Trucks, RVs etc.. specs for routing

You MUST read the "[Guidelines] How to request and search for new features" before posting here.

If you think you've found a BUG, use the appropriate "Official Feedback" thread found in the Waze App forum (parent of this forum).

Moderators: Unholy, bextein, MGODLEW

Forum rules
Waze staff does not read this forum

This forum is made for community discussions only.
To submit a feature request to Waze, read and follow the "[Guidelines] How to request and search for new features".

If you think you've found a BUG, use the appropriate "Official Feedback" thread found in the Waze App forum (parent of this forum).

WAZE for truckers

Postby Bat-Bike » Tue Mar 17, 2015 5:36 pm

Is there a way to program my WAZE to take my on legal trucking routes? Sometimes it takes me to places trucks aren't allowed and it takes a lot of driving time away from me.
Bat-Bike

Re: WAZE for truckers

Postby SwenVandenberk » Thu Mar 19, 2015 2:40 pm

Currently there isn't although it's been requested a few times already. Not just for legal routes, but also to get correct average speeds for trucks and to avoid that trucks report too low speeds for roads where cars can drive faster than trucks
CM Belgium
[ img ] [ img ][ img ][ img ]
BENELUX Routing Team
SwenVandenberk
Country Manager
Country Manager

Re: truck driving features

Postby adamwillis » Mon Jun 01, 2015 8:28 pm

I know I'm late to this but has anything been added? I have to drive a truck sometimes for work and we aren't provided special GPS's. The main issue I've run into that I'd like to see added to waze, is height restrictions. I know this is very specific but I think these could easily be added as time goes on and when I'm driving the Uhaul that's 13ft tall, waze would be sure to not send me under an 11 ft clearance bridge. Also, this could be a way to tag UR's too. So if a trucker reports a turn not allowed, maybe he could check a box that says truck specific? I do agree that this is not the feature that majority of waze users would need or use but it seems possible. I would think it would take as much routing thought as turning Tolls or Freeways On/Off in the user settings.
adamwillis
Map Raider
Map Raider

Re: truck driving features

Postby APettyJdabrowntruckdriva » Tue Aug 18, 2015 5:25 am

Contrary to what some may think here, if Waze ever added useful commercial tools to the app, a significant portion of their users would be commercial drivers. We are usually more in need of what Waze provides as far as traffic info, routing info and the like; it's what we do all day!
APettyJdabrowntruckdriva
Area Manager
Area Manager

Re: Trucks contribution

Postby APettyJdabrowntruckdriva » Tue Aug 18, 2015 5:37 am

gordonski wrote:The problem of this feature would be, that Waze would have to filter out the speed data of trucks when calculating average segment speeds and slow-downs, since trucks usually drive slower than cars, especially on freeways. (Over here, vehicles with a max weight above 3.5 tons are limited to 80km/h / 50mph) Furthermore we would need a totally new kind of restrictions and reports, e.g. for roads that a closed for trucks but open for cars.
So all in all this is a similiar discussion as "Waze for bicycles" and so far Waze has not shown any willingness to integrate modes for different transportation categories...

As a commercial vehicle driver (not a tractor-trailer, but under DOT laws, and drive a large vehicle), I currently keep Waze on all the time. I make frequent stops and starts in my vehicle, which at times may impact the speed data on local streets, however the reports I make, whether it be of jams I self-report, or get caught in, or road closures I mark, probabloy outweigh what ever negative impact my speed data may have. Additonally, when I do stop, while I may not do so due to traffic, often I do create traffic, hence my reporting becomes something of a self-fulfilling prophecy.

On highways, or more open thorofares, however, I drive as fast if not faster than many smaller vehicles (in my state, we are directed in the driving manual to drive at a speed similar to the traffic flow, rather than the posted speed limit, just as it is for non-commercial vehicles).

Make Waze more useful for commercial drivers, and the app will be more useful for everyone, despite having features many will not use (i.e. restrictions on weight, height, length, etc., although even these could prove somewhat useful to some of the general public, like those who rent moving vans and other oversized vehicles, not prepared for the necessity of planning a route that accomodates their larger vehicle.)
APettyJdabrowntruckdriva
Area Manager
Area Manager

Postby chriscompo » Sun Sep 20, 2015 6:18 pm

Still need a bus and Lordy even motorbike options. See lists above.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
chriscompo

Postby chriscompo » Sun Sep 20, 2015 6:21 pm

Waze should register if you have stopped at a service station, rest area or truck stop and register it as a break and then ask you if you are continuing with route. With large goods vehicles and some coaches the stop may be overnight or for the required amount of hours.

You could report if you have stopped due to lost load or tyre issue then it would appear as a hazard d :)

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
chriscompo

Postby chriscompo » Mon Sep 21, 2015 4:43 pm

Maybe waze could ask what vehicle your driving.
1) size
2) axle weight
3 ) total weight
4) width
5) height
6) low loader
7) limited speed could be entered for all roads applicable
8) driving / break times as per above

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk
chriscompo

Postby chriscompo » Tue Sep 22, 2015 6:34 am

Just thought if your driving a bus or coach you will have bus stops or service station breaks for passengers.

Could waze talk with one of the bus apps that shows real time bus movements and incorporate that data somehow? Buses do effect traffic if there are no bus lanes.

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk
chriscompo

Postby glennemay » Thu Nov 05, 2015 8:31 pm

chriscompo wrote:Maybe waze could ask what vehicle your driving.
1) size
2) axle weight
3 ) total weight
4) width
5) height
6) low loader
7) limited speed could be entered for all roads applicable
8) driving / break times as per above

So I think another fantastic addition would be for us RVers. I have along vehicle when I have my tag along behind me. Or I have a high vehicle when I have my Truck camper in.

These things make a difference when navigating through some city streets. The ability to tell Waze that I am 58' long, or 13' tall would be very helpful.

Thanks
Glenn
glennemay

PreviousNext

Return to Waze App Feature Requests