Switch to full style
You MUST read the "[Guidelines] How to request and search for new features" before posting here.

If you think you've found a BUG, use the appropriate "Official Feedback" thread found in the Waze App forum (parent of this forum).

Forum rules

Waze staff does not read this forum

This forum is made for community discussions only.
To submit a feature request to Waze, read and follow the "[Guidelines] How to request and search for new features".

If you think you've found a BUG, use the appropriate "Official Feedback" thread found in the Waze App forum (parent of this forum).
Post a reply

truck driving features

Fri Aug 02, 2013 2:09 pm

It would be wonderful to have truck driving features such as:
Indicate type of truck u are driving (semi, bob tail)
Show as truck on map
Have truck related info on map when in truck mode

Teuck drivers.are a great source of info on roads on conditions.

Re: truck driving features

Sat Aug 03, 2013 6:41 am

There will be some limited truck features coming soon which will tie in with the ability to restrict certain roads to particular types of vehicles. Not everything you want but it will be a significant development. Keep an eye out for news.

Sat Aug 03, 2013 2:05 pm

It's a good idea salty2010, however the only problems I see here is that we would have to remap 1/2 the roads again to permit semi trailers/road trains, etc...
I doubt we would see a bridge height restriction (could happen with Google though!) in Waze as this uses a lot of resources and would only benefit the few and not the many.
With all due respect to Waze, there are many 'dedicated' Truck GPS units available on the global market that would far exceed what Waze could offer a truck driver.

Sun Aug 04, 2013 7:06 pm

:geek:
What I see happening is:
-Waze enables a mode that allows users to set themselves as driving a Commercial vehicle of various types. To use USA nomenclature:
-Class A Trucks
-Class B Trucks
-Class C
-Buses
-Class B RV.

This would allow data collection to stratify by vehicle type. The advantage would be that data would not be used for map corrections or other uses that would misguide drivers of other classes. An example of this California has mandatory truck bypass sections on Interstates. For instance I5 near Sylmar has separate roadway for trucks. Trucks are required to use this roadway instead of that for cars. If one is driving a truck, one may not use the faster moving car roadway. Conversely a car might use the truck roadways to avoid jams in the car roadway.

A useful feature for truckers would be to show if truck scales or ports of entry are open or closed. This would allow truckers to know if they need to slow down or could maintain highway speed.

Sun Aug 04, 2013 7:12 pm

I don't see truck restrictions being a useful addition to Waze. Truckers have other resources for that which a better. Waze's social aspect could help truckers and non-truckers if commercial drivers were self identified. The symbols on the map could show the class of vehicle.

Truckers usually are better sources of traffic reports. They can also see more because of their height.

Mon Aug 05, 2013 2:44 am

Not a bad idea (I'm a ex truckie myself so I can see what you want to achieve). In Australia we have a similar system where as class A & Class B would be seen as multi-combination, semi-trailer (or reefer), then Class C would be rigid.
Is this similar in your county? Also what Is Class B RV?

Sent from my GT-I9100T using Tapatalk 4

Mon Aug 05, 2013 3:34 am

There is a national classification system, although the states enforce comercial vehicle law and have some variations.
Class A: combination vehicles (has trailer, doesn't include articulated)
Class B: over 20,000 pounds, one piece ( no trailer)
Class C: cars and other small vehicles
In California Class M: motorcycle and scooters over certain horsepower

Federal combination limit is 53 foot trailer, no more than 3 trailers, 65 foot maximum combined length. California allows only 2 trailers. New York allows 2 53 foot trailers on the New York Thruway (limited access toll road). There are drop yards at exits for making and breaking up doubles. Buses and RVs are classified the same way. Single piece vehicles are limited to 40 feet in length. I have driven 60 foot articulated transit buses, they are considered Class B. RVs are classified the same as commercial vehicles. However RVs do not have to be licensed nor their drivers licensed as commercial vehicles. Nor do RVs have to maintain hours of service logs. Some states classify RVs as house cars. To carry passengers (even taxis), you need an endorsement, to operate air brakes you need an endorsement. My favorite California classification, which applies to A,B,C and M is Revived Junk. If you vehicle has been written off as junk and not legal to drive and the restored to legal operating state it is classified as Revived Junk. The manufactures certification of safety no longer applies and the vehicles are inspected by the California Highway Patrol once a year.

Each State may have a port of entry with weigh stations and inspections. In the 1960s you had to stop at each port of entry and purchase a trip permit. You could also buy a year permit and put it on a special plate that had spots for each state. The were called BINGO cards. Most (but not all States) Canada and Mexico joined IFTA (International Fuel Tax Association). With IFTA you get a sticker from your home state, and track the milage in each state. Each month you turn in a statement showing the miles driven in each state and the fuel taxes paid in each state. IFTA then redistributes the fuel taxes among the states and either bills or refunds the trucking company. In addition, California and Florida have agricultural inspection stations to prevent harmful insects and diseases from spreading to their agriculture. California's agriculture inspection salutations were set up in the 1930s to keep migrants from the dust bowl ecological catastrophe from entering the state. I've seen them slicing open fruit and taking whole loads to their incinerator.

What we don't have is truck trains. I believe you call these road trains. If I ever have the privileged of visiting your country, I want to go for a ride on road train.

Back to WAZE: once commercial vehicles are included, I believe the Truck and Tour Bus drivers will adopt it and make a contribution for the common good as well as increase safety on the road.

Mon Aug 05, 2013 1:40 pm

Those classes refer to the Class of License required to drive certain types of trucks. (Side note, Class B is 26,000 pounds and up, not 20,000). Class C refers to the former CDL Class C and Non-CDL Class C license, this is no longer issued. The standard driver's license is a Class D License.

Most consumer GPS units only offer "Car" and "Truck" (if they support a truck mode). The new settings in Waze only indicate "Truck", no classes. This will work well enough for most navigation - it's up to the individual driver to know that you can't run three trailers in CA.

Full disclosure, I hold a CDL Class B License (with the Air Brake Restriction removed).

Sun Dec 15, 2013 2:21 am

ps_au wrote: there are many 'dedicated' Truck GPS units available on the global market that would far exceed what Waze could offer a truck driver.

Sadly the data in those units are 70% accurate at best, plus updates are not frequent enough for changing conditions. That's why something like Waze is sorely needed in the transportation industry.

Sun Dec 15, 2013 2:25 am

A feature to allow us to report available parking at a location would be a big help to other drivers.
Post a reply