Average speed cameras

You MUST read the "[Guidelines] How to request and search for new features" before posting here.

If you think you've found a BUG, use the appropriate "Official Feedback" thread found in the Waze App forum (parent of this forum).

Moderators: Unholy, bextein, MGODLEW

Forum rules
Waze staff does not read this forum

This forum is made for community discussions only.
To submit a feature request to Waze, read and follow the "[Guidelines] How to request and search for new features".

If you think you've found a BUG, use the appropriate "Official Feedback" thread found in the Waze App forum (parent of this forum).

Re: Average speed cameras

Postby BeastleeUK » Sun Oct 11, 2015 11:31 am

Another vote of support here.
BeastleeUK

Postby Snappy0 » Sun Oct 18, 2015 1:29 pm

Would be ideal and along with the eventual implementation of speed limits, would top off an excellent navigational application.
Right now when travelling in areas of average cameras, I use a rival paid for navigation app as this displays my average speed which it records from the start to the end of average camera zones (and admittedly, it's a lot better at re-routing around traffic).
Snappy0

Postby gr4v1ty » Mon Oct 19, 2015 5:46 pm

I support this idea!
gr4v1ty

Postby NicolasNackaerts » Mon Oct 19, 2015 11:42 pm

+1!

We're getting more and more of these camera's in Belgium.
I think they should also get a new indication on the map because now it uses the same icon as mobile police checks. Which is a totally different thing.
NicolasNackaerts
Map Editor - Level 1
Map Editor - Level 1

Postby unsaltedrhino » Thu Oct 22, 2015 10:03 pm

+1

They're going to be turning on an average speed camera section (40 - 50mph) on the A40 going in/out of London on the 26th October. Would love to see this implemented in Waze since it was very useful in the dedicated GPS I used to use...
unsaltedrhino

Postby kfae8959 » Tue Oct 27, 2015 2:38 pm

I wonder if there's scope for dealing with all the different types of UK speed camera more specifically? I can think of three different kinds:

- fixed cameras, for which the existing message in Waze is suitable (although it shouldn't be necessary, because there are also warning signs, and the cameras themselves are very visible!)

- average speed cameras, for which the current message becomes an irritation, since the actual position of each camera is immaterial. If there are to be alerts, it would be better to have one at the beginning and one at the end of the average speed enforcement.

- cameras on managed- and smart-motorways. These enforce red-ring speed limits when they are in place, but they are not operative when the NSL is in force. It's hard to see how Waze could know that a lower speed limit was in operation, although I suppose it might infer that one was from the speed at which users were driving.

I'll leave it to the experts to think of what might be possible.

Thank you!

David
kfae8959

Postby whatnt » Wed Jun 15, 2016 2:02 pm

Looks like the requests for this have finally brought it to WME. Now if only there is a way to hide it. These aren't used in many areas as well, and the setting takes up a lot of valuable real estate in WME.
whatnt
Master Raider
Master Raider

Postby hublander » Wed Jun 15, 2016 4:26 pm

Just noticed this and already put in the zone for A13 Canning Town to Dagenham and the A100 Tower Bridge. So I will be able to see if it comes up on the App. ;) :D
Chris (Hublander)
Rank = Mostly Harmless

I am Chris you may have spoken to Chris This is different to Chris. Not to be mistaken for Chris. Now wish my mum named me Kris

[ img ][ img ][ img ]
AM North East London & South Essex
hublander
Area Manager
Area Manager

Postby JamesMorrisonDino7 » Thu Jun 16, 2016 6:36 pm

Totally agree. I found your request after composing this:

Thank you for adding the speed limit warning feature. Could you please consider a new feture: Average Speed Camera Dynamic Speed Limit warning. Average speed cameras have become very popular in the UK. A camera reads your licence plate at the start and another reads it on exit from the zone. Software calculates your average speed between these points and issues fines to speeders. I would like to see a dynamic limit warning calculated from my speed throughout the zone. For example, if I enter the zone at a speed higher than the average speed limit, then I would need to know my dynamically calculated limit to be below the average limit before exiting the zone at the next camera. Conversely, this would also provide a higher value than the average for drivers who are held up in slow traffic entering the zone. They can take advantage of the higher than average dynamically calculated limit to get to the next camera. NB often there are more than two cameras along a stretch of road (I've seen 4 or 5 in a row along a long stretch of road), so the assumption has to be made that the average is calculated between each one.

Alternatively, if you could simply display my current average speed whilst driving in each average speed camera zone (with the red warning if it's too high), then I could decide for myself. Should you consider this too confusing with the actual shown speed, perhaps a numerical indicator of how much above or below the average speed would help. I understand it is a difficult indicator to incorporate but I would find it incredibly helpful.
JamesMorrisonDino7

Postby BehnamNHappy » Mon Sep 05, 2016 6:31 am

I see in WME Average speed camera is enabled, but when I set it for a segment I don't see anything happen when I drive through that segment, what is wrong?
BehnamNHappy
Local Champ Mentor
Local Champ Mentor

PreviousNext

Return to Waze App Feature Requests