Add Continue Straight and Other Nav Instructions

You MUST read the "[Guidelines] How to request and search for new features" before posting here.

If you think you've found a BUG, use the appropriate "Official Feedback" thread found in the Waze Map Editor forum (parent of this forum).

Moderators: Unholy, bextein

Forum rules
You MUST read the "[Guidelines] How to request and search for new features" before posting here.

If you think you've found a BUG, use the appropriate "Official Feedback" thread found in the Waze Map Editor forum (parent of this forum).

Re: Add Continue Straight and Other Nav Instructions

Postby whatnt » Mon Dec 28, 2015 5:21 pm

CBenson wrote:Well, a Y would give that instruction.

Only if it is drawn that way in Waze.

CBenson wrote:From the aerial images it doesn't look like a Y. But if it does when driven and a keep right instruction would be appropriate, the map could be configured to give the keep right instruction.

It also should, considering signage. Other señiors have resisted changing it--and have even locked it higher to prevent change!--without saying why, so it was recommended that I bring this here.
ImageImage
whatnt
Master Raider
Master Raider

Postby whatnt » Mon Dec 28, 2015 3:39 pm

CBenson wrote:Its not configured on the waze map as a Y. If it were, one would get a keep right instruction to El Camino Real.

I'm not talking about Waze

CBenson wrote:With some no-name segments you could also get a keep left to the Alameda. But I thought what was desired was a continue straight instruction.

No. The desire is to have some sort of notification that you'll be going to El Camino Real.
ImageImage
whatnt
Master Raider
Master Raider

Postby whatnt » Sun Dec 27, 2015 4:03 am

CBenson wrote:
whatnt wrote:• Example #1

After about a half of a mile, you reach an intersection where you see a green sign hanging below the arm of the traffic light with the street name "The Alameda" and a white arrow that is pointing perpendicularly to your left. The Alameda turns to the left at a traffic light. Waze did not give any sort of instruction.

You were last told to be on The Alameda. You were also told that the next road would be Lafayette St, and that it would be much further away from where you are now.

What should you do?

You should go straight. There are a large number of intersections where the road name changes when you go straight at an intersection. Thus, you should not expect that you will necessarily be turning from Alameda at your next turn. (The difference here is that there is a continuation of the name at the intersection. Given the name continuation, if we had a "continue" instruction I would agree that it would be useful here.)

But there's a problem with that: the intersection is a Y. Either you go to the left, or you go to the right. There is no straight.
ImageImage
whatnt
Master Raider
Master Raider

Postby whatnt » Tue Nov 24, 2015 1:39 am

CBenson wrote:Thus, you should not expect that you will necessarily be turning from Alameda at your next turn.

And that's exactly my point. No one expects to leave a road unless he is told. But you aren't told here. The Alameda turns to the left. A reasonable person would expect to do that unless he is told otherwise to go to the different road.

CBenson wrote:I guess there will always be differences of opinion, but why complain about one extra instruction? I don't see why the "keep left" would be undesirable.

I don't either--especially when having it would match the green sign. I'd like to see it returned.
ImageImage
whatnt
Master Raider
Master Raider

Postby whatnt » Sat Nov 21, 2015 4:13 pm

I have a couple of examples of where I think some sort of instruction is needed.
----------------------
• Example #1

The Alameda at El Camino Real

Ordinarily I would think an intersection like The Alameda at El Camino Real would not need an instruction. But this one has a twist.

Picture this scenario:

You're coming from the south on I-880 N with a destination somewhere on Lafayette St, and you have been instructed to exit The Alameda. When you're near the end of the ramp, Waze tells you:

Turn left onto The Alameda.
After leaving the ramp, and you have been driving on The Alameda, Waze gives you your next instruction:

In 1.2 miles, turn right onto Lafayette St.
So you drive along on The Alameda, expecting your next instruction to be something about Lafayette St. Now here's the twist.

After about a half of a mile, you reach an intersection where you see a green sign hanging below the arm of the traffic light with the street name "The Alameda" and a white arrow that is pointing perpendicularly to your left. The Alameda turns to the left at a traffic light. Waze did not give any sort of instruction.

You were last told to be on The Alameda. You were also told that the next road would be Lafayette St, and that it would be much further away from where you are now.

What should you do?

Here's the second example where some sort of instruction would be needed:
----------------------
• Example #2

Embarcadero Rd

Embarcadero Rd splits into two different roadways here: Part goes off to the right and ends into Alma St, part goes to the left and continues.

I have been told many times that we try to match the green signs.

There is a green sign on a lamp post just prior to this. The top half has an arrow pointing up and to the left with "Embarcadero Rd", the bottom has an arrow pointing up and to the right with "Alma St NORTH".

If you look closely, visibility is rather poor at that intersection. The main portion of Embarcadero not only curves to the left, it dips down and curves back to the right to pass beneath railroad tracks--all in the distance of about 200 feet. You cannot see this well from the intersection. Then add to that, Embarcadero is usually crowded with traffic of people who are continually jogging for the faster lane. Traffic moves rather quickly; the speed limit is 25 MPH, but the route speed script shows traffic speed is closer to 36.5 MPH. So drivers have very little opportunity to see which leg to take--left or right--then make a decision.

Waze gave "keep left" and "keep right" instructions here for nearly two years that I'm aware. But then one person complained rather outspokenly, so the map was changed to how you see it today.

I have been discussing Example #1 with kentsmith9. He suggested I bring these situations to an open forum so they can be discussed more widely across all states/countries.
ImageImage
whatnt
Master Raider
Master Raider

Postby voludu2 » Tue Aug 09, 2016 6:15 pm

It would certainly be useful to have a way to override the default nav instruction Waze guesses using the rules of BC.

Some of the "BC whispering" we do to get reasonable commands despite the BC rules are kind of silly, and are often "corrected" by other editors, resulting, sometimes, in no voice command being given when a turn instruction is needed.

Adjusting turn angles to > 45 or < 45 with micro-doglegs, adding nonsense alt. names to segments, adding "fake stub roads to nowhere" These are nice little mental challenges, but perhaps not the best approach to building a sensible map.

ImageUSA Northeast Region Discord Chat
State Manager - Pennsylvania
Country Manager - USA and Thailand
Wiki Master, Global Mentor
utilitas, simplicitas, retentionis
voludu2
Map Editor - Level 5
Map Editor - Level 5

Postby Timbones » Sat Feb 08, 2014 9:10 pm

mapcat wrote:
Timbones wrote:Furthermore, we'd really like to have a 'soft instruction' which is read out by TTS (once), but not shown on the display...

This is exactly the solution I'd prefer. A simple instruction that doesn't unnecessarily lengthen the navigation list, and an option to turn it off.

Another idea would be to have the 'keep going' briefly popup on the screen a mile from the junction, perhaps with a 'bing' sound instead of full TTS. When further away, you'd only see next real exit.
Timbones(6) • UK Coordinator • Forum Moderator • Global Wiki Moderator • Routing Expert
Extensions: WME Colour HighlightsWME Route TesterWME Geometries
Timbones
Coordinators
Coordinators

Postby Timbones » Fri Feb 07, 2014 5:00 pm

For UK Motorways (Freeways) we have many instances where we'd like to have 'keep right' to stay on the current road (left-hand drive), and have resorted to complicated hacks to make it happen (as per Highway Splits in the Wiki). We'd like to be able to force this instruction without mucking about with short segments and the like.

Furthermore, we'd really like to have a 'soft instruction' which is read out by TTS (once), but not shown on the display or in the route list. This is so that the driver can see how far it is to the real exit from the Motorway, but still get the occasional nag to move out of the lane which could exit them prematurely. Optionally, these 'soft instructions' can be turned off completely for those that would prefer not to hear them.

If this is something that the Junction Box will provide, then that would be great...
Timbones(6) • UK Coordinator • Forum Moderator • Global Wiki Moderator • Routing Expert
Extensions: WME Colour HighlightsWME Route TesterWME Geometries
Timbones
Coordinators
Coordinators

Postby thenewjerseyer » Fri Jul 22, 2016 4:42 pm

There are certainly instances where this would be useful!

Especially when an intersection includes a highway on ramp. As at the intersection the next direction given is the exit off the highway I'm entering.
thenewjerseyer

Postby slandrum » Fri Feb 07, 2014 5:58 pm

AlanOfTheBerg wrote:
jondrush wrote:Continue straight, for the most part, doesn't need to be said at all. Four-way junction of four segments and one changes names. No need for it. The logic to determine when to say it isn't totally straightforward. (pun intended)

I've run into situations where perhaps "Continue straight" isn't necessary, but "Stay in the left lane to continue straight" or "only the 3rd lane continues straight" would be very useful.

Other GPS solutions that I use are much better at guiding to the correct lane(s) in complicated situations. Waze on the other hand can be very confusing, and even when the routing is correct you can end up taking the wrong exit, or being forced into a turn because Waze's instructions weren't clear enough.
Orange County, CA, USA, Samsung Galaxy S3, Android 4.3 Image
slandrum

Next

Return to WME Feature Requests