Trucks, RVs etc.. specs for routing

You MUST read the "[Guidelines] How to request and search for new features" before posting here.

If you think you've found a BUG, use the appropriate "Official Feedback" thread found in the Waze App forum (parent of this forum).

Moderators: Unholy, bextein, MGODLEW

Forum rules
Waze staff does not read this forum

This forum is made for community discussions only.
To submit a feature request to Waze, read and follow the "[Guidelines] How to request and search for new features".

If you think you've found a BUG, use the appropriate "Official Feedback" thread found in the Waze App forum (parent of this forum).

Re: Avoiding certain streets?

Postby smedman-x » Thu Nov 10, 2016 12:46 am

Seems it would be easy-ish to add a map edit section where users could add bridges / bridge heights and clearances, no? I have started using wave with my motorhome, but this would be very helpful!
smedman-x

Truck Version

Postby uscrew96 » Sat Nov 12, 2016 5:21 pm

Have you thought about Truckers version? It would be nice to see it happen.
uscrew96

Re: Trucks, RVs etc.. specs for routing

Postby gordonski » Mon Nov 14, 2016 10:09 am

world_5uyf9a39 wrote:I drive a HGV in the UK and I think Waze is missing a trick here if you introduced a Truckers vehicle attribute's feature which includes height, length and weight and allowed users to identify roads with height, weight, width restrictions also gradient, susceptibility to side wind and suitability for HGV's etc the user community would collate the data for you in no time. You would then be able to sell the data to other interested parties!

Routing & Rerouting would would just have to use an algorithm which takes these factors into account I don't see it as something which would be difficult to achieve just write the script!

Seeing that the routing algorithm is the core-element of the Waze software, I assume that implementing the changes you suggest is a little more work than just writing a few lines of java script. Just take the parameters you mentioned in your first sentence. These alone are 9 interacting factors, which currently do not exist in Waze's data model at all (afaik) and would impact the algorithm. I think this is more complicated than just "writing the damn script". E.g. how would interpret side-wind. Should Waze avoid roads which are susceptable to side wind, when your vehicle is higher than x feet? What if there is no wind and the road is absolutely safe to use? Should users provide real-time meteorological data? What influence does gradient have on routing? Should Waze avoid slopes steeper than 5% when you drive a truck? How will it determine the capabilities of your vehicle? Solely based on weight and dimensions?
I totally agree with you in the point that these features would be super-useful for truckers. But since Waze was originally created for car-commuters to facilitate their daily way to work and back home, I guess this means that a large part of the code needs to be rewritten.

Gordonski (software developer)
No stop signs, speed limit[ img ]Nobody's gonna slow me down!
Area Manager in DN/BM/AC (NRW)
Wiki | Liste aller Gemeinden/Städte
gordonski
Waze Local Champs
Waze Local Champs

Postby vince1612 » Fri Nov 25, 2016 12:49 pm

adriansinger wrote:Professional Driver? We want your opinion!

This forum is for all the professional drivers around the globe who use Waze.

Waze is a very important tool for professional drivers. With Waze, professional drivers can get the most accurate ETAs and find the fastest routes to get to their customers. Waze professional drivers are very important to Waze, and we would like to understand better the needs of professionals so we can improve our services accordingly,

If you are a Professional Driver please take 10 minutes and fill out this survey.

We'll also use this dedicated forum to maintain communication with you. We'd love to hear your feedback and we'll be glad to share with you our future developments to help you out. So participate!

Thanks,
The Waze Team
[ img ]
Wiki & Forum: Wiki CH (D) (FR) | Forum CH (D) (FR) (I)
1+1=3 - The result of bringing talents together goes beyond simply adding them up.
vince1612
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs

Re: Vehicle Type = RV

Postby fyoory » Fri Feb 17, 2017 7:53 pm

Seconded as an RV owner it would be useful to use waze and not have to buy a GPS thats specific to RVs.
fyoory

Postby azjohnnyo » Sat Feb 18, 2017 4:12 pm

I think that having at least notification of Rest Areas and Bridge height would be a great help to RV'er's out there. I would think this would be simple to add via user input?
azjohnnyo

Parking height

Postby cadsite » Tue Mar 14, 2017 2:25 pm

At work we can choose between a VW Caddy (height 1,89m) and a BMW 316 (lower :P ).
Today only the BMW was available, so we took that one.
At Brussels I drove into a parking, close to our destination thanks to waze.
The parking is very low, the max. height is 1,75m. Luckily we were there with the bmw and not the Caddy.
It would be a nice feature if the max. height would be announced of parking space.

Feel free to vote:
https://waze.uservoice.com/forums/59223 ... ing-height
cadsite

Postby cadsite » Sun Mar 19, 2017 2:28 pm

I completely understand that routing with heights is a lot work, but adding a height to parking spots should be rather simple, no?
cadsite

Routes for motorcycles and RVs

Postby K_Cook » Thu Aug 10, 2017 9:05 pm

We have a motorcycle and also a 40' camper. On a recent trip to NY, Waze correctly directed us to our destination but the road had a bridge that was not high enough for our camper to fit under. Fortunately, the bridge posted it's height but the sign was on the bridge itself and we had a difficult time turning around. Another time, while on our motorcycle, we knew there was traffic but the route Waze sent us included driving thru a very busy city tunnel. If there was no traffic, the route would have been fine. But we obviously couldn't turn around and the heat and exhaust filled air inside the tunnel was horrible and we had no choice but to deal with it. Is there a way to pick what type or size vehicle and get the best route for each vehicle?
K_Cook

Re: Routes for motorcycles and RVs

Postby RussPA » Thu Aug 10, 2017 9:31 pm

There are no plans to add support for vehicle types as you are asking, I believe car and taxi support is all that's going to be available. It's a very large issue to deal with, for several reasons, and not in the plans for Waze any time soon. Sorry.
[ img ] [ img ] [ img ] [ img ] [ img ][ img ] [ img ]
Assistant Regional Coordinator - NOR
Local Champ - US
WME Beta Community Coordinator
RussPA
US Waze Champs
US Waze Champs

PreviousNext

Return to Waze App Feature Requests