Get a sneak peek at whats next for Permanent Hazards on our April 7th Office Hours!
You MUST read the "[Guidelines] How to request and search for new features" before posting here.

If you think you've found a BUG, use the appropriate WME version release thread found in the Waze Map Editor forum (parent of this forum).

Forum rules
You MUST read the "[Guidelines] How to request and search for new features" before posting here.

If you think you've found a BUG, use the appropriate "Official Feedback" thread found in the Waze Map Editor forum (parent of this forum).

Feature Request: Prevent Saving Red Roads / Required Naming

Post by MGODLEW
Within the new map editor and new Places feature, if you add a "Place" to the map you can not save it unless you specify at least 1 category. I don't see why this feature can not be extended to when creating a new road, require the editor to enter AT LEAST the city name, with the exception of railroad roads, there is no reason any road should not have a city name tied to it, then require the editor to place a check box for "None" or enter the street name.

Slightly off the topic of red roads but similar in nature, the required naming should apply to Places as well. Every Place created has a name, if a Place is created with no name there becomes no benefit for the Waze community by not specifying a name for the place. The name of a place should be required in order to save a Place as well.
MGODLEW
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps

POSTER_ID:4659062

Send a message
I am best reached via Discord, give me an “@“

Post by AlanOfTheBerg
This has been brought up many times before. One of the main reasons some vets like to leave it as-is, is because it makes it quite easy to spot new editors making mistakes and we can reach out to them via PM or in chat if they are there. If we force this, yes, maybe the data will be better, but we may end up with lots of incorrect parking lot spam we can't see now because it all got saved properly.
AlanOfTheBerg
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps
Send a message
Wiki Resources: Map Editing Manual | alanoftheberg@gmail.com
Oregon-based US Ex-Global Champ Editor | iPhone13Pro - VZ

Post by jdeyoung
It's easy to think of how to prevent saving roads left "red" when we're thinking only of the WME aspect. As most web software is still based on some common logic with other parts of the software, paving roads is still creating roads - and not supplying any information. Trying to enforce saves requiring more information would effectively limit "paving". OK, well maybe in some cases limiting paving on a mature map might make sense anyways ;)
If leaving roads red gave no editing points - nor did mapping parking lots - we'd limit a new editor's desire to try and use meaningless and unhelpful edits - since they can't use these as stepping-stones to next levels.
jdeyoung
Answers: 2
Send a message

Post by MGODLEW
AlanOfTheBerg wrote:it makes it quite easy to spot new editors making mistakes and we can reach out to them via PM or in chat if they are there.
Hmm, Valid point. It really is a Win/Lose situation. Perhaps implementing a limit then on the number of roads a rank 1 can create withing a certain time frame/day? 10 or more roads in say 15 minutes? Generally speaking, in my experience editing on a daily basis I am not creating more than 10 roads per day so if a new editor is creating more than that they are likely not following the Wiki. Or how about highlight roads created by Rank 1 editors to be orange in the editor? They can remain this color until a Rank 2 or higher touches them? Or how about removing the ability to create a road in the editor from Rank 1, they will only be able to edit existing roads or pave roads via the client. Once rank 2 they could then start creating roads. Only draw back with that would be is there is still the possibility for Rank 2's to now start creating Red Roads..lol Additionally, a different spin off, how about disabling the parking lot road type for rank 1 editors, however the draw back with that is we would likely see parking lots mapped as streets and not parking lot roads. I'm at a loss for additional ideas at the moment.
MGODLEW
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps
Send a message

Post by MGODLEW
jdeyoung wrote:If leaving roads red gave no editing points - nor did mapping parking lots - we'd limit a new editor's desire to try and use meaningless and unhelpful edits - since they can't use these as stepping-stones to next levels.
Great idea as well!
MGODLEW
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps
Send a message