Use of "feet" as unit of measurement

You MUST read the "[Guidelines] How to request and search for new features" before posting here.

If you think you've found a BUG, use the appropriate "Official Feedback" thread found in the Waze App forum (parent of this forum).

Moderators: Unholy, bextein, MGODLEW

Forum rules
[ img ]

Click the following link to read the "[Guidelines] How to request and search for new features" before opening new threads here.

If you think you've found a BUG, use the appropriate "Official Feedback" thread found in the Waze App forum (parent of this forum).

Use of "feet" as unit of measurement

Postby timpent » Thu Oct 23, 2014 9:39 am

Dear Waze, please will you either get rid of feet as a unit of measurement and use yards instead, or at least allow users to choose between feet and yards.

When the voice says "Turn left onto XYX in 1000 feet" I have no intuitive idea of how far away 1000 feet is, however, I do know how far away 300 yards is. Feet as a unit of measurement in a SatNav app is just too small a unit.

Thanks
timpent

Re: Use of "feet" as unit of measurement

Postby RAC__ » Fri Oct 24, 2014 10:50 am

Seconded!

It's a difference between American and British - the Yanks like using big numbers.

This could easily be sorted by changing the Kilometres/Miles setting to Kilometres/MilesFeet/MilesYards.

Whatcha think Waze?
RAC
RAC__

Postby AlanOfTheBerg » Fri Oct 24, 2014 4:25 pm

Yards is planned.
Wiki Resources: Map Editing Manual | alanoftheberg@gmail.com
Oregon-based US Country Manager | iPhone6 - VZ
AlanOfTheBerg
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps

Postby nad1927 » Tue Jun 09, 2015 5:25 am

This is a suggestion---ignore it if you want to: Try to use yards rather than feet. I'm an American my whole life, but my main sport uses meters. When I see something like 230 yards---it's easy for me to just say, oh, it's a little less than 230m. But 800 ft actually requires me to convert. Runners, especially anyone who ran track, prefer yards to feet. The old track events were 110 (yds), 220, 440, 880 and mile. Today all the tracks have been relined in metric, and high school cross country uses 3km and 5km, but runners still think minutes per mile. In the past, I felt I could handle both sets of units. The last two years, though, I've been doing extensive engineering calculations in both units. You'd think it would be easier the more you used both, but it's not. It's like I'm getting more removed from really understanding either. Anyway, I find my brain obviously prefers metric, and most engineering calculations are easier, even if I have to convert back to English at the end. Using yards helps me, and probably is easier for foreigners living here. Sorry for the rant, but my brain just can't take it anymore.

And since this is a feature request section: I want miles for travel distance and speed---because using km in America would be ludicrous---but I want meters for turns when the distance is below 1000m or so. I believe foreign travelers to the U.S. would prefer a miles/meters setting because almost all vehicles here have gauges in miles, and obviously the signage is all in miles. But once it gets to human distances, meters are the most comfortable unit.
nad1927

Postby retrocruizer » Sat Jun 20, 2015 7:04 am

I disagree. I prefer the usage of feet. Some of the places like turns and things in my area are real close together so by using feet instead of yards will give me a more precise description a foot is smaller than a yard. Sometimes we have two turn offs going in the same direction that are real close together.
retrocruizer

Postby nad1927 » Sat Oct 10, 2015 1:29 am

retrocruizer wrote:I disagree. I prefer the usage of feet. Some of the places like turns and things in my area are real close together so by using feet instead of yards will give me a more precise description a foot is smaller than a yard. Sometimes we have two turn offs going in the same direction that are real close together.

Honestly I don't believe using feet is more precise than yards or meters, because of the speeds involved.

But I do respect that you prefer feet, which is why Waze should offer a variety of settings in the preferences. And I'm still holding out for an option to use miles (to match the speedometer and road signs) and meters for turns when it's less than about 1000 meters.
nad1927

Postby NPBA » Tue Nov 03, 2015 1:09 am

AlanOfTheBerg wrote:Yards is planned.

I see that "yards" was planned over a year ago. What has happened? Really need miles/metres or miles/yards. Miles/feet just does not work (at least in UK).
NPBA

Miles and... feet?

Postby DaveJFT » Tue Apr 12, 2016 3:02 pm

Hi Folks,

May I propose that "feet" distance is replaced by "yards"?

When travelling in a car a foot is a very small distance to visualize. Personally I struggle to visualize a distance in feet while driving as I think most people would do. In order to judge a distance I have to do quick mental flip-flops to divide the feet distance by 3 to get it into yards before I can fully comprehend the directions I'm being given; all this while trying to navigate a busy, unfamiliar route and pick from two junctions that might close together. To justify this further, all our road signs in my country (UK) are in miles and yards - not feet.
DaveJFT

Postby RogerIvy » Sat Apr 16, 2016 8:42 am

Agree - yards would be much better.
RogerIvy

Postby Vipa66 » Mon Apr 18, 2016 8:05 am

Please give us yards or at least allow us to mix miles and metres..

Feet is useless in the UK.. I switch waze on as I like the extra features it gives me over Google maps and then end up turning it off and using Google at the first mention of feet!

Feet just don't work!

I am very close to just giving up and uninstalling!
Vipa66

Next

Return to Waze App Feature Requests