Trucks, RVs etc.. specs for routing

You MUST read the "[Guidelines] How to request and search for new features" before posting here.

If you think you've found a BUG, use the appropriate "Official Feedback" thread found in the Waze App forum (parent of this forum).

Moderators: Unholy, bextein, MGODLEW

Forum rules
Waze staff does not read this forum

This forum is made for community discussions only.
To submit a feature request to Waze, read and follow the "[Guidelines] How to request and search for new features".

If you think you've found a BUG, use the appropriate "Official Feedback" thread found in the Waze App forum (parent of this forum).

Motorhome Guide

Postby sparky112 » Wed Sep 14, 2016 7:38 am

We have been using waze for over a year and we find it invaluable for car journeys however last week end we used it in our Motorhome and although our motor home is small and we saw some beautiful things on route fortunately we met nothing coming the other way as some roads were only the width of our camper we are purchasing a larger Motorhome in November and no way would we attempt these roads in a new vehicle does your app cover size of vehicles for such occasions or it would be great if you could put the size of your vehicle into the app
sparky112

Re: Motorhome Guide

Postby vince1612 » Wed Sep 14, 2016 11:28 am

sparky112 wrote:We have been using waze for over a year and we find it invaluable for car journeys however last week end we used it in our Motorhome and although our motor home is small and we saw some beautiful things on route fortunately we met nothing coming the other way as some roads were only the width of our camper we are purchasing a larger Motorhome in November and no way would we attempt these roads in a new vehicle does your app cover size of vehicles for such occasions or it would be great if you could put the size of your vehicle into the app

I merged your new thread with an existing one on this topic. Please always search before posting as specified in the forum rules visible in the red text box ahead.

Regarding voting up this suggestion, please see my previous post in this thread.
[ img ]
Wiki & Forum: Wiki CH (D) (FR) | Forum CH (D) (FR) (I)
1+1=3 - The result of bringing talents together goes beyond simply adding them up.
vince1612
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs

Re: Trucks, RVs etc.. specs for routing

Postby gus-missfitz » Thu Sep 15, 2016 7:13 pm

There are but two things that would be amazing to truckers:

- location of weigh stations (and a proximity warning to let them know)
- rest stop locations (state ones, not truck stops)

Also, the ability to add more than one stop and/or to plan a route. I often have as many as 6 stops in one day, I have to use Google Maps to plan my route, and then I can only have two stops in Waze at a time?
gus-missfitz

Postby KTCAOP » Thu Sep 15, 2016 9:34 pm

The "best way in Waze" (meaning the best that we have) is to put in the final destination first, and then put in your first stop. After reaching your first stop, put in your second, stop, so on and so forth.

Rest stop locations are added in some states I believe. Weigh stations I am not aware of right now.
KTCAOP

Postby usa_08gfylk0 » Mon Sep 19, 2016 4:59 pm

I see this issue discussed and a comment that something was coming soon. I just did a trip to move my daughter to NYC with a small trailer and it was very tough getting around all the parkway restrictions. I'd think things like that would be very easy to database as they're pretty much known. Can't really understand why there is a category for Taxi's when this seems to be a much bigger issue.
usa_08gfylk0

Postby vince1612 » Mon Sep 19, 2016 9:16 pm

usa_08gfylk0 wrote:I see this issue discussed and a comment that something was coming soon.

What is "coming soon" is only planned but with no clear ETA, and will be support for other vehicle types than private vehicle and taxi but simply for which roads they can or cannot drive on.

What this topic is about however is other specs than simply allowed or not, such as height and weight restrictions etc.. Those are not planned at all by staff at the moment.

On the Waze Map Editor side, volunteer editors are pretty much ready to support road driving restrictions for other types because it has already been possible to setup on the road segments for some time.
However the data for vehicle size etc.. simply does not even exist and we have nowhere to input that information on segments, so before it could even be planned to be supported we would first need to be able to add this data in. If/when we ever get the possibility to do that, even then it would take volunteers a LOT of time to start from a blank slate and add this info on the world map before it could be considered reliable enough by special sized vehicles.
[ img ]
Wiki & Forum: Wiki CH (D) (FR) | Forum CH (D) (FR) (I)
1+1=3 - The result of bringing talents together goes beyond simply adding them up.
vince1612
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs

Postby HXR9334PA » Fri Sep 23, 2016 9:23 am

I have to agree - weigh stations open/closure (input by users) and let truckers know when they are approaching a rest area in 5 miles.
HXR9334PA

Postby m4rc072 » Fri Sep 30, 2016 6:51 am

Unfortunately for the moment this matter is closed, it does not fall in the Waze road Map

Inviato dal mio OPO con tapatalk
[ img ][ img ][ img ][ img ]
WAZE latest Beta, Android 9 on Honor 10
m4rc072
Waze Local Champs
Waze Local Champs

Request: Truck friendly routes

Postby kingkev1220 » Fri Oct 14, 2016 12:31 am

I am a route delivery driver, and often times I don't know where my next delivery is, so I like to use my GPS. I would like to request a feature where you can enter that you are driving a tractor trailer and the app routes you on truck friendly routes. Avoiding low clearance and low weight limit bridges would be extremely helpful, as well as the navigation system steering you clear of the "no trucks allowed" areas. I understand that this could take a lot of work, but I have faith in my fellow Wazers!
kingkev1220

Postby world_5uyf9a39 » Fri Oct 21, 2016 10:20 am

I drive a HGV in the UK and I think Waze is missing a trick here if you introduced a Truckers vehicle attribute's feature which includes height, length and weight and allowed users to identify roads with height, weight, width restrictions also gradient, susceptibility to side wind and suitability for HGV's etc the user community would collate the data for you in no time. You would then be able to sell the data to other interested parties!

Routing & Rerouting would would just have to use an algorithm which takes these factors into account I don't see it as something which would be difficult to achieve just write the script!
world_5uyf9a39

PreviousNext

Return to Waze App Feature Requests