Get a sneak peek at whats next for Permanent Hazards on our April 7th Office Hours!
You MUST read the "[Guidelines] How to request and search for new features" before posting here.

If you think you've found a BUG, use the appropriate WME version release thread found in the Waze Map Editor forum (parent of this forum).

Forum rules
You MUST read the "[Guidelines] How to request and search for new features" before posting here.

If you think you've found a BUG, use the appropriate "Official Feedback" thread found in the Waze Map Editor forum (parent of this forum).

Add Continue Straight and Other Nav Instructions

Post by
Ever since I started using Waze we have discussed the need for a Continue Straight or Continue on the Current Road instruction. I constantly hear about it as a future feature, but still it does not come to life.

I recently reviewed the open/pending features/bugs in Bugzilla and I cannot find anything like this feature. Now that does not mean it does not exist in the developers list of things to do, but I would like to create an entry with our recommendations. I am posting this thread to get community feedback on such a feature.

Here are my thoughts for what I will put in the Bugzilla report.

Continue Straight
1. When a junction is created, enable the ability for the editor to check a box that will force a navigation instruction for what would otherwise be the straight though route today.
1.1 "Continue on the current road" instruction if the road name does not change
1.2 "Continue straight" if the road name changes, but no change in driving angle is present to give an idea that the road has changed.

Only One Segment Possible for the Continuation
2. If a junction provides only a single exit from a segment and the road name changes, force a navigation instruction of any of the available turn or keep left/right instructions.
2.1 If the road name does not change and no other segment connects, then no instruction is required (as it works today).
2.2 If the road name does not change, but other segments are connected to the junction but are all disabled turns or not possible due to traffic flow directions, provide a navigation instruction to prevent confusion by the driver. They may not realize all the other turns are not possible and would benefit from a navigation instruction at that multi-segment junction.

Alternate Navigation Instructions
3. There are more complex intersections where a turn is not necessarily a hard right/left turn at 90 degrees. Today we have a "Keep right/left", "Turn right/left", "Exit right/left". We need additional turn instructions especially when an intersection has more than 4 roads intersecting, or they are not at right angles to each other or the incoming road. Check the street view from this segment to see an example https://www.waze.com/editor/?zoom=8&lat ... ts=5277714
3.1 Turn slight right/left - intersections with 22-67 degree turns from straight.
3.2 Turn hard right/left - intersections with 100+ degree turns from straight.

POSTER_ID:7009939

Send a message

Post by AlanOfTheBerg
Question is, do we have them work on this kind of feature prior to the junction box? The junction box would allow us to define these instructions.
AlanOfTheBerg
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps
Send a message
Wiki Resources: Map Editing Manual | alanoftheberg@gmail.com
Oregon-based US Ex-Global Champ Editor | iPhone13Pro - VZ

Post by AlanOfTheBerg
jondrush wrote:Because there are hundreds of thousands of basic intersections where continue straight is the correct command. We shouldn't need to add a junction box to get that command.
Continue straight, for the most part, doesn't need to be said at all. Four-way junction of four segments and one changes names. No need for it. The logic to determine when to say it isn't totally straightforward. (pun intended)
AlanOfTheBerg
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps
Send a message
Wiki Resources: Map Editing Manual | alanoftheberg@gmail.com
Oregon-based US Ex-Global Champ Editor | iPhone13Pro - VZ

Post by arthurfsv
I'm not sure, but for some cases mentioned here it looks like a multi lane feature is required :lol:

Anyway, there is a situation in my country that could be resolved with a similar feature. It would be like a text box to add an forward speech to the street name. Let's put some examples:

Example 1:

Above there is a bifurcation due to a physical division. It would be great if we had a text box to increase an instruction such as:

Road Name (for address purposes): Waze St.
Additional name (for instruction purposes): Left lane

TTS would speak "Keep left for Waze St. Left lane"

Although in the picture above you still get a "keep left/right", there are some situations where is even worse. Let me show another example:

Example 2: crossroads without "keep left/right" instruction

If someone is going to turn right, how will one know which lane to get? The one in the center or the lateral? So it would be one step ahead of other GPS that only use the road official name without mentioning which side to take.

Adding this feature would make this possible: "turn right to Waze St. central lane"
arthurfsv
Emeritus Local Champ
Emeritus Local Champ
Send a message
Arthur Fernando
AM - Belo Horizonte (Região oeste, centro e centro-sul)

É iniciante nas edições? Confira estes links básicos: manual, guia e práticas.

Quer melhorar a organização dos Places? Veja esta proposta

Post by CBenson
Would a simple check box do? What element would the check box be associated with? I think you might need to identify both segments, the one you are leaving and the one you are entering and be able to indicate if going from one to the other then you should get a continue straight instruction.

I would also note that I didn't think any jurisdiction has both "Exit right" and "Exit left" instructions. Right hand drive jurisdictions have "Exit rights" and left hand drive jurisdictions have "Exit lefts." It would be nice to have ability to trigger both globally.
CBenson
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps
Send a message
Regional Coordinator: Mid-Atlantic, US
Verizon, Nexus 6, Android 6.0.1, Waze 4.7.0.902

Post by CBenson
Kent, I do not.
whatnt wrote:• Example #1

After about a half of a mile, you reach an intersection where you see a green sign hanging below the arm of the traffic light with the street name "The Alameda" and a white arrow that is pointing perpendicularly to your left. The Alameda turns to the left at a traffic light. Waze did not give any sort of instruction.

You were last told to be on The Alameda. You were also told that the next road would be Lafayette St, and that it would be much further away from where you are now.

What should you do?
You should go straight. There are a large number of intersections where the road name changes when you go straight at an intersection. Thus, you should not expect that you will necessarily be turning from Alameda at your next turn. (The difference here is that there is a continuation of the name at the intersection. Given the name continuation, if we had a "continue" instruction I would agree that it would be useful here.)
whatnt wrote:• Example #2

Waze gave "keep left" and "keep right" instructions here for nearly two years that I'm aware. But then one person complained rather outspokenly, so the map was changed to how you see it today.
I guess there will always be differences of opinion, but why complain about one extra instruction? I don't see why the "keep left" would be undesirable.
CBenson
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps
Send a message

Post by CBenson
Its not configured on the waze map as a Y. If it were, one would get a keep right instruction to El Camino Real. With some no-name segments you could also get a keep left to the Alameda. But I thought what was desired was a continue straight instruction.
CBenson
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps
Send a message

Post by CBenson
Well, a Y would give that instruction. From the aerial images it doesn't look like a Y. But if it does when driven and a keep right instruction would be appropriate, the map could be configured to give the keep right instruction.
CBenson
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps
Send a message

Post by jondrush
Because there are hundreds of thousands of basic intersections where continue straight is the correct command. We shouldn't need to add a junction box to get that command.
jondrush
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps
Send a message

Post by jondrush
sketch wrote:
jondrush wrote:Because there are hundreds of thousands of basic intersections where continue straight is the correct command. We shouldn't need to add a junction box to get that command.
I can't think of any. Maybe a couple freeway entrances. Arguably any straight other-road --> ramp transition should get a "continue straight, at I-75 S" or whatever, but I don't know about anything other than that. Might be nice at the start of a long bridge.
Every single three-way intersection where the main road turns and the side road is straight on. That might not happen much in the Midwest, but there are literally hundreds of thousands in the east. We then need to hack the map to put a kink in the side road to get Waze to give anything resembling a correct instruction.
jondrush
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps
Send a message

Post by jondrush
You got it. It should work even if the road types match.

Also this would be helpful in the rare cases that a road splits into three separate roads. Today we need to do two splits to make this work.
jondrush
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps
Send a message