Feature request: Filter audio alerts

Request NEW features or CHANGES to existing features of the Waze App

If you think you've found a bug, use the appropriate "Official Feedback" thread found in the Waze App forum (parent of this forum).

If you have a request for new or modified feature of the Waze App, use this forum.

Moderators: krankyd, Unholy

Forum rules
Request NEW features or CHANGES to existing features of the Waze App

If you think you've found a bug, use the appropriate "Official Feedback" thread found in the Waze App forum (parent of this forum).

If you have a request for new or modified feature of the Waze App, use this forum.

Re: Feature request: Filter audio alerts

Postby AlanOfTheBerg » Thu Sep 26, 2013 2:19 am

notgreg wrote:If it does not show on the map, I assume you won't be alerted to it. Although not perfect, it's the closest thing I can think of.

Sorry, that's not correct. You can hide hazards and cameras, etc., but you still get alerts. The selection in the menu is VERY specific. "Show on Map" is ONLY what that controls.
Wiki Resources: Map Editing Manual | Oregon Project/To-Do List
Oregon-based US Country Manager | iPhone5 - VZ - iOS 7.0.6 | Waze v3.7.9.992
AlanOfTheBerg
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs

Postby AlanOfTheBerg » Sun Feb 23, 2014 1:06 am

If you're not paying attention to the shoulder then I hope I'm never changing my tire there as you swerve to avoid a large pothole. Vehicles fully in the shoulder certainly can be a significant hazard to the roadway.
Wiki Resources: Map Editing Manual | Oregon Project/To-Do List
Oregon-based US Country Manager | iPhone5 - VZ - iOS 7.0.6 | Waze v3.7.9.992
AlanOfTheBerg
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs

Postby alexs001 » Sat Jan 04, 2014 7:10 am

I'm in for this too. Of particular note for me are the red light cameras, especially when along a frequent route.
Area Manager: Kelowna, BC
alexs001

Postby amonath » Fri Jan 03, 2014 7:00 pm

I concur with the opinions of the previous posters.
I'd also would like to disable the audio alerts for car on shoulder (usually 5 each way on commute), Red light camera (they're EVERYWHERE), Most weather alerts except for specific hazards like unexpected reduced traction (ice on otherwise clear road).
amonath

Feature request: Filter audio alerts

Postby CookeCity » Mon Sep 23, 2013 1:07 am

After using waze for several months, one thing I'd like to see added is the ability to selectively disable certain categories of audio alerts. On major highways I get so many "vehicle on shoulder" reports and honestly on my route I'm not really interested in these reports, but I'd like to get everything else.

On some routes I'm sure this alert would be good to have, but I'd love to control when I get to hear them.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - now Free
CookeCity

Postby enjar » Wed Oct 30, 2013 3:46 pm

While the "vehicle stopped on shoulder" is by far the most egregious offender, the "weather" alert can also be annoying.

On a typical commute of ~20 miles in the Boston area, I'll get 8-10 "vehicle stopped on shoulder" warnings. They generally are out of date and the signal to noise ratio is very unfavorable. I've disabled their display on the map, but they still pop up. They interrupt whatever I'm listening to and are making me contemplate deleting this app entirely because they are so numerous, annoying and generally useless.

The "weather" alert is another nearly useless feature that can also border on unsafe. By definition I'm out in the weather when I'm driving, so I'm not exactly surprised by snow, fog or rain. I can see those weather conditions by looking out the windshield, and if I can't see them, I likely shouldn't be driving at all. At one point during a winter storm I just turned off the app entirely because of all the "help" I was getting that told me it was snowing ... yes, it is. Now stop interrupting me so I don't slide off the road, thanks.

There are many great and helpful alerts out there -- object on road, cops, construction, accident ahead, etc. These are generally very useful and not over-used.
enjar

Postby jedwards5702 » Tue Apr 08, 2014 1:38 am

Although some audio alerts may be annoying, other users may find it helpful. I think there should be an ALERT menu where the user can choose which audio alert they want on/off.
jedwards5702

Postby MGODLEW » Thu Feb 20, 2014 9:19 pm

While you may not make a practice of driving on the shoulder, Even "good" drives can become complacent while driving. Whether it be by radio, eating, using a cell phone or having a conversation with passengers, an Alert to divert your attention back to the road is certainly something that could be life saving.
Rank 5 US Champ & Waze Mentor | PA Forum | PA Wiki | Waze FAQ | iPhone 5s: JB iOS 7.0.6 |
Area Managing: State of Pennsylvania
MGODLEW
US Waze Champs
US Waze Champs

Postby nicnerd » Thu Feb 20, 2014 3:59 pm

I am so glad that someone else posted this. I came upon this as I was desperately seeking to find a way to remove nuisance alerts. Last week I was really trying to concentrate on my driving during a nasty snowstorm. Every half mile "snow reported ahead" are you kidding me? I am fully capable of seeing the snow in front of me! Like some others posted on this thread, I have resorted to muting all alerts, which renders the app fairly worthless, I an thinking of just deleting the app. In addition to the weather, I am not interested in reports of vehicle stopped on shoulder, animal on shoulder, or really pretty much anything on the shoulder, because I do not make a practice of driving on the shoulder.
nicnerd

Postby noname_78 » Thu Oct 24, 2013 3:53 pm

Absolutely agree though I would want more fine control than just turning off hazards. I don't want an audio alert for the countless car on side of road 'hazards' but I would still want an audio alert for much more hazardous 'object on road' hazard.
noname_78

Next

Return to Waze App Feature Requests