Average speed cameras

You MUST read the "[Guidelines] How to request and search for new features" before posting here.

If you think you've found a BUG, use the appropriate "Official Feedback" thread found in the Waze App forum (parent of this forum).

Moderators: Unholy, bextein, MGODLEW

Forum rules
[ img ]

Click the following link to read the "[Guidelines] How to request and search for new features" before opening new threads here.

If you think you've found a BUG, use the appropriate "Official Feedback" thread found in the Waze App forum (parent of this forum).

Average speed cameras

Postby Osprey06 » Sat Aug 09, 2014 2:07 pm

I found mention of average speed cameras in a few request lists, but wanted to make a thread to make sure it gets some visibility.

Average ('point to point') speed cameras are becoming more common in my area. At the moment, some of them are marked as fixed speed cameras (start and/or end position), which is something, but I can't help feeling there could be so much more.

The idea that I'd like to float is the following:
    1. Users could identify the start, finish and average speed of the relevant zones via the app, with fine tuning in WME per the current fixed speed camera procedure.
    2. Once the zones are known and locked down, Waze would warn drivers of the upcoming areas as it would a regular fixed camera.
    3. I expect Waze would be able to relatively easily calculate the Wazer's average speed for the zone (as they already do for calculating navigation times?).
    4. Once this is known, Waze calculate how the Wazer is tracking with respect to the average speed over the zone and display if they should take action to avoid an infringement. E.g., if the Wazer has been exceeding the posted limit by 10% for the first half of the zone, Waze should be able to display the average speed that the Wazer would need meet over the second half of the zone in order to correct this (i.e. how much they would need to slow down by) and the Wazer could gradually and safely reduce speed until the two numbers (current average speed and required future average speed) meet.

Obviously real-world examples would be more complex that this, but in my view it would help take one more thing off the drivers mind. Anyway, I'm sure it's more complex in reality than it is in my head, but I would love to see this as a feature!
Osprey06

Re: Average speed cameras

Postby Tweetfarangi » Thu Sep 18, 2014 9:19 am

I couldn't have put it better!

M3 London end is now getting flooded by these cameras, so having support for this in waze would mean not having to run other apps just to show average speed.
Tweetfarangi

Postby IM-goRt » Sat Sep 20, 2014 8:04 pm

+1 these are appearing throughout the UK as the preferred method of control.
IM-goRt

Postby u4ia » Tue Dec 09, 2014 3:13 pm

This type of cameras have been used for many years already, and are popping up more and more. Is an implementation of the feature in the works? Like the original poster said, it's pretty easy to set up. You just need the start point, end point and speed limit as input for the original report.

When entering a defined zone, the average speed needs to be displayed (with color code) until leaving the zone. Repetitive sounds while the average speeds is above the limit.

More advanced features can be added later. I hope to see this soon, as it's annoying and distracting having to launch another app just to record the average, when this is a typical mainstream waze feature.
u4ia

Postby JonPitchforkNinja » Sun Dec 14, 2014 6:53 pm

It is about time Waze did something for 'average speed zones' because they have been around long enough and are now common in some countries like the UK and I have seen the above suggestion working on other sat nav systems.
Helping Wazers to avoid speeding penalties must surely be one of it's main purposes.

There might also be interest in a routing option to avoid routes with high speed camera coverage, I would certainly use that as a feature as I find cameras a dangerous distraction from driving.
JonPitchforkNinja

Postby adeward » Tue Dec 16, 2014 1:46 pm

Absolutely - I thoroughly second this request. ANPR based average speed camera zone warnings would be an excellent addition to Waze's current speed camera offering.

Also to note that many of these cameras on the road are not actually active, so it would be great to be able to leverage Waze's crowd-sourced information on which of these cameras is active.
adeward

Postby vodaholic » Mon Feb 16, 2015 4:10 am

This thread needs to be bumped. They're becoming more and more common. I live in the UAE and have seen an increasing amount of these appearing in Abu Dhabi and Um Al Quawain. They'll no doubtedly hit Dubai. Worst thing is, over here they are black and have no warning that you about to come across one. Very sneaky way of bringing in revenue!
vodaholic

Postby alexandre8631 » Mon Feb 16, 2015 5:30 pm

add reporting of average speed cameras will be a great thing to improve the application. cut the danger area into four zones with audible beeps in the same area. Also include the declaration of mobile mobile cameras.
alexandre8631

Postby e4xit » Fri Oct 02, 2015 10:42 am

So I am new to the editing side of waze, but reading this am I correct in assuming that there is no way to add average speed cameras into Waze? Or are people here asking for more "advanced" functionality such as Waze calculating you average speed within the zone?

In the second half of 2015 alone in London we now have very large areas of average speed cameras:
https://tfl.gov.uk/info-for/media/press ... ty-cameras
e4xit

Postby MGODLEW » Wed Oct 07, 2015 2:52 pm

[ img ]
Rank 6 US Champ, Beta Tester & iOS Beta Leader | Waze Wishlist | Improper Edits | iPhone 6: JB iOS 9.0.2 |
Area Managing: State of Pennsylvania
MGODLEW
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps

Next

Return to Waze App Feature Requests