane.

I would really rather that we have an explicit mechanism to control messaging per route. JBs as currently implemented don't provide this granularity.
Robert04101
State Manager
State Manager

Postby whatnt » Tue Nov 24, 2015 1:39 am

CBenson wrote:Thus, you should not expect that you will necessarily be turning from Alameda at your next turn.

And that's exactly my point. No one expects to leave a road unless he is told. But you aren't told here. The Alameda turns to the left. A reasonable person would expect to do that unless he is told otherwise to go to the different road.

CBenson wrote:I guess there will always be differences of opinion, but why complain about one extra instruction? I don't see why the "keep left" would be undesirable.

I don't either--especially when having it would match the green sign. I'd like to see it returned.
whatnt
Master Raider
Master Raider

Next

Return to WME Feature Requests